Photo

Gran Bahia Principe vs. Riu Ocho Rios

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 dinzers

dinzers
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

OMG!!! You gals are awesome!!! Thank you SOO much for the feedback! I think at this point, its the ROR!! We're just waiting to see if we can get better pricing
    Josh & Denise
    May 2009

#12 chicklet

chicklet
    • 718 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by dinzers
      OMG!!! You gals are awesome!!! Thank you SOO much for the feedback! I think at this point, its the ROR!! We're just waiting to see if we can get better pricing
      If your comfortable with it, try checking flights out of detroit. I am from the London area and this is what I am doing. My rates should be in next week so I can give you an idea of the savings if you would like.

#13 jamaica08

jamaica08
      • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hey Chicklet - I'm flying from Detroit too! I'm from Windsor...

What we ended up doing was negotiating directly with ROR to get group rate room upgrades and then we figured to let the guests book their flights for what they were comfortable with. It's was more work for us to do all that rather than making a TA do it but I think we saved our guests some money (or at least get more for their money). We tried group rates with the airlines but because of the economy and the industry - it was not much of a discount.

We have friends from Toronto, who are on the fence about flying from T.O or Detroit - they could probably save about $150-200 flying from Detroit but have to make the 4 hour commute to get here. 2 hours from London might be worth it...

Funny - just noticed tons of Canadians on this thread...

#14 chicklet

chicklet
        • 718 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by jamaica08
          Hey Chicklet - I'm flying from Detroit too! I'm from Windsor...

What we ended up doing was negotiating directly with ROR to get group rate room upgrades and then we figured to let the guests book their flights for what they were comfortable with. It's was more work for us to do all that rather than making a TA do it but I think we saved our guests some money (or at least get more for their money). We tried group rates with the airlines but because of the economy and the industry - it was not much of a discount.

We have friends from Toronto, who are on the fence about flying from T.O or Detroit - they could probably save about $150-200 flying from Detroit but have to make the 4 hour commute to get here. 2 hours from London might be worth it...

Funny - just noticed tons of Canadians on this thread...
          I have this as well :). There are probably 4-6 of my guests that live in the toronto area.
          My family was leary of flying from the US but if it will save us money we were gonna do it.
          You don't believe it will eh?? That sucks if it doesn't as I waited an extra month to get rates and book my stay/wedding confirmation at ROR.

#15 Linzibella

Linzibella
          • 110 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I am also getting married at the ROR and considered the Gran Bahia Principe too. The costs of the wedding has been mentioned, but a big negative for us was just the difference in cost to stay there. It was a big (>$200) difference between the Gran Bahia and the ROR.
            We're going in January so that's a popular time, so it may not be such a big difference when you're going, but that was part of what sealed the deal for us. Also, all the girls on here that have been to the ROR and had such good reviews was very comforting. There's even more brides going over the next year, so lots of help with planning, asking questions etc.

Good luck with the decision. You'll feel much better once it's been made!

#16 Marnie&Peter

Marnie&Peter
            • 302 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hey jamaica08, Im living in Windsor too!
              We decided to make the trek and fly out from Toronto in April 2009. We didnt look into prices from Detroit because we have a lot of people already in T.O and others coming from Sarnia and London.

#17 Birdie07

Birdie07
              • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

I don't know much about GBP. We picked people up from that resort when we were leaving. They were doing a little construction at the front. It was beautiful but the Riu looked bigger I think. But that was back in December (the construction). Good luck. Let us know what you pick!

#18 christenew

christenew
                • 325 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

what is the difference in flights leaving from Detroit vs Toronto?

Oh and welcome to the forum fellow possibly ROR Toronto bride.

#19 chicklet

chicklet
                  • 718 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by christenew
                    what is the difference in flights leaving from Detroit vs Toronto?

Oh and welcome to the forum fellow possibly ROR Toronto bride.
                    I can let you know (if you want) once I have rates. I am still waiting but they should be in this week or next.

#20 christenew

christenew
                    • 325 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks I would love to hear. We already booked, but when I saw what people from the US were paying I was quite happy with the price I was quoted for my Toronto departure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users