Photo

DIY Swarovski crystal projects...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 caroline

caroline
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

So I've ordered my crystals from Tami's place and am really excited to give the cake-topper project a go. I have yet to order the monogram though and have a couple of questions. I see that most ordered "acrylic mirror" lettering... Is this the best material for the crystals to adhere to? Anyone recommend a place to buy them at a reasonable price? The site someone recommended had them at about $25! Is that average?

Also, I would love to use the left-over crystals for another project. I was thinking of jewel encrusted napkin rings... but can't for the life of me find "napkin ring" materials, other than wire! Will the crystals adhere to materials other than the mirrored acrylic? Say, wood or plastic?

#2 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:57 PM

The crystals will adhere to anything, depending on the type of glue you use.

I bought my letter from e-bay for $12 I think. They shipped super fast! I think I had in 2 days!4.5" Mirror Monogram Letter "B" for Wedding Cake Topper - eBay (item 280139902930 end time Mar-13-08 07:46:25 PDT)

Here is my thread and finished product. I still haven't decided what to do with my leftover sparklies.http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t17538
      It is much prettier in person. I did primarily the clear crystals and mized some blue sporadically throughout.

#3 caroline

caroline
      • 697 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks JB. I do recall seeing your cake-topper and it turned out beautifully. I have a bid in on a "letter" (!) and also picked up a lot of napkin rings for relatively cheap. They're a mixture of plastic, wood, lucite and ceramic - so I'll give them all a go and let you know how I get on! Can't wait to start the project! If they turn out the way I am picturing them, they will be really cool!

#4 S2BLennon

S2BLennon
        • 668 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

I LOVE Swarovski crystals! So Much fun... I may have to join you in making a top also!

#5 Celina

Celina
          • Banned
          • 2,811 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

Keep us informed on how they turn out! What kind of glue are you using? I have to bling up my monogram and don't know what kind of glue to use. Our mono is brushed steel.
            "Love is not who you live with...it's who you can't live without"

#6 caroline

caroline
            • 697 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

I'm going to use whatever came from Tami (E6000 or something?) and see how that goes... I had to order more crystals as the ones I got (16ss & 12ss) are TINY!! Not nearly enough to do what I want to do...

This little DIY endeavour is going to prove to be really expensive. I've got to be at about $75 already... =( and I managed to get the monogram cheap!
              Still, I'll be able to say I made it myself...

eta: SoontobeMrsE - Someone else mentioned "glitter glue" which acts as a good filler for the smaller areas. I may think about adding some of that (in orange!)

#7 tchuchuca

tchuchuca
              • 361 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

You guys rock! I am so going to bling out my topper! Thanks for the idea!

#8 CruisingKeyWest09

CruisingKeyWest09
                • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

How many crystals on average did everyone order? I am looking into getting a 3" R - and I am guessing that the best size would be an SS20?
                  Thanks for your help in advance.

#9 Yari

Yari
                  • VIP Member
                  • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

Very cool!

#10 Jamminworld

Jamminworld
                    • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:26 AM

This is on my to-do list too. What colors are you using? I think I will be using rose, light rose, fushia, and clear. I'm not sure what sizes I will need though. I want to do the three initials but I will start with the last intial first just incase this project is way more than what I barginned for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users