I thought I would share a few of my pictures from Saona Island:

Click the image to open in full size.

#13 newfiebride

newfiebride
      • 196 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

So what do you do when you go to Saona Island Just sit around in the sun, look for starfish, etc?? Or is there stuff going on there??

#14 lucy106

lucy106
        • 2,880 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

On actual Saona Island there were no starfish. That adventure is either on the way to or on the way back they stop at a sand bar that is about waist deep. On Saona Island you swim, relax, walk the beach, drink coconut oil if you want. It is definitely a way to force you to relax on your trip.

#15 lscilley

lscilley
          • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

My FI and I went to Saona Island last year when we were there and we felt very mislead also. The bus ride was way longer than they told us then we had a crazy bumpy ride on the speedboat to the sandbar and we were not there very long and only saw 1 starfish. Once we got to the island the food not so great. The Catamaran ride back was the best part but by that time I was not feeling to well so spent it trying not to get sick and then had the long bus ride back I spend the rest of my night sick in my hotel room. It was fun at some points but just be careful who you book through and what you are getting. We booked through Turismo Tours I think it was. But I have to say I'm glad we did it I loved the island! I attached some pics for you all to see.
            **Sorry pics are so big tried to make them smaller and it just wouldn't work*
            Boat ride there
            Sandbar
            Starfish
            Approaching the Island
            The Lunch Area
            The Beach

#16 dragonfly

dragonfly
            • 1,820 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

We were going to do this with our guests but most of our guests didn't want to spend that much money and be gone from the resort all day.

If you are looking for an alternative excursion we did the atv excursion. We went atving on off roads and the beach, so much fun, we then went to these underwater caves to swim, very cool, we stopped for shopping, no one shopped not convenient on a atv, then we ended the trip with horseback riding. The trip was a half a day which was perfect. Every person young and old went on this excursion. We worked out a deal for 45 dollars a person with a guy on the beach (he was in front of the beach market) Everyone LOVED it, I would do this again for a large group.Make sure if you do this you wear something you don't care about, I never got the t-shirts clean again, lol.

Saona Island looks beautiful and I think it would be a perfect romantic excursion, I wish Everton and I had done this trip on our own.

#17 evtalbot

evtalbot
              • 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! Dragonfly, I think the ATV excursion sounds like a great trip too! How far are the underground caves from the resort? I dont think my guests would appreciate the long trek out to Saona island only to find 1 starfish!

#18 Carrie-Dreams DR

Carrie-Dreams DR
                • 49 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

We did the Saona Island trip last week..It was a long day...We left the resort at 7:40am, and came back at 6:00pm. The bus ride to get to the speed boat was just over an hour, then the speed boat over to the Catamaran. The Catamaran ride was about another hour. Once we got to Saona Island, we were actually kind of bored. The vendors there are really annoying and pushy, you are constantly telling them no. We did see a lot of fish by the reefs, we were feeding them bread..it was actually the hi-light of Saona Island. When we left there we took the speedboat to the natural swimming pool, where we found and held 3 starfish...there are not a lot of them, stayed there 20 minutes or so, then took the speedboat back to the bus. On the way back to the resort, the bus stops at some shops, so you can purchase some souvenirs and there is a mini-mart in there. ( We were more then happy to buy Pringles, we were starving, the lunch served on Saona was not that good. All in all, I would rate it 6 out of 10. Wouldn't do it again.

#19 Copita

Copita
                  • 979 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Lucy & LScilley, thanks for sharing your pictures! :)

#20 S2BLennon

S2BLennon
                    • 668 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Def looks Beautiful. maybe a nice thing to do on the honeymoon after all the guests leave!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users