Import Fees?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:58 AM

A co-worker told me that if I bring my wedding favors / gifts for bridal party with me to Mexico that I have to declare them and pay taxes according to their value.

My FI thinks she's mad that she isn't invited and trying to rain on our parade, LOL !

Anyone know anything about this?

#2 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
    • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

From my understanding you are supposed to declare all of this stuff, and pay taxes on the value (I think it is if it exceeds $250). It sounds like most brides have gotten around it though. Natasha (I think) paid the guys at the airport $50 to get her boxes through customs. Tammy (host) pushed her stuff through with her husband (he pushed a green light at airport/customs clearance),so wasn't searched.
      My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
      Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

yes, i had my parents with me and we were going to push the button one at a time...whoever pushed green had to grab the suitcases with all the stuff and go through...that way if hubby pushed green he would just grab a suit case with his close, then we had 3-4 more chances.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 MERRYME

MERRYME
      • 324 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

Tecnically you are allowed $50-$150 dls (depends on where you are traveling from and where in Mexico you are going to) franchise per person in a family unit. (ie:Mom & dad plus kids). For this franchise you must be a foreigner not Mexican. Each family UNIT is supposed to press the button. It is NOT a per person deal. That is why they will give the head of the family unit the decleration form and it asks how many peple they are traveling with and what they are bringing.

Then again: It is Mexico and my HUBBY says sometimes it is easier to DO things and THEN ask for forgiveness later IF you get caught. This from an EXPERIENCED mexican Lawyer :P
        Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
        22nd of December 2006

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

merryme is probably right, but cabo airport was kind of a mess...and people were all over the place, confused...the airport security would just waive you through...they did not ask to see any paperwork at that point...they did when we first entered the customs area, but not later at the button part...

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#6 -Kate-

-Kate-
        • VIP Member
        • 7,676 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

That's a good reason to get married after the wedding...you aren't a family unit yet so you can declare stuff individually and pass bgs through that way.

#7 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
          • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by LALA
            That's a good reason to get married after the wedding...you aren't a family unit yet so you can declare stuff individually and pass bgs through that way.
            Great point! Or, if you are getting legally married in Mexico, you are not a family unit when you arrive...
            My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
            Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#8 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:31 AM

Thank you all, very useful info !!!

#9 zoegirlTX

zoegirlTX
              • 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

We had tons of huge tubs with lots of stuff for OOT bags and decorations. DH got stopped by the customs guys and had to pay $100 I think it's just a luck of the draw thing...
                Amanda & Humberto ~~
                ~Puerto Vallarta, MX~~

#10 leigh miller

leigh miller
                • 936 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by host
                  yes, i had my parents with me and we were going to push the button one at a time...whoever pushed green had to grab the suitcases with all the stuff and go through...

haha! thats what we photographers do too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users