Hi!

I am in the beginning phase of planning and have thought about Playa del Carmen as the location, however I am open to other locations. I loved PDC because of the beach, cultural aspects and people. After posting on the newbie page, I really thought about what I wanted for my wedding. So here goes!

I'd like to have the wedding in Jan 2008 and there will probably be 50-60 guests including 4 children. They will be traveling from both coasts, West and East, mostly from California and NY. I'd like to give my guests the option to stay at various hotels in different price ranges and am not convinced that I'd like to get married at an all inclusive resort. I'd like to have a nice party including dinner and dancing after the beach ceremony. Guests have come a long way to celebrate with us and would feel badly if there wasnt a nice party for them to enjoy. I think I would need a wedding coordinator since I am thinking about a wedding not at an all inclusive. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good one in Playa del Carmen or anywhere else?

Thanks!!!

Hi from_nyc (sorry, I couldn't find your name!)

My fiance and I have been research-hopping around Mexico looking for a great place for our wedding - we too don't want a wedding at an all-inclusive (although that is where we and our guests will stay during the week) We have tried to search out nice locations for a private, classy wedding ceremony and reception. We are 90% decided now on the JW Marriott in Cancun. The primary reason we chose it was because of the private gazebo overlooking the ocean that is authorized to hold Catholic ceremonies (done by a bishop)... but also, they have various options for reception (garden, terrace, ballroom, beach). The greatest thing has been their amazing responsiveness to our inquiries and emails. They encourage us to customize to fit our budget - and they sound like real experts when it comes to wedding planning. They have a huge menu selection... the only thing that is very steep is the alcohol. We are actually considering bringing in our own alcohol (which they let you do) and just pay the uncorking fees. If you are interested in more information, PM me and I can send you all the documents they have forwarded to me for wedding celebrations.

Hi Salsa Bride!

I'm Alice and thanks so much for your advice! Its been a little overwhelming searching for a location but I will def look into JW Marriot in Cancun. Keep me posted on your progress!

Did you ever consider a wedding coordinator? I asked for quotes from Anjua Weddings and Weddings In Playa, both in Playa del Carmen, and it looks like their fees are $1,000 and up for basically a non resort beach wedding. Have you or anyone else ever worked with either and if they are worth it?

Thanks again for your advice and good luck!

Alice

Hi Alice - the JW Marriott provide an on-site wedding coordinator for you as part of your wedding package fees. When I was looking at having our wedding in Mazatlan, I looked into finding a local wedding coordinator and although the prices were quite reasonable (much cheaper than going thorugh the hotels), there were often problems with speaking English - difficult when your needs really need to be understood/communicated.

Just a couple of links that could be helpful to you. These are fairly good priced condo options so that if guests prefer they can stay there too. :)

Mexico Riviera Maya vacation Villa, condo, house rentals on Mayan Riviera in Puerto Aventuras, Akumal, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Solimon Bay, Jade Bay, Tankha, Cancun

playa del carmen condos rentals

Hi! We too have decided to have our wedding at JW Marriott CAncun primarily because they will allow CAtholic wedding in their gazebo. I agree, the wedding coordinator is great! She is very professional yet not very strict. They allow outside wedding coordinators, you can hire your own DJ, decorations, flowers. And they are very professional! After speaking to the WC, I felt assured that the wedding will be ok. Some of the WC's I spoke with (at other resorts) took too long to get back to you. And what is best is I don' t have to pay a day pass if my guest is not staying at the hotel. Guests can stay wherever they please according to their budgets. I highly recommend JW Marriott Cancun.

• 2 weeks later...