Ever Been On A Cruise?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jessica

Jessica
  • VIP Member
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Brian and I have been interested on going on a cruise ever since we were in St Thomas and kept seeing all the cruise ships pull up to port.

Neither he nor I have ever been on one. There's so many cruise lines, I'm not sure where to start. We'd prefer a cruise for a younger crowd, but by younger crowd I don't really want it to be like a spring break type of crowd (ie. no hoochie mamas running around or frat type boys acting like drunk fools).

We also want to start out with something short, like a 3 day cruise because I'm not sure how long I can hack being on a cruise ship.

So yeah, please tell me about what cruises you've been on, what you did and didn't like, etc. Thanks!

#2 sassybride

sassybride
    • Banned
    • 294 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

royal carribean = awesome cruise ships and absolutely loved the newer one with the surfing on it (I thknk it's called explorer of the seas but not 100% sure) The other one ive been on is celebrity cruises...a bit higher end but same company as R.C! Lots of fun but a bit of an older crowd then R.C when I went.
      Staying at...RIU PALACE LOS CABOS

(Reception at the Westin Los Cabos)55 Guests attending

#3 stacey

stacey

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 4,853 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

I love the Carnival Mexican cruise, it starts at three day cruises But It might be diffrent for me because they take off out of california and thats where I live. Im not sure about New Jeresey
        Stacey & Ely 10.14.2008

#4 JennyK

JennyK
        • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

I LOVE cruising. I've been on Royal Caribbean - Adventure of the Seas, Princess - Golden Princess, & Norwegian - Pride of Hawaii.

They're all really great but I'd say Royal Caribbean is the BEST.

#5 Jessica

Jessica
          • VIP Member
          • 11,939 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JennyK
            I LOVE cruising. I've been on Royal Caribbean - Adventure of the Seas, Princess - Golden Princess, & Norwegian - Pride of Hawaii.

They're all really great but I'd say Royal Caribbean is the BEST.
            Jenny, do you ever leave out of the local ports (NY, Philly, etc) or do you usually fly to Florida or something? As of now I am expecting to fly somewhere for the cruise, but if I can catch a nice cruise out of the area that would be awesome!!!

#6 jonathan canlas

jonathan canlas
            • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

this is great info. my wife has been trying to convince me to go on a cruise and it sounds like the rc is the way to go...thanks!

#7 JennyK

JennyK
              • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian
                Jenny, do you ever leave out of the local ports (NY, Philly, etc) or do you usually fly to Florida or something? As of now I am expecting to fly somewhere for the cruise, but if I can catch a nice cruise out of the area that would be awesome!!!
                Everytime, I've flown to Puerto Rico and picked up the ship there. I do it that way so I can incorporate PR as a destination as well. My mom has sailed out of Bayonne, NJ and she said it was really great bc you're not paying airfare. I just think those cruises are a little longer.. like 9 days instead of 7. I think there's 3 day cruises that leave from there and go to Bermuda.

BTW, you'll be fine on a cruise longer than 3 days. It's like a floating hotel. They're all so HUGE that even by the end, you'll realize there's sections you never even saw. There's always something to do and different restaurants to eat at. Plus, you'll be getting off at a port almost everyday. Every cruise has a day or more at sea but those are always fun too.

#8 Jessica

Jessica
                • VIP Member
                • 11,939 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

I was just checking out the RC website and saw the Bayonne location cruises. You make cruises sound so fun. I was worried I'd be bored, but sounds like there's a lot to do. I want to go on one now!!! Thanks for the info.

#9 JennyK

JennyK
                  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian
                    I was just checking out the RC website and saw the Bayonne location cruises. You make cruises sound so fun. I was worried I'd be bored, but sounds like there's a lot to do. I want to go on one now!!! Thanks for the info.
                    Believe me..the only thing you'd have to worry about is getting sea sick. I do really bad but I just talk dramamine and some ginger candy and I'm good. Cruising really is a lot of fun.. start out with the 3-day one. If you like it, step it up to a 7 day! hehe I wanna do a 2 week cruise from my honeymoon.. we'll see!

#10 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                    • 26,161 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

I've only been on a week long European cruise which was on a river (which was awesome) but that's a little different.

Recently we looked into this as well and I strongly recommend visiting Cruise Critic - Cruises, Cruise Ship Reviews, Ratings, Cruise Deals, Cruise Forums It's like BDW but only cruise info.

Also my TA said that Norweigan and one other (I think Celebrity?) are the only moderately priced cruise lines that offer you flexibility to eat when you want and not have to be assigned a time and a table with strangers...to us that's important because on vacation we like to be alone, not making small talk with Tom from Tacoma (I think we're a bit anti-social...lol)

Have fun planning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users