• VIP Member
  • 8,680 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
  • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpaisley

The ice bath stop the cooking and makes it easier to remove the shell.

I got my technique from the Joy of Cooking book
hey that's how I learned too!! Good ol' joy of cooking That ice bath totally works... and it doesn't let them get that blue coloring around the yolk you sometimes see.

#12 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:14 PM

This is a fantastic thread, I always screw them up! Now I know!

#13 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

well I can't say I did it exactly like you girls all said, but I think they turned out well. Thanks ladies.
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#14 MoonPalacePookie

MoonPalacePookie
    • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Lilpaisley
      Don't know about the sink/float...but I know a quick way to tell that they close to done. Take the egg from the water and spin it on the counter. If it spins fast like a top its likely done. A raw egg spins slow and off kilter. Seriously...try it...it's so strange!
      How cool, I think I'm going to go home and boil some eggs just so I can test this spinning thing. This is super helpful, I just boil my eggs until my patience runs out, so they're always underdone.
      Robert & Eugenia

July 23, 2008

#15 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by AnnR
        isn't there something about waiting until they sink or float? i've never made hard boiled eggs (GASP!)
        The sinking/floating test is for freshness. You can tell how old an egg is by how it lays in a tub of water, completely submerged.

If it sinks and stays on it's side it's fresh. If it floats, it is bad and you need to throw it out!

#16 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by thomastaci22
        My aunt says to boil the perfect egg you do this:

1. Boil water (very bubbly)
        2. Put your egg(s) in the boiling water and keep them there for 3 minutes.
        3. Turn off the burner and keep covered for 15 minutes.

This makes it so the shell comes off really easy and the yolk is perfectly cooked...good luck!
        hi christine, this is how i do it and i think it is the best way...i saw some food/science program where they tried different ways to boil eggs and this was the best one.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#17 FYB87

FYB87
        • 976 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by thomastaci22
          My aunt says to boil the perfect egg you do this:

1. Boil water (very bubbly)
          2. Put your egg(s) in the boiling water and keep them there for 3 minutes.
          3. Turn off the burner and keep covered for 15 minutes.

This makes it so the shell comes off really easy and the yolk is perfectly cooked...good luck!
          That's exactly how I've learned how to do it to ensure it comes out perfect! I've been doing this for a couple years now!

#18 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

Another way to tell a hard boiled egg from a raw one - when you spin it on the counter, stop it momentarily by tapping it on the top with your fingertip (like you'd try to catch a spinning coin on its edge). If it's raw, when you pull your finger away it will keep spinning (because the liquid inside keeps moving).

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#19 jajajaja

jajajaja
          • VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by becks
            Another way to tell a hard boiled egg from a raw one - when you spin it on the counter, stop it momentarily by tapping it on the top with your fingertip (like you'd try to catch a spinning coin on its edge). If it's raw, when you pull your finger away it will keep spinning (because the liquid inside keeps moving).
            haha I thought you were going somewhere smart ass by saying "if it spins off the counter and breaks, then it's raw."

Don't worry Ann. I haven't boiled eggs either. I do like them, but I guess I'm just not a cooker.
            Happily married since 2008

#20 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
            • 2,262 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

I'm not a cooker either but its the only think I do know how to cook lol

Put salt in the water, then the eggs, bring it to the boil, then simmer for about 8 mins (I like mine so the yolks explode in my gob lmao yumm), then run under the cold tap and try to peel them while trying not to burn your fingers and swear loudly lmao

The dogs hover in case i drop one lmao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users