13 replies to this topic

#1 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

I need some help here.

FI is totally against religion, so we (me) have to write our own ceremony and get it over to the minister ASAP so we can be sure he will do this for us.

I've been reading so many vows, etc. That I can barely see my computer screen from crying so much!

Please read this and tell me, honestly, what you think. I like all of the individual parts, but I don't know if it really "flows".

The parts in blue are from the standard ceremony at Couples. I couldn't think of any other way to say it. It should only be about a 10-12 minute ceremony.

I can also post it if you want. It's just long!

The first page is the traditional Christian ceremony order. We are only doing the things highlighted in yellow.

TIA! FI isn't being much help!

Attached Files

#2 lucy106

lucy106
    • 2,880 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

I think that is just perfect!! I am sorry you have been going through so much to make it perfect. But you have done well to make it what you and your FI want it to be! I love the vows! The ceremony reads very well!

#3 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
      • 2,262 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

Its really great - i think mine will be 30 secs i've been told in no uncertain terms - no mention of parents, no mention of god and i'm certainly not obeying lol

Fancy doing mine lmao

#4 cantwaittobemrs

cantwaittobemrs
        • 148 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

I think it flows really well. Great job!! And thank you for posting since I have not figured ours out yet, this is very helpful!!

#5 jajajaja

jajajaja
          • VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

What's wrong with it? I think it's beautiful. I'd help, but I'm not sure what you don't like.

Here's a copy of our ceremony. Maybe there's parts that you would like.

Attached Files

Happily married since 2008

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

I think it looks good. Rachel, I also really like yours. Thanks for posting these. I need to start working on our ceremony. We also do not want to have it religious. I'm sure these places are used to a non-religious ceremony & can accomidate it.

How does it work? Does the person doing the ceremony contact you some time before to find out what you want said? My date-buddy is working on her's so it makes me feel like I should be working on mine :)

#7 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 9,504 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Quote:
                What's wrong with it? I think it's beautiful. I'd help, but I'm not sure what you don't like.
                I just wanted to make sure it made sense. SInce I copied & pasted, re-worded etc. so many things from so many places I didn't know if it worked all together.

Quote:
                How does it work? Does the person doing the ceremony contact you some time before to find out what you want said? My date-buddy is working on her's so it makes me feel like I should be working on mine :)
                I asked the WC to please send me over their vows and explained our situation. Mike would probably have made us change reorts if we couldn't get a non-denominational ceremony. Some of the ND ceremonies I've seen are still very religious, they just don't say Jesus. The standard vows were VERY traditional "Dearly beloved we are gathered today before God and these witnesses" "Let that which God hath joined together", etc. He just wasn't feelin it.

I just want to get this over to him early so if there is a problem we can try and come up with a solution.

#8 jajajaja

jajajaja
                • VIP Member
                • 9,794 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Morgan
                  My minister emailed me like 4 days before we left. This is his ceremony and I think he does a fabulous job. Everyone remarked how beautiful it is. I never listen to this part of weddings because its all to me. I listened this time. lol
                  Happily married since 2008

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
                    My minister emailed me like 4 days before we left. This is his ceremony and I think he does a fabulous job. Everyone remarked how beautiful it is. I never listen to this part of weddings because its all to me. I listened this time. lol
                    Is he the same guy that did Ann's wedding? I always tune out wedding ceremonies, but I bawled watching hers. He really was great (if that's the same guy). I think it touched me because it seemed so real. So often I think ceremonies get kind of bland & don't really touch on what a marriage is really about. The hand ceremony gets me everytime. I hope I'm not all snotty from the crying. Maybe I should make a recording of it I can listen to on my ipod to desensitize myself :)

#10 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 9,504 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Quote:
                      The hand ceremony gets me everytime. I hope I'm not all snotty from the crying. Maybe I should make a recording of it I can listen to on my ipod to desensitize myself :)
                      I've been reading that damn thing for a week and I still cry like a baby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users