can all-inclusive food actually be GOOD?

Hello fellow planners,

I am very concerned about relying on a hotel's all-inclusive food for my wedding, but as I research the hotels along the riviera maya I've found that most of the hotels out there are all-inclusives. I have to admit that I love great food, and living in Northern California I am often spoiled by good "gourmet" cuisine.

I'm not expecting amazing food at an all-inclusive but I'm guessing that El Dorado Seaside Suites food is yummy based on their claims. I am considering the El Dorado Seaside Suites because the food is advertised as "gourmet", and when I review the banquet menus I find the selections to be interesting combinations, with aspirations for inventiveness and good quality. Only problem is that recently I've been reconsidering the choice of El Dorado Seaside Suites because I'm afraid some friends won't be able to afford the $350/night they are quoting for the blocked room rate.

So, I've also been looking at H10's new Punta Coral Hotel in the Riviera Maya. But, being a new hotel there aren't many reviews out there. The reviews I have read on trip advisor has been mixed where the food is concerned.

Does anyone have any familiarity with the H10 chain, or any similar concerns with the all-inclusive resorts they are considering? I just don't want to be disappointed at the food quality on my wedding night!

Thanks for your support,

Britt

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Britt- First of all I am soooo excited to see another SF bride here. Yippeee!!!!!!smile123.gif

We are staying at an all inclusive resort, but our reception is at a restaurant in Zihua. I have never had a bad experience at an all inclusive resort, but I was thinking - are you planning to do a site visit? do they have a chef you can customize your menu with?

ps- How amazing is the wetaher today!!!

Mat's parents just recently stayed at one of the H10 resorts in RM. I'm going to see them tonight so I'll ask them about the food! (They hadn't complained about anything since they came back so I'm sure it was good, but I'll double check for you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrafaye View Post
Mat's parents just recently stayed at one of the H10 resorts in RM. I'm going to see them tonight so I'll ask them about the food! (They hadn't complained about anything since they came back so I'm sure it was good, but I'll double check for you)
That would be great, how lucky! I was also wondering if the reservation system was annoying, and particularly if they had trouble getting into the a la carte restauraunts?

Thanks so much for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkianddean View Post
Britt- First of all I am soooo excited to see another SF bride here. Yippeee!!!!!!smile123.gif

We are staying at an all inclusive resort, but our reception is at a restaurant in Zihua. I have never had a bad experience at an all inclusive resort, but I was thinking - are you planning to do a site visit? do they have a chef you can customize your menu with?

ps- How amazing is the wetaher today!!!
Yeah SF! Actually, we are over in Berkeley now - should update that info! Still have to admit it is gorgeous today -like most in the bay!

I am considering taking a site visit just because of my concerns about food and service. But, I was also considering avoiding it, so as to save those funds for the wedding itself! Going out for dinner is something I had considered, but I feel like that might get complicated, having to rent transportation and all (we are inviting 60 people). Also, the hotel I'm looking at is somewhat remote (30 minutes from cancun and playa del carmen). I wouldn't want to do dinner in the cancun scene, but I should check into restaraunts in playa del carmen. That might work out.

I'll also check into the idea of customizing the menu. Good point.

By the way, how many are going to your restauraunt reception? What about transportation.

Cheers,

Britt

From the reviews I read in searching for a destination, anything that is 4+ stars should be fine. You should also look for resorts that offer sit down service, not just buffet meals.

I'm really picky with food too. I'm a chef and so were both of my parents!

Have you tried seaching culinary vacations? Even if there is not a festival at the time you are traveling, it should be a safe bet that the host resort would have decent food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittbrowne View Post
I'll also check into the idea of customizing the menu. Good point.

By the way, how many are going to your restauraunt reception? What about transportation.

Cheers,

Britt
Hey Britt-

We are having our ceremony in Zihua on the beach and the reception is directly behind it at a restaurant called La Perla, so we will have to arrange transportation for our guests from Ixtapa to Zihuatanejo. The reason we did this is because we wanted our guests to stay in an all-inclusive resort and these were only availabale in Ixtapa. I have not solidified the details, but we will have a shuttle to take guests to and from the hotel/reception. We are expecting about 40 guests total so maybe that will work out with one of those small shuttle buses...As you can see I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best huh.gif

We were VERY pleased with the food at both our wedding and honeymoon resort.

The wedding resort rehearsal dinner was phenomenal as was the reception food. The buffets are good (in our opinions) but it's a lot of the same day after day .. which is why it is important to make reservations at the a la carte restaurants to order nicer meals off the menus.

The a la cartes we ate at at both resorts were exceptionally good. No one got sick and everyone enjoyed all their meals, regardless of whether it was the buffett or a la cartes.