Paying for guests?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 MrsWtobe

• 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading past threads and what caught my eye the most was how much everyone had posted what they would be spending on their destination wedding. I'm really worried I'm missing something---are you paying for your guests to come as well? Is this how it is suppose to be? I figured we would only be spending about $5,000 on our wedding in total and am really worried that perhaps it should be higher to include some of my guests' costs.

#2 KellyandMatt08

• 490 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

I noticed this as well. We are going to be spending around $10k including a casual AHR.

We are not paying for our quests stay. And we are planning a simple wedding, not a lot of flowers or centerpieces.

#3 LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

In all honesty, I think it will be a little tough to do for just $5000 - but it depends on what you're including in that budget (travel, dress, rings, etc.). Other than my mother's, I don't plan on paying for anything for my guests, but I will pay for her travel. I plan on having a welcome dinner the night before the wedding at my cost, of course, but no other planned events, and I don't have a bridal party so I won't be paying for any of that either. I have no idea what it will all cost - I am terrible at setting budgets - but we're already well over $5000 and I haven't even thought about the details like decor, flowers, cake, etc.

Here are a couple threads that can help you determine what we're all spending on our DWs.

#4 *JillD*

• 5,112 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:02 PM

I don't think anyone is paying for their guests, I know we're not. But I think it will be tough to do for $5K, is that including everything? Or just your travel?

I guess depending on how long you are staying and what you are planning to do for a reception, you could keep the costs lower.

Tell us more about your plans and maybe we can help.

#5 Mrs.Morley

• 259 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hey girls,

From what I have learned, unless you plan on doing the dinner reservations, you must pay per guest for a private reception. The packages include dinner reservations but it is not in a private area. The after ceremony coctail hour is at a cost per guest and the reception dinner is at a cost per guest as well. Most packages only provide dinner reservations for up to a max amount of people (the highest I've seen it is about 30 guests) at one of the restaurants. I think if you are planning something where you want a dj/mariachi/trio, you have to reserve a private area and that is at an extra cost. Going into this, I myself thought that it was going to be under 5k including airfaire and the whole wedding but I have read previous posts that indicate that it is more like 10k. I hope not to misquote anything but I am pretty sure this is how things work.

#6 gkashmira

• 1,962 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

I am confused by your question to be honest. I don't think any of us (well there is one person but I can't remember who it is) are paying for guests' travel or lodging or anything like that.

How many guests were you expecting? Are you including your travel and accomodations and attire in the $5K? If you ARE including these items then I do not think it is reasonable to say the wedding will cost you $5K or less. Now if your $5K is for just the actual wedding day then it is possible but it will need to be quite small and perhaps quite simple.
              Kashmira & Dan
              Happily married since June 16, 2007
              Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
              Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#7 -Kate-

• VIP Member
              • 7,676 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:45 PM

We are paying for my parents and FI's parents' rooms for 2 nights and for the 2 members of the bridal party for 2 nights.

$5,000 for all travel, attire, rings, wedding is a bit low. How many guests are you thinking?

#8 aimee

• 1,662 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:58 PM

Me and my FI are not paying for all of our guests but we are paying for our parents and my little nephews. I truly hope you can stay within your $5k budget but unfortunately I've noticed that things add up... I'm in the process of rearranging my budget to accomodate for everything I want.

#9 Jackie

• 2,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:00 AM

We are not paying for our guests either. We will pay for my two younger sisters travel costs but thats it. Our budget is 15k, and hoping to come in under that.
                    My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review

#10 mexico15

• 250 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

Depending on how long you are planning on staying for a honeymoon as well...it will be hard to stay around or under 5K. Unless you only want basics of everything and don't have a lot of decorations. How many guests do you plan on having? If there is a small number...you may just opt to have your reception at a resturant in the AI hotel to keep costs down. It all depends on what type/kind of wedding you want to have. If you want personal dinner for you and your guests with music, you will start raising your bill quite a bit. Our honeymoon/travel alone is costing $4800 for 11 days. ($3800 for hotels & $900 for flights)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users