Ceviche Question

I'm making Ceviche for the first time for my Supper Club that meets tomorrow and I'm about to pop out to get my ingredients. I'll be marinating the fish overnight in lime juice to "cook" it. I'm just wondering if fish at the supermarket is sufficient or if I should make the trip to the fish market. What do you think?

Here's the recipe I'm using:

Mexican Ceviche

Ingredients

16 ounces halibut fillet or sea bass fillet or red snapper fillet (or use a mixture of fish and shrimp)

5-6 lime (Enough Juice to cover fish)

1 cup diced fresh tomato

1 green pepper, sweet, chopped

1/4 cup chopped parsley or chopped cilantro

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon oregano

2 jalapeno pepper, chopped (or more to suit your taste)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

1/16 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

lettuce leaves (to line serving bowls)

avocado (optional)

black olive, sliced (for garnish) (optional)

Directions

1Dice the fish (approximately 1/2-inch dice if using shrimp use cleaned shrimp).

2Marinate fish in the lime juice in the fridge overnight (this step cooks the fish).

3Stir often.

4Pour off most of the lime juice (just leave it moist).

5Add remaining ingredients except lettuce, avocado and olive. Do this preferably a few hours before serving & refrigerate.

6Toss well and arrange in individual serving bowls that are lined with the lettuce leaves.

7If you wish garnish with sliced avocado and sliced black olives.

i've only ever has shrimp ceviche as well, but never made either version. but, my mouth is watering! i've been on a mexican food craving ever since we decided to do the mexico wedding!

good luck karen! let us know how it turns out!

karen you are in luck. i was watching the rick bayless show one plate at a time yesterday and it was all about ceviche! in regards to your supermarket vs fish market question, i bet the fish market fish is fresher.

anyway rick made 2 kinds. i am posting the recipes for you here below. he didn't soak the fish in lime juice overnight which is why im posting, he actually said something about how 45 mins is sufficient time for the lime juice to penetrate the fish. jose was practically drooling when he was done making this on the show, now he wants ceviche so bad! haha

Tropical Beach Ceviche

Ceviche Playero

Makes about 3 ½ cups, serving 6 generously as an appetizer

Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time

Ingredients

8 ounces sea scallops, cut crosswise into thin slices (you can use small bay scallops, too, and simply cut in them half)

1 cup fresh grapefruit juice

1 large Oaxacan pasilla chile, stemmed

OR 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo

4 garlic cloves, unpeeled

2 tablespoons chopped piloncillo or brown sugar

Salt

2 cups diced tropical fruit (I like a mixture of mango, the large Mexican papaya and pineapple—but you can vary it depending on what’s available)

½ small red onion, thinly sliced

About 1 cup peeled, diced jícama

Directions

1. Marinate the scallops. In a small non-reactive bowl (glass or stainless steel are best), combine the sliced (or cut) scallops and the grapefruit juice. Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes while you’re putting together the remaining ingredients.

2. Prepare the flavoring. If using the Oaxacan pasilla chile, toast it on both sides in a small ungreased skillet over medium heat until the kitchen fills with its smoky aroma. Cover with hot tap water and allow to rehydrate for about 20 minutes. If using canned chipotle chiles, simply remove them from their canning liquid and place in a blender.

In a small skillet over medium heat, roast the garlic, turning regularly, until soft and blotchy black in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and peel.

Drain the scallops; measure 2/3 cup of the juice and discard the rest.

Drain the Oaxacan pasilla chile and place in the blender, along with the garlic, piloncillo (or brown sugar), reserved grapefruit juice marinade and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth. Pour in a bowl.

3. Finishing the ceviche. To the flavoring, add the fruit, onion and optional jícama. Stir in the scallops. Taste and season with salt, usually about ½ teaspoon. You can refrigerate your ceviche for an hour or so before serving, or scoop it into small dishes or martini glasses and enjoy right away.

Salt-and-Pepper Ceviche

Ceviche Salpimentado

Makes 1 quart, serving 6 to 8 as an appetizer

Recipe from Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time

Ingredients

1 pound sashimi-quality boneless, skinless halibut (or other large-flake or steak-y light-color fish like marlin, snapper or albacore tuna), cut into ½-inch pieces or slightly smaller

1 small red onion, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon fresh coarse-ground black pepper

¾ cup fresh lime juice

Salt

1 small ripe avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from the skin and cut into ½-inch cubes

2 to 3 tablespoons (lightly packed) cilantro leaves

Directions

1.Marinating the fish. Scoop the fish into a non-reactive bowl and mix in the onion, black pepper and lime juice. Refrigerate, stirring frequently, for 45 minutes.

2.Finishing the ceviche. Season the ceviche highly with salt (usually about 1 teaspoon)—keeping in mind that the saltiness of the juice will dissipate as the fish absorbs the flavors.

Spread the ceviche onto a smallish deep platter, then dot with the avocado and cilantro leaves. You’re ready to serve.

You'll be fine with fish from a supermarket. If you use sea bass or snapper you may have to go to a fish monger just for selection as not all grocery stores carry it - they are both pretty expensive fishes. You can substitute Halibut, Grouper, Orange Roughy, or Tuna. The technique also works with shellfish like shrimp and scallops.

You want to look for firm flesh with no dark spots if you are buying fresh. If you can, smell the fish. You want it to smell salty & oceany - not tangy.

If you buy frozen, freshness won't be a problem. To thaw, keep it in your fridge or under cool running water. NEVER thaw anything on a counter!

Hope that helps!

Thanks everybody!! Maura, those recipes sound awesome. Think I'm going to try shrimp and scallops. I'm so excited to make it. I've only had ceviche in Mexico and Puerto Rico. Living in Upstate NY, you really don't see it on the menus here. So I've been dying to try it.