Hyperpigmentation Anyone?

I have hyperpigmentation from my BC. A nice big triangle of extra darkened skin on my forehead. Hyperpigmentation is when a patch of skin tans more than the rest of the skin. Does anyone else have this and what are you doing to keep it from getting darker?

My dermatologist gave me some bleaching cream to help it go away but it doesn't really work and makes the non-tan areas get whiter. I always wear a SPF 50 in that spot but it still gets dark no matter what I do. Any suggestions?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2BLennon View Post
What if you only put the "bleach" on the darker spot- and not all over?

Or put self tanner everywhere but that spot? Use a gradual self tanner that is a lotion so you can keep applying daily until it has blended in.
I put the bleach only in the spots, but if any little bit gets onto the normal skin that is real close by it turns the area white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh miller View Post
i have this too from being out in the sun shooting weddings. what did your dr prescribe? i have lustra-AF. it helps some. as does microderm and glycolic facials. i think im going to go ahead and do something like laser soon.
My Dr says its from BC, but I think it is probably from being outside a lot too, since I work for the Forest Service. I have been doing microderm and it definitely improves for maybe the first week, but then comes back just as dark. I've never done the glycolic facials before. What are they? My Dr Rx Clearer Cream Hydroquinone + DMAE

Did yours just appear almost overnight? Mine did and I honestly thought I had something wrong with me so I went a saw a derm. and he said that it was this. I thought it was weird because I have had the same job for the last 3 years and have been more careless in the past than now, but didn't have it then.

I have it too! I am (was) a total sun worshiper. i have olive skin so i never really burned. And then a couple years ago I started getting dark spots. on my upper lip (nice, I look like i have a mustache!) my nose, aroudn my nose and on my forehead!! Its AWFUL. My dermo gave me a lightener. I found it didnt really work. It would lighten the skin around it so then it looked even worse- more of a contrast with my spots! The spots are too little to just get the cream on the spots.

Now I use 45 on my face all the time. But I still get them. I HATE IT and I'm stuck. Thanks for the post!

Mel - did you recently change BC pills? Maybe that was why it popped up all of a sudden?

I hate BC Pills!!!! The side effects are ridiculous!!!

I have sun damage too, and I just tried a glycolic facial for the first time last week. It worked well, but it hasn't been long enough for me to see if it will last...

Ugh! I too am a hyperpigmentation sufferer. It was so weird...about 5 or 6 years ago I went to Jamaica for the 2nd time. When I checked my face at landing, everything was fine. By the time I got to my hotel, I looked in the mirror & was like WTF? It looked like I had been sunburned weeks before & was in the peeling process from far away. It was like the heat brought it out. So weird. Ever since then I've battle with it.

My dermo said it is def from BC & as long as I was on BC it would never fully go away. I have been off BC for a little over a year & it has definitely improved. I use an Rx cream called Tri-Luma. It has both hydroquinone & RetinA in it. If I am religious about using it, it really makes a difference. You are supposed to use if for like 6 or 8 weeks, then stop for 6 or 8 weeks. I'm never that consistent with it.

OMG - my friend who works with me just came back from her "photo facial" yesterday administered by her dermatologist. (We share the same derm and she is getting married in Sept). Well she had hyperpigmentation and he recommended this facial that erases sun damage. He spread gel over her face and put eye goggles on her and then went over her entire face with a laser. Today her face is very swollen and all her freckles are very dark. I had a similar procedure done to erase a few small sun spots on my cheeks last year, but not my whole face. she said she was red as a tomato last nite and had to apply ice packs!!! She said it hurt sooooo bad.

Has anyone ele heard of a "photo-facial?" - Jenny is an aesthetician....maybe she has some insight...Jenny?? are you out therehuh.gif

heyyyyy I'm here :) hehe

Yea, hyper and hypo pigmentations are really annoying pains in the butts. My two suggestions have already been said - 1. Microdermabrasion and 2. Laser Facials (Photo Facial). Micro will help, but if the hyperpigmentation keeps coming back, then you need something stronger such as the laser facial. I'm not a fan of putting a bleach on your skin.. in my opinion, I wouldn't want it to cause anymore damage. You can even check out a plastic surgeon that does this type of skin treatments.

Quote:
Re: Hyperpigmentation Anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heyyyyy I'm here :) hehe

Yea, hyper and hypo pigmentations are really annoying pains in the butts. My two suggestions have already been said - 1. Microdermabrasion and 2. Laser Facials (Photo Facial). Micro will help, but if the hyperpigmentation keeps coming back, then you need something stronger such as the laser facial. I'm not a fan of putting a bleach on your skin.. in my opinion, I wouldn't want it to cause anymore damage. You can even check out a plastic surgeon that does this type of skin treatments.

I knew you'd have an answer! prayer1.gif