• VIP Member
  • 21,514 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

'Sex and the City' director addresses death rumor
May 5, 2008, 4:54 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Will "Sex and the City" have a "Death in the City"? It's been a persistent rumor in cyberspace as the buzz kicks into overdrive for the film opening later this month.

If you want the rumor to remain in play, stop reading now.

But director Michael Patrick King is ready to free us from some of our worst fears. Namely, that Mr. Big, Carrie Bradshaw's longtime, on-and-off love played by Chris Noth, will somehow kick the bucket.

"Kill Mr. Big? I would have been chased around the planet by women with torches," said King, who also wrote the film and produced it along with its star, Sarah Jessica Parker.

Actually, the idea of a Mr. Big death was pitched to King early on, the director said in an interview. And it's true, he was aiming for some edge and pathos and melodrama in his script.

Just not THAT much edge, pathos or melodrama.

"I did want an emotional roller-coaster," King said. "But my ultimate target was to make our 'girlfriends' — in other words, our audience — happy. And I don't think Mr. Big dying would make them happy."

The death rumor has led to some naughty speculation. One of the naughtiest: New York Magazine suggested that Charlotte, the pretty and perky Park Avenue socialite, could be killed in a freak tennis accident.

So does anybody die? No plot spoilers here. But King, whose movie opens in late May, offered this answer.

"It's a summer movie," he said. "Why would I want to kill anyone?"

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#2 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Oprah gave the movie her seal of approval so there is no way anyone dies!

#3 1elephant

1elephant
    • VIP Member
    • 15,998 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

how did the death rumor start? i thought charlotte would die in childbirth...

#4 Christine

Christine
      • VIP Member
      • 21,514 posts
      • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jamisoncollette
      Oprah gave the movie her seal of approval so there is no way anyone dies!
      yes but she did not see the last 20 minutes, so I figured if it was going to happen it would happen at the very end.

A friend of mine saw a preview where Carrie is in her wedding dress and she answers her phone and then just drops it, so we all thought that Big died on the way to their wedding.
      Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#5 1elephant

1elephant
      • VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

i thought - tho i could be wrong - that oprah saw the whole thing and they let the audience see all except the last 20 minutes.

#6 Christine

Christine
        • VIP Member
        • 21,514 posts
        • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

no the producer came on and said he was finalizing the ending and that just like the shows finale they filmed multiple possibilities. Makes for good DVD sales because they can advertise the alternate endings.

#7 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
        • 2,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

Didn't Cynthia Nixon spilled the beans about the death in an interview? I thought this is how this whole rumor started.

#8 ButlerGirl08

ButlerGirl08
          • 382 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:07 AM

Well I sure hope not...Is anyone else besides me so amped that you are going to see it at the first showing of the day

#9 beachbride08

beachbride08
            • VIP Member
            • 2,372 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by lauren c.
              i thought - tho i could be wrong - that oprah saw the whole thing and they let the audience see all except the last 20 minutes.
              That is correct, she gave them passes to see the whole movie when it comes out.
              Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users