Adults Only Reception

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morenaindc

• 221 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Has anyone out there done this at a DW?
    What are your gut reactions to this concept?
    If I do this, should I provide a babysitter for kids who came on the trip?
    Do folks tend to bring their kids to DW's anyway?

Please share your thoughts....

#2 beyondsmitten

• Banned
    • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

I wrestled with this idea and in the end chose to have an adult only reception.

Almost everyone invited with kids havechildren under the age of 10. I have no children but my fiancee has a son. While the son is a part of the ceremony, he is also not invited to the reception.

I planned to arrange for a sitter (my fiancee is Jamaican and has friends who can sit during the reception) a DVD and pizza and puzzle for the boys.

I took a poll of my friends with kids and most did not plan to travel with them. At that time I thought about having a "children's reception" but in the end decided that I would not bother.

I don't know if most parents would leave their kids with a sitter they did not know in a foreign country.

I have since learned that more of my guests will be making a family vacation out of the wedding. All of them know the children are welcome at the ceremony but are not invited to attend the reception. They can choose to use a sitter we arrange for my nephew and stepson or not.

I love my nephew and sat through a wedding reception with him. He had fun, I did not. Of course this would be in a different capacity but we did not want a "family friendly" reception full of kids so we are not having one. I have not thought for one minute that I should change my mind.

#3 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

I wish I could have got away with a no kids rule!! but FI's best man has 3 kids! so we've had to pick a hotel that is kid friendly and its annoying me - we don't have kids but seem to be accommodating other peoples. Even my MOH is leaving hers at home lol

I think if people don't like it they'll say but at the end of the day its your wedding so stuff them lol

#4 becks

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

As long as there are options for babysitters (and most hotels are willing to arrange them), then I think it's fine, especially if its important to you.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users