My Grandma's Funeral is tomorrow...is it okay if I don't talk??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandma. No, you totally don't have to speak. It's a personal decision that you're entitled to make.

At my grandpa's funeral I spoke because nobody in the whole family was able to speak and that made me mad so I got up and told funny stories about him...lol Maybe another relative will speak, and if not, just tell the officiant to skip over the "would anyone like to share..." part and nobody will notice. Good luck :)

#12 Spazz

• VIP Member
    • 10,482 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

You definitely don't need to talk. At my grandmom's funeral last year I was asked to do a reading and agreed to it because I didn't want to say no. When the time came for me to get up, I just couldn't do it. Luckily, a family friend took over and did it for me. Everyone deals with their emotions and grief differently. If you don't want to talk, don't do it. I don't regret it and I don't think you will either.

#13 NYJen

• 1,326 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hey Michelle, how did everything go today? Are you ok?

#14 LadyP

• 3,156 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

If you do not feel like talking it is ok. Dont let anyone make you feel that you should

I am sorry for your loss.

#15 Saraha

• 2,597 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

Michelle, I was thinking about you today, I hope you and your family are doing ok.

#16 michelle08

• VIP Member
            • 2,702 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:33 AM

Thanks gals! The day went good actually. I had a little pre-funeral anxiety but all is good.

The service was small but very nice. I can't believe how much the funeral home does...it seriously is like a wedding planner but a funeral planner. There wasn't one detail they missed and they make it so that the family doesn't have to worry about a thing!!

I decided that i still couldn't talk and it was fine. 3 people ended up talking which was nice.

The hardest part was the slide show and having to hug and cry with family that I haven't seen in years!!!

overall, it was a very nice day and I know my grandother would have loved it! :)

Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

#17 jajajaja

• VIP Member
              • 9,794 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

I'm glad it went well Michelle. My heart goes out to you. I'm sure your grandma will always be with you! :)
                Happily married since 2008

#18 Saraha

• 2,597 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:03 AM

Im so happy to hear that things went "relatively" good. Im sure your grandma would have been so happy/proud of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users