What time should our wedding be?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Thanks! very helpful.

The sunset lighting I'm talking about is when the sky looks like the sky in Matt's siggy pic. Or maybe that's something the photographer captures with their camera settings. I honestly don't know how it works. When I watched Matt & Sol's video the sky didn't look as intense as it turned out in their pictures, so it must be photographer magic. Shutter speeds?

Also, this picture of Nics • TAMARACK STUDIOS •

And Jean-Marcus posted a wedding with beautiful sunset pics.

I wish I knew more about this when I scheduled my wedding. I'm worried we'll be outside during the harshest part of the day & eatting dinner when it's beautiful.
Our siggy pic was taken by Photographer Jonathan Adams in Teton County Wyoming after then sun went over the mountains and just before a rain storm, shot with my Point and Shoot Canon 750 Powershot. No photoshop magic at all...

Its all about timing and NO DIRECT sunlight. the lower the sun is on the horizen the better the clouds color will be, also the later in the day. THIS IS ALSO a fact. The more of the atmoshpere that is filtered by the sun the more colors you will see (hence the low sun on the horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBride View Post

These were shot probably about 30 - 45 mins before scheduled sunset

Click the image to open in full size.

This one was shot I think pretty much right at scheduled sunset (maybe 15 minutes before). We had stopped taking pictures for about 15 minutes to half an hour at this point, and then we went back to try to get just this one with a sunset (she said she would try playing around with editing since the sunset was not that good)

I has posted this elsewhere, here was the schedule of my day. I think it worked out really well (allowed my photographer to take 2000 photos!). It would have worked equally well I think if we had started about a half hour to an hour later, but I didn't mind having extra time. If you have 2 photographers you could condense the time more, seeing as I had to leave time after my photos for the groom's photos, so I just hung out in the room for an hour

We would prefer for your ceremony to start 20-30 minutes before sunset. The light in the sky at the end of your photo session is just about perfect for us.

my opinion on this: (allowed my photographer to take 2000 photos!)...

Every photog has different styles and different editing styles... Some have happy trigger fingers (like a lead foot in driving). We shoot nearly 2000 frames in a 8 hour wedding too however years of experience and my editing style has taught me to edit down to a tighter edit (500-600) for best results.

regardless, the point it to make your clients happy and I'm sure sunbride's is a happy client.

WHich is why we recommend a ceremony start time for every wedding. I could go through hours of explanation on the phone with any bride, if you want to hear it :)

ok, hope this settles things...

good luck gals,

mateo

Oh yes, receiving 2000 photos was quite overwhelming! My photographer choose to give us almost all the photos she shot (she said she only had to delete a very small number due to blinking). She definitely could have given us only about 1000-1500 and I would have been just as happy (seeing as there were so many duplicates or very similar photos). But I didn't mind her doing it this way, as it allowed me to choose the ones I like best (i.e. I am better at judging in which photos our smiles are natural / the way I like). But yes, definitely overwhelming to get so many photos!

All I meant was to say that we took photos in tons of different locations and poses, which we could not have done in much less time. Just want girls to realize that you can't expect your photographers to do an amazing job and give you tons of photos if you only give them a couple hours to shoot photos.

In terms of sunset times, I guess speak to your photographer! Matt's preference for ceremony and photo time is obviously vastly different that my photographer's (likely due to experience and/or equipment) as she wanted us to do our ceremony as early as possible because the photo session would have to end about half an hour before sunset because she said after that it was too dark. And if you are going with a resort photographer who you don't usually communicate much with beforehand, then I would say go earlier (based on my expereince I would suggest 3 hours before sunset) seeing as it's unlikely they have the experience and equipment to take great photos when it gets dark.

Honestly, we didn't do HOURS worth of photos after the ceremony. I think it was only about an hour. We are on a more strict schedule at Las Caletas, but I was more than happy with the amount of photos we received from that time period.

I guess that aspect comes down to personal preference. If I told my DH that we would be doing photos for 2 hours after the ceremony, I think I would have been alone in most of the shots. No way I could get him to be that patient. I don't think I could have been that patient either, considering we took pics for about an hour before the ceremony as well. We photographed separately prior to the ceremony so our only shots together were after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Honestly, we didn't do HOURS worth of photos after the ceremony. I think it was only about an hour. We are on a more strict schedule at Las Caletas, but I was more than happy with the amount of photos we received from that time period.
yeah, i agree...hours of photos is enough to kill someone. 1 hr should be fine and what we recommend. A cocktail hour is sufficient. After all, the wedding shouldnt be planned around the photographer needing time but the brides schedule and in this timeline of 1 hr post ceremony, its all perfect for us.

Interesting comments, as they are so different from my photographer's position. She was very pushy for more time (but at least I knew this when I hired it so it was not a surprise). I do remember thinking at one point during the pre wedding discussions "I want to enjoy my wedding day, not organize the whole thing around taking pictures"! But in the end it worked out that I had lots of time to do my make-up and get dressed and stuff, and I am very happy with the large number and variety of photos I got so if I was to do it again I would definitely do the same schedule.

I guess your personal preference for amount of photos and also the photographer's preference and experience should be the deciding factors.

But again, my advice would be if you are going with a resort photographer, more time would be better since they are generally not as highly skilled