Sign in to follow this  
Tobi

$500 for the stupid ceremony mic!

question for the techies out there...if i buy one of the portable ipod docking stations and it says "compatible with audio devices with standard headset input" does that mean i can plug in a microphone to this and use it as the speaker set??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi Jessell View Post
question for the techies out there...if i buy one of the portable ipod docking stations and it says "compatible with audio devices with standard headset input" does that mean i can plug in a microphone to this and use it as the speaker set??

That's a great question... eagerly awaiting responses... :)

I would caution against not using anything. I just got back from a DW on the East coast that took place in a park in a gazebo and I couldn't hear a thing. It was one of the most annoying experiences ever... now I'm all paranoid about our wedding.

i just bought a bose sound dock for the reception, and i know there's a line-in, but i don't know yet if a mic would work with it? anyone? it would be great to have some sort of mic for the toasts/speeches.

i was gonna suck it up and get the sound system just for the ceremony so you could hear us on the video that's included in our package, but if a mic will work with the sound dock i'll definitely be saving the cash!

I am bumping this to find out if anyone knows if you can plug a microphone into the bose portable docking station?! I will totally go this route instead of paying $300 to rent their speakers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi Jessell View Post
The only issue would be finding a speaker system that has an input spot and you'd have to get a mic that has the smaller adapter such as this: Samson - Dynamic Vocal Microphone - R10S
I'm not sure what the bose system has for input.

Here's an ipod dock that has an input port:
Electronica Direct - SDI Technologies iHome IH80B Black Speaker for iPod

That's like $55 with that mic and speaker, you may be able to find them cheaper if you search for that speaker and mics w/ the smaller jack.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by edssbride09 View Post
I am bumping this to find out if anyone knows if you can plug a microphone into the bose portable docking station?! I will totally go this route instead of paying $300 to rent their speakers!
I think if you have an auxiliary input on the bose system, you should be able to plug in a microphone.

No, wait! You cannot plug a microphone into a line input. The line input has more power than the microphone and the microphone requires a pre-amplifier in order to work in a line or aux input like a docking station. The only kind of input that will work with a microphone is an input labled "mic" or "microphone". This will have the pre-amplifier built in. You can find this with a "karaoke" boombox, but normally there is no pre-amp, just a line in which will not work with a microphone.