ceiba del mar hotel and spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbride2009 View Post
Well... the fact is I never signed a contract with Euforia. We were still hashing out the details when I decided to call off the wedding. We had given them one deposit.

When I canceled Hector told me that he could only give me 400 dollars back of the 1500 I gave as a deposit. When I pointed out that he didn't have a signed contract yet, hadn't purchased a single bloom, and the rental items were things he had in-house already, his response to me was that he had already given Andrea her commission. Well, he didn't know that ever since my site visit Andrea and I had become friends. She let me know that she hadn't gotten a penny of my money and recommended that I file a grievance with Mexico's version of the BBB. I did.

Really, all I wanted was an explanation of how he could justify keeping all of my money. That's it. If it was justified I would have chalked it up to lesson learned. I won't go into some of the things Andrea told me about how his company has treated other brides because that's unsubstantiated. But let me tell you, I got off easier than some.

Hector also threatened me with his "family of lawyers" and to this day I haven't received a dime from him and he won't respond to any of my emails and he has not shown up to three of the court hearings claiming that he hasn't gotten notification of them.

A bunch of bullcrap if you ask me. His attitude was extremely unprofessional. I realized that I would be out of pocket some money but to this extent seems like bad business to me.

I'm now paying my parents back $7000 for a wedding I didn't get to have. They are furious with how Ceiba treated them. It got down to name calling in the end. But it's over now. We can all move on.

All I've ever said on this site is for brides to read their contracts closely and ask questions (even unpleasant ones like "What if?") That way they can gain insight on who they're working with and what their policies are. And I've told my story honestly and openly. It's insult to injury during such a sad time in my life to have to deal with unsavory business people as well.

I wish you much luck with everything.
Sorry to hear about your experience with them. I actually did visit there in December (they were one of 12) and I was not impressed with their proffesionalism. I'm sad to hear you had to deal with troubles with everything else going on. This is one of the scary things about doing business in other countries. I hope that things get settled on your end.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry444 View Post
I just got back from a site visit to several different locations in Riviera Maya, Ceiba del mar was one of our favorites and very high in the running for our wedding for next year. The resort itself is not only beautiful with every room having a view to the ocean but I like how the rooms had a mexican feel to them. I guess why we really liked it was because it was not surrounded by some of the other huge hotels and we felt like the wedding would seem so much more private. I'm sorry i was horrible about taking pictures.

kerry444 - my fiance and I are doing a site visit at Ceiba - and a few others - in about a week. Any tips/suggestions? I have my list going of what I want to see/ask, but just wondering if there is anything you wish you had checked out/looked into while there, but didn't?

Thanks!

The one thing we wished we had done before we scheduled our site visits was looking into the exact locations of the hotels and their proximity to Playa del Carmen. We realized that for friends and family making a vacation of the trips some of the hotels were a $40 taxi to the city so if people wanted to leave the resort and experience more night life it was very expensive.

Also the beaches further north that are closer to the airport were not nearly as nice. We stayed at the Azul Sensatori as our base and there was only about 20 feet between the resort and the actual water and it was rocky, covered with seaweed and not good to swim in at all. Personally I would have been dissappointed about getting married on the beach right around there. The beaches closer to playa were absolutely beautiful with tons of white sand and the water was multiple shades of blue.

We only went down there for five days and wished we would have had a little more time. We are trying to decide between Ceiba del Mar and getting married on a residential beach with the reception at a beach club. We would have liked to have had time to go back to both places and done some sort of food tasting.

I hope that helps you out a little.

Hello! Quick question for Ceiba brides~ Are you using Travel Agents for group rates or booking directly with the hotel? I really just want to make sure I have the best rates for our guests and was curious what you have all done.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy.clements View Post
Hello! Quick question for Ceiba brides~ Are you using Travel Agents for group rates or booking directly with the hotel? I really just want to make sure I have the best rates for our guests and was curious what you have all done.

Thanks!
Tracy - I did use a local travel agent, just to deal with the negotiations for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy.clements View Post

Thanks!
We dealt directly w/ the hotel b/c our guests are coming from all over the country. I didnt want to deal w/ the headache of having people look for other deals on their own - this way they just worry about airfare and if they dont like the price, they can stay elsewhere and I don't have to worry about meeting quotas or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...