Why is airfare to Cancun so outrageous? Could a TA help?

Hi!

I know gas prices are incredible right now, but I just can't believe the airfare hike for trips to Cancun! Has anyone found any reasonable fares?

We are going down there with our parents in June (which is the high season, I know) and my parents had to pay $700/ticket from HOUSTON! eek.gif That's less than a 2 hour flight and we're used to paying around $200!

We're getting married in the low season (November), so I'm hoping rates will go down, but right now they are ~$500. The good news is we have a large Northeast contingent and they can get tickets for around $200. But the Texas folks are screwed!

I tried to get a group rate through Continental and they said we could only do that if everyone was flying on the same flight. We have people coming from all over the place, so that won't work.

Could a TA help with this? Even if everyone is flying from different parts of the country and probably on different days? We're expecting about 120 people, but with these rates we'll probably be lucky to get 10!

Is anyone having the same issue? huh.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having that same problem. I've had 3 TA's quote it and everything is just super high. One of my TA's actually told me to book through Orbitz because she couldn't beat the rate. It's really frustrating because a lot of people that we thought would come can't afford it now. I think that the key is to give everyone as much info as quick as possible because rates have continued to go up the closer that we get to our date. Good luck :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh miller View Post
and right now im paying more for tickets to cabo than to cancun! im trying to figure that one out. smile27.gif
I've noticed that too in the past when pricing vacations, you can always fly to PV for cheaper than Cabo and often to Cancun for less as well. And Cabo is 2 hours from us, go figure! Maybe they have a smaller airport with more restricted flights? Just guessing, but it's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opice34 View Post
Hi!

I know gas prices are incredible right now, but I just can't believe the airfare hike for trips to Cancun! Has anyone found any reasonable fares?

We are going down there with our parents in June (which is the high season, I know) and my parents had to pay $700/ticket from HOUSTON! eek.gif That's less than a 2 hour flight and we're used to paying around $200!

We're getting married in the low season (November), so I'm hoping rates will go down, but right now they are ~$500. The good news is we have a large Northeast contingent and they can get tickets for around $200. But the Texas folks are screwed!

I tried to get a group rate through Continental and they said we could only do that if everyone was flying on the same flight. We have people coming from all over the place, so that won't work.

Could a TA help with this? Even if everyone is flying from different parts of the country and probably on different days? We're expecting about 120 people, but with these rates we'll probably be lucky to get 10!

Is anyone having the same issue? huh.gif
I've been looking at booking a trip to VA, and I can't believe how much the airfare is for that. It is crazy! We booked our Mexico trip before the airlines started going crazy with prices and I am so glad that we did. We are working with a TA and tried to get a group rate, but we would have had to have 20 people all flying on the same dates to get it, but we had to pay a $100 pp deposit and write up a contract for it. We couldn't get that many people to agree on traveling the same dates and the discount really wouldn't have been that much.

Yeah, I'm glad we already got our tickets but it was weird...one of my friends called today that said our TA called to tell her that due to gas prices being so high that the price of their trip was going up and it was $40 higher and if they didn't pay in full by May 2nd it may go up again. I'm not sure if this had something to do with they booked the charter flight?? Because we have a NWA flight and she didn't contact us and we haven't paid for our trip in full yet. So she is all stressing out because she planned on making payments and not having to charge anything to her credit card.....aargh!

You might try places like worryfreevacations.com, funjet.com, cheapcaribbean.com. Also check into the smaller airlines like USA3000 and Ryan Air. Frontier flies there, but they may be on the verge of bankruptcy. You also might check sites like airfarewatchdog.com, kayak.com, mobissimo.com, and travelation.com. One more thing to keep in mind, many of the airlines now limit checked bags to 1, after that there is a charge of around $25.