Photo

Question re: DIY materials...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caroline

caroline
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Like card stock of a certain weight? Does one have to go to a specialty store for this? I've gone to my Michael's and another craft store, and though they had card stock in various colours, the guy looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for card stock that weighed 80lb...

Shouldn't these types of stores also carry other craft tools? And if so, just how expensive is it going to get purchasing such things as 'rotary paper trimmers,' herma dottos, blades, Crop-a-Diles and other such gadgets? Am I crazy to not just have someone else do them for me? I want to have fun with the crafting, etc., but don't want to break the bank in the process!

#2 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
    • VIP Member
    • 18,452 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

i know that derek bought the paper cutter that we are using at staples but it looks like an actual paper cutter from grade school (the one with the handle you swing down) and he got cardstock there too. I also got cardstock from WB Mason. We got the corner cutters and palm tree cut out from Michaels. I think if you look around the scrapbooking section you'll find a lot of the stuff in that isle. I know i saw the paper trimmers and other stuff in Michaels. Maybe just ask someone else, maybe that kid just doesn't know.

I kind of regret buying all this stuff cause it does add up, especially since i've been seeing all of the invites that Sarah's been doing. I heard her prices are great. I think it would of been just as much or close to just have her do them. Plus it would save me a ton of time. I feel like i have a ton of things to do and invites i really don't feel like doing now. Have you priced any invitations?
      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#3 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
      • Moderators
      • 25,218 posts
      • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
      • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

i know for me, i already have most of the supplies cause i've been an avid "stamper" for the last 10 years, and a lot of us are crafty like that and have the stuff. but i always get my cardstock at paperzone, a local store, they sell by the sheet and in packages, 80 lb, 100 lb, etc in MANY colors. you can go online to Paper Zone / Inspire / Design / Create to buy the packages only. over the years i've bought my supplies at paperzone, michaels, and other craft stores, as well as places like joann fabric.

also, because i've bought over the years, it didn't add up all at once for me, but i guess that's advice too late for you

#4 monicabrandon2008

monicabrandon2008
      • 794 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Like you had a hard time finding the 80lb cardstock at local stores. I asked and they looked at me crazy to LOL

I ended up buying my paper at paperpresentation.com and they delivered the paper quick!
        HIGH FIVE, WE'RE MARRIED!!!
        http://i51.photobuck...vtburks/1-4.jpg

#5 Monique

Monique
        • 415 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

Paper Source is another great resource....Paper Source - Do Something Creative Every Day
          I use them for most of my supplies and Hobby Lobby is great I like it better than Michaels...not sure if you have one near you!!!!

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

i found a better selection at office stores. it was easier to get the color i wanted with a matching envelope.

#7 caroline

caroline
            • 697 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

Thanks guys... I shall give those places a try.

I haven't priced any invitations yet, though will be putting in a request for a quote with Sarah now!

#8 Emily&Matt

Emily&Matt
              • 144 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

It is expensive to buy a lot of tools unless you are going to keep making things later. If you are only going to make a few things, like just your invitations, you might as well let someone else do it.

#9 starfish kate

starfish kate
                • 455 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Try eBay for the tools. I've gotten some great deals.
                  Kate

#10 caroline

caroline
                  • 697 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Ordered a 'tool kit deluxe' from eBay...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users