Great White Kills Man in San Diego ~ Eeek!!

MarieSam

I really love the ocean, and I cherish living so close to it, but I really just love looking at it. Swimming in it is really not for me. I'm pretty freaked out everytime I"m in there. The first time I snorkeled in Hawaii, I was scared of the coral! I heard about this yesterday, and I couldn't believe it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During my first ocean dive in Catalina Island I saw a shark. It was long and moved so fast. It freaked me out, but didn't even notice me. I perfer to be underwater with a mask and air tank than on top of the water just wading. Unless of course the water is crystal clear and I can see what is below me...but out here in Cali we don't have that type of water.

Okay that is scary! The first time I snorkled was at Catalina and the fish were sucking my legs....it was not cool. The 2nd time was in Hawaii and they threw feed off the boat and suddenly fish came at me from all directions, that was not cool. The 3rd time was in Mexico and I opted to kayak while DH snorkeled...a massive sea turtle swam by me - that was cool but it made me realize for the first time that a shark could pass me too....haven't been snorkeling since. Kayaking I'll do though wink.gif

I am such a chicken shit that I haven't ever snorkeled or gone in the water except when I have vacationed in Cancun - cause it is so clear.

Growing up on the east cost (NY/NJ) I am not used to fabulous waters and here in Florida either - freaked me out when I was going to take a dip one day in FL and I procrastinated about it and there was a shark attack! Havent been back since! EEK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
omg. this is why i am afraid to swim in the ocean! haha. i once got nibbled by a smallish nurse shark at laguna beach as a kid and have been afraid of ocean swimming ever since.

(btw, glad to see another journalist on here!)
Maura I don't know if I would ever go in the water again. I think as a child Jaws was the most terrifying movie I ever saw. I even got anxious in pools. I would still go, but afer I dove off the high dive i would high tail it outta that water....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
omg it was like a 2.5 ft baby nurse shark and you know those really dont have big teeth or anything so it was like gumming my ankles, but i totally flipped out screaming bloody murder. it was in about 3 ft of water. i didnt go back in the ocean for years after. morgan, unlike you i love the photos of whales and fish, but i am so terrified to go snorkeling but everyone tells me i have to do it. i am really afraid of fish bumping me. especially because i am allergic to fish, and i dont know if them touching me underwater would produce the same results as if i touched them above water (which is rash and sometimes hives, labored breathing etc). i cant go near fish being made as food, even fish gut juice or anything makes me really sick with a rash. i guess i should really talk to my doc about that before going!

marie -- i work for a very well-known business trade mag based in NY but i work in the chicago bureau. i can PM you a little more info if you're interested cheesy.gif
Maura ~ my daughter is actually allergic to fish too!!! Same symptoms you experience but she's perfectly fine when it comes to snorkeling or being in the water with fish. We're not quite gonna test the swimming with dolphins that's too much contact, which I know is popular in the Riviera Maya, but she's been good with snorkeling. It's strange because she can eat shellfish (crabs, shrimp, lobster, etc.) but with fish it's like she even gets hives when the aroma's in the air, which sucks cause we're Filipino and eat fish practically twice a week. smile35.gif She's always yellin at me for not eating fish when I was pregnant, lol, I was more a pizza everyday girl hahaha.

And, yes please PM me, I love to pick the brain of fellow journalists!! I just got started in the business (printwise) ~ but have done doing some tv reporting before that. Would love to hear more details about the mag. you work for =)