Eeek! Thinking of changing resort and date!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 RyanAmanda

• 235 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

Ladies, we really need some help. Our wedding is set for the Grand Palladium on November 18th. Recently though there's been some really bad reviews on tripadvisor. I know, it's tripadvisor, there's always going to be bad reviews. It's just there's a LOT of them lately. And the hotel dropped from a 4 star to a 3 star! Plus, I read a wedding review on another site and the bride had a bunch of problems at the Palladium. So now I have no idea what to do. We choose the GP in February and now I can't remember why we choose it over the others.

So...today I started looking again and I'm thinking the Gran Bahia Principe. Plus, if we fly out October 25th instead of November 16th, we save $366 pp. So $700 per couple! A lot of our friends are younger and don't have tons of money so this would make a huge difference.

I just don't know what to do. Help!!!

#2 NYJen

• 1,326 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:46 PM

Have you done a site review of both places? Did you send STD's yet?

#3 RyanAmanda

• 235 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

Nope, no site reviews. We're in Vancouver, Canada so it's too expensive for us to go for site visits (plus not being able to get the time off work). We haven't done STD's either. We have a wedding website but if we changed the resort/date, I'm sure people would understand.

It's just what if I change and wish I hadn't? Or don't change and wish I had. Errr!

#4 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

Chance you take but if you heart's not in it maybe change it

#5 becks

• VIP Member
          • 4,881 posts
          • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
          • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
          • LocationNew York

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

First, ignore the reviews on tripadvisor - they are consumer written meaning that anyone who wants to complain has a forum to do so. If you want a more reliable review, (a) look for someone here who has recently been married there or (B) check someplace like www.frommers.com; conde nast, or another large organization that isn't there just to lambaste your hotel just because their room service took 3 minutes longer to arrive than they were promised.

Now, if the price differential is really what's driving your decision, then maybe it is something to consider.

There's nothing wrong with moving your hotel, especially if you haven't sent out your STDs, and no one has booked.

I wish I could give you insight into either resort, but I haven't been to either. Good luck!!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 Christine

• VIP Member
          • 21,514 posts
          • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
          • Wedding Location:Napa, California
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

has anyone booked yet?
          I agree with the other girls, don't look at tripadvisor.

if you decide to change, let us know how we can help you out.
          Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#7 Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 5,752 posts
          • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

trisha just did an amazing review of gran bahia principe i think... you could talk to her about that resort since she just got back literally days ago.

#8 MissyR

• 1,210 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

I visited both in November when we were down for a wedding at Grand Sirenis. Both were beautiful - GP was definitely much larger with trams going being the different hotels.

In terms of wedding options - We preferred the BP for a couple of reasons. First, I assume you mean BP Tulum. They have a beautiful square gazebo that is relatively secluded and I decent rain option. We loved that the gazebo was off to the side of the resort. Conversely, the gazebo at the GP, while gorgeous - was quite close to the beach restaurant/little marketplace which we didn't like.

In all honesty, the BPT was our second choice if the Paradisus didn't work out. The WC was awesome and she seemed really interested in working with us to achieve what we wanted for our day.

I hope this helps - any questions let me know!

#9 brit11898

• 18 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

I am in the same boat- I was already for May 23rd, 2009 at the Barcelo but after reading so many reviews and a friend of mine got married there I am totally rethinking it now- I have been looking at the Riu Yucatan-which has gotten much better reviews from others... Very mind comsuming thing... but I feel yyou

#10 Martha

• VIP Member
              • 3,906 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

GBP is where I am getting married and several other women...there is a long thread here somewhere.....go read it! :)

I looooooove GBP!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users