Photo

Email STD's - Is this ok or tacky?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Freckles

Freckles
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

I am thinking about sending my STD's out by email and adding a link to my website that has all of our wedding information on it. My question though is is it acceptable these days to send an STD/invite through email? I can see it being ok for our friends who are our age and use email on day to day basis but for my parents and their friends/family friends we are inviting will it just seem tacky?

#2 JennyK

JennyK
    • 3,502 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:44 AM

IMO, I don't think it's a good idea bc it can get deleted real easy before they update their calendars. I also think it's more personal sending them out. Also, not everyone remembers to check email.. lol

#3 Myda77

Myda77
      • 821 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:48 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by JennyK
        IMO, I don't think it's a good idea bc it can get deleted real easy before they update their calendars. I also think it's more personal sending them out. Also, not everyone remembers to check email.. lol
        Yeah, I agree with this. It can easily get deleted. I mailed out the STD with my website info, which I think you can do no problem. Not everyone is very computer savvy, so they will probably need the STD as a reminder of the date and maybe even travel info.
        Maida & Tomas
        Circa 2004 - Our first picture together!

#4 Agape Gems

Agape Gems
        • 1,260 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

I think it's good to give people something tangible to remember to "save the date". I always post them on my refrigerator so that I think about it on a regular basis. Plus, I think for DWs, the STD is more like the official invitation b/c people need to start making plans far in advance to attend. It's not like they just need to block out a saturday. And there are tons of ideas on here for creative and inexpensive STDs. Just MHO though.
          See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

#5 frazali

frazali
          • 245 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

I agree with the other posters - may not be such a great idea. The misdirection of the email to a SPAM folder would probably be my biggest issue.

#6 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 9,504 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

I agree with the above. I think your guests need to have a piece of paper in their hands to tell them about the wedding. You can certainly include your website and even direct them to RSVP that way. I also send out periodic e-mail updates to tell guests to check out the website for updated info, added photos, etc.

#7 Jenn

Jenn
              • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

I guess I went against the grain on this... Our wedding was fairly small, and we were attempting to book our entire hotel (13 rooms) and only had a hold on it for 2 weeks. We sent email invites/STD's and managed to get almost all of our guests booked in a 2 week timeframe! We did send message in a bottle invites, but we sent them about a month before the wedding - more as a keepsake - with a travel trifold. We felt that the email invite got our guests booked, but the MIB invite gave people the etiquette some family members would expect.

#8 FYB87

FYB87
                • 976 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

I did initially thinki about doing this, but after thinking about it I changed my mind. I want my guest to have a constant reminder and like a lot of the other posts said it can be deleted.

#9 Christine

Christine
                  • VIP Member
                  • 21,514 posts
                  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:37 PM

Sarah, (Sassygirl) actually did evites for her wedding, they also have save the dates on evite, what about doing that?
                  Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#10 saraece

saraece
                  • 289 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

We did evites STD and I loved it because we knew when peolpe viewed it, and we were able to send messages to the people who accepted. It did work for us.
                    Like our first kiss all over again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users