Photo

Input Please...Our choreographer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Christi

Christi
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

thinks that our first dance song should be cut to two minutes...the song is only 3:18...did any of you shorten your FD song...I think it's a ridiculous request...

#2 lucy106

lucy106
    • 2,880 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

WHAT?! No way! I wouldnt do it. Is the choreographer suggesting that so they do not have to make a longer routine? What song are you using if you dont mind me asking? To me the first dance in its entirety is important so I would not shorten it. Its not like it is 6 minutes long.

#3 nikkianddean

nikkianddean
      • 1,881 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

TWO MINUTES Is there any part of the choreogrpahy that can be repeated to fill that remaining 1:18? I don't think 3:18 is too long for a choreographed dance. I would be curiousto hear form previous brides who have worked with a choreogrpaher before...
        http://i264.photobuc....h/IMG_1002.jpg

Mr. & Mrs. C
        February 14, 2009

#4 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

you have a coreographer? who is this person making this suggestion? i don't know how long our first dance was, but if you want the full song - then keep it!

#5 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
          • 5,248 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

Ok its your wedding so you should do whatever you want and whatever is going to make you happy.

That being said I'm going to be honest only b/c you asked for opinions. I think 3:18 is too long. I'm not a choreographer but I used to choreograph dances for dance schools and shows. It is a lot, trust me. If you guys are excellent dancers and think you can remember three minutes worth of music, then hey go for it. But just keep in mind that its longer than you think once your actually dancing to it. Another thing your choreographer maybe thinking about is your guests. Sometimes it can seem really long for a guest to watch the couple dance for over three minutes.

But ultimately its your wedding and you guys should do whatever is going to make you happy. So if you want your full song, I say go for it!

#6 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
            • Moderators
            • 25,218 posts
            • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
            • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

our song is over 4 min! and doug wants the whole thing to play without a dj invite for other couples to join us! ahhhhhh! people might get bored and leave in that amount of time!

we had an earthquake that was just under a minute before. do you know how long that REALLY is? haha :)

#7 Nrvsbride

Nrvsbride
            • 5,248 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by DougsGirl
              our song is over 4 min! and doug wants the whole thing to play without a dj invite for other couples to join us! ahhhhhh! people might get bored and leave in that amount of time!

we had an earthquake that was just under a minute before. do you know how long that REALLY is? haha :)
              Abbie you crack me up!

#8 Christi

Christi
              • 1,905 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Nrvsbride
                Ok its your wedding so you should do whatever you want and whatever is going to make you happy.

That being said I'm going to be honest only b/c you asked for opinions. I think 3:18 is too long. I'm not a choreographer but I used to choreograph dances for dance schools and shows. It is a lot, trust me. If you guys are excellent dancers and think you can remember three minutes worth of music, then hey go for it. But just keep in mind that its longer than you think once your actually dancing to it. Another thing your choreographer maybe thinking about is your guests. Sometimes it can seem really long for a guest to watch the couple dance for over three minutes.

But ultimately its your wedding and you guys should do whatever is going to make you happy. So if you want your full song, I say go for it!
                I appreciate your honesty...you said the exact same thing the choreographer said...hmmm...I'll have to ponder this a bit more...

#9 Lorilou

Lorilou
                • 533 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

our dance instructor told us the following:
                  "we recommend the first dance last between 2.5 – 3 minutes". ours is the merging of a traditional song for 2 minutes and then salsa type song for a minute...so about 3 minutes.

#10 Christi

Christi
                  • 1,905 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by lucy106
                    WHAT?! No way! I wouldnt do it. Is the choreographer suggesting that so they do not have to make a longer routine? What song are you using if you dont mind me asking? To me the first dance in its entirety is important so I would not shorten it. Its not like it is 6 minutes long.
                    No, I don't mind at all...we are dancing to Fever by Peggy Lee...the choreographer felt the 3 minutes was too long to watch a couple dance...isn't 3 minutes the norm for most songs??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users