reasons why a DW can be cheaper?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jthrasher

jthrasher
  • Banned
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

Sometimes I have clients on a budget and I'd like to know some reasons why a DW could be cheaper than one at home.

Thanks

#2 mexico15

mexico15
    • 250 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jthrasherphoto.com
      Sometimes I have clients on a budget and I'd like to know some reasons why a DW could be cheaper than one at home.

Thanks

I think what use to happen was just a few of them would run off to get married away. It has now turned into a grand event with up to just as many people one would normally invite to their wedding/reception at home.

They are also much cheaper, if you use the packages provided and not add on or upgrade. The more people that come down...it seems to add up rather quickly since you have to pay for additional seats (some places) then what is provided and the dinners can be pricier then a caterer at home (some locations) It is all up to what the couple and what they are looking for. They can be really cheap.

#3 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
      • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

I thought it was going to be less expensive when I started planning it, but it's not turning out that way.

I guess the one thing IMO that could make it less expenisive is a smaller attendance by guests. Also, the choice of the destiination might be less expensive (vendors, food, drink, etc.) than a wedding at home (depending on where home is).
        My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
        Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#4 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

less guests =less $$ (YAY, no need to invite the randoms at work)
        mexico is waaayyy cheaper than SF..

$44 per person instead of $120 at home
        no $5,000 site fee!
        my wedding is in beautiful cabo...so i spent $1100 (or so) on flowers instead of $6000

also, we had a whole week together with multiple events planned:
        • welcome dinner
        • girls spa day
        • guys deep sea fishing
        • snorkel/sailing trip
        • wedding & reception
        • brunch with the newlyweds

all for $14,000..

just a reg. wedding in sf at an ok place was $30,000+ (my friends all paid $50,000-80,000)

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#5 aimee

aimee
        • 1,662 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

I agree with Jessalyn. I thought I would be saving some money but it turns out that I'm spending the same.

#6 MERRYME

MERRYME
          • 324 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

not onlyis Mexico cheaper plus you get a family vacation and everyone get's to spend time having fun toghether. Not just on the wedding & reception.
            Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
            22nd of December 2006

#7 Janet

Janet
            • VIP Member
            • 7,459 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

#1 way to cut costs at any wedding is having fewer people. DWs make that much easier than hometown weddings.

Now, once you start having as many people to your DW as you would to your hometown wedding, you really aren't saving money.

The other way to talk about it is in terms of VALUE. My sister had a wedding in our hometown for $20K. She had 150 ppl, decent food, and a 3 hour celebration.

I had a wedding in Mexico for $20K and had 50 people, 2 nights of great food and drink, daytime activities, and 3 DAYS of celebrating.

How would you rather spend $20K? :)

#8 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

I agree with what everyone already said. I was stupid in the beginning to think it would be just be a grand to get married in Cabo.. ha ha yeah right, I'm not at 14k.. BUT with that said, that price includes, dress, wedding bands, RT flight for 2, resort for a week, wedding (or course) WC, flowers, hair and make up, dinner, and other stuff. We are expecting about 10 people. Also we are including our honeymoon in our stay. So if you think about it, it's not that bad.

#9 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 24,768 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

I may be in the minority here, but the cost wasn't even something that crossed our minds when deciding to have a DW. Not that we have all the money in the world to throw around, but I am just saying that that wasn't the reason we wanted to have a DW. We just wanted to go away and get married on the beach - that just really appealed to us, and who we are. My point is that I have no idea what it would have costed to get married in the US (either Chicago or MN) becuase we never considered it!

#10 destinationbride07

destinationbride07
                  • 631 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

to be frank: the reason i think is broke cheap mofos will not spend money to fly away but those same broke cheap mofos will come to your wedding and eat all your food and bring their foil for a doggy bag....this can be expensive for a couple.....so having it away you are guranteed they wont come...at least i am :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users