Jump to content

Photo

The ferret thread formerly known as "Bringing food into cabo" lol


  • Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#221 PenMarie

PenMarie
  • Newbie
  • 133 posts

    Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErinB
    Well Morgan, teh average life span of a ferret is 8-10 years. Some even live to 18! We have lots to cover!
    I only wish that were true -- unfortunately, 6 to 8 is probably more the norm, and many die before that from the various diseases that these little guys get. Case in point, I lost my first ferret this past October at 5 1/2 to lymphoma (he'd just been in for a checkup 1 1/2 weeks before his diagnosis and was perfectly fine...within 3 days of his diagnosis we had to help him along as he was getting ready to bleed out) -- and one of my 3 year olds was just diagnosed with lymphoma two weeks ago after surgery for what we were hoping was a benign mass on his spleen.

    Although my breeder just had one of her little girls pass at 9 -- she's been breeding for over 22 years, and that's the oldest she's ever had....show me an 18 year old ferret, and I'll do the ferret happy dance and so will all of my ferret friends.

    #222 ErinB

    ErinB

      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 9,504 posts

      Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by PenMarie
      I only wish that were true -- unfortunately, 6 to 8 is probably more the norm, and many die before that from the various diseases that these little guys get. Case in point, I lost my first ferret this past October at 5 1/2 to lymphoma (he'd just been in for a checkup 1 1/2 weeks before his diagnosis and was perfectly fine...within 3 days of his diagnosis we had to help him along as he was getting ready to bleed out) -- and one of my 3 year olds was just diagnosed with lymphoma two weeks ago after surgery for what we were hoping was a benign mass on his spleen.

      Although my breeder just had one of her little girls pass at 9 -- she's been breeding for over 22 years, and that's the oldest she's ever had....show me an 18 year old ferret, and I'll do the ferret happy dance and so will all of my ferret friends.
      That's so sad about your ferrets! The internet lied to me! It said 8-10!

      #223 PenMarie

      PenMarie
      • Newbie
      • 133 posts

        Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

        Don't get me wrong, Erin -- I've "heard" of some living to 10, but they're very very few and far between. I know a lot of ferret people and we all have had a LOT of ferrets (most ferret people I know have in the double digits and more), and I've known none that have lived to 10 yet....6 to 8 years old is definitely the average.

        I'm freaking 'cause I have six 6-year olds this year and six 5-year olds...and 3 youngsters (2 to 3 years old, respectively) -- and, yet, here my 3 year old is diagnosed with lymphoma, and I'm devasted all over again -- all my ferret friends say these little guys just live to break our hearts.

        A cute ferret saying, "a dog will steal your heart...a ferret steals your soul" (and your keys...your socks, etc., etc...hehe) -- but, stealing the soul part is soooo true..they're just like little people. I always say I have 15 two year old children running around my house on a daily basis.

        Yeah...unfortunately, the internet has a lot of incorrect information (and misconceptions) about these little guys, just like other subjects, as I'm sure we've all found out.

        Thanks for listening..

        #224 Mandy

        Mandy
        • Member
        • 514 posts

          Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by PenMarie
          Don't get me wrong, Erin -- I've "heard" of some living to 10, but they're very very few and far between. I know a lot of ferret people and we all have had a LOT of ferrets (most ferret people I know have in the double digits and more), and I've known none that have lived to 10 yet....6 to 8 years old is definitely the average.

          I'm freaking 'cause I have six 6-year olds this year and six 5-year olds...and 3 youngsters (2 to 3 years old, respectively) -- and, yet, here my 3 year old is diagnosed with lymphoma, and I'm devasted all over again -- all my ferret friends say these little guys just live to break our hearts.

          A cute ferret saying, "a dog will steal your heart...a ferret steals your soul" (and your keys...your socks, etc., etc...hehe) -- but, stealing the soul part is soooo true..they're just like little people. I always say I have 15 two year old children running around my house on a daily basis.

          Yeah...unfortunately, the internet has a lot of incorrect information (and misconceptions) about these little guys, just like other subjects, as I'm sure we've all found out.

          Thanks for listening..
          You absolutely need a BDW Club Ferret avatar in your siggy.

          #225 ErinB

          ErinB

            VIP Member

          • VIP Member
          • 9,504 posts

            Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Morgan
            OK this picture is great, but I'm blank on something to write. I'll just post it & someone else can have fun with it
            Click the image to open in full size.
            The best I can come up with is that you took Nibblets shoping with you to find your new glasses and he kept sneaking treats into the basket...

            #226 PenMarie

            PenMarie
            • Newbie
            • 133 posts

              Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Mandy
              You absolutely need a BDW Club Ferret avatar in your siggy.
              hehe...I think I do, too, Mandy...I'm avatar illiterate/sig though, and have no clue how.

              #227 -Kate-

              -Kate-
              • VIP Member
              • 7,676 posts

                Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:09 AM

                1) Holy S$%T I missed you guys

                2) I wrote this song for Nibblets YouTube - Ferrets: The Pursuit of Excellence | PBS

                #228 EricaG

                EricaG
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,915 posts

                  Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

                  OMG!!!!! This is friggin hilarious. I hears about this thread and was told to check it out, but I couldn't find it. Now I suddenly see it and I sat here unable to leave the computer to go to bed. It was sooooo hard not to laugh to hard since FI and the kids are sleeping.

                  Click the image to open in full size.


                  Nibblets is making sure that the cracker jacks are hidden under the treats he is still allowed to get so they won't be taken away!
                  http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
                  My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
                  http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

                  Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

                  #229 EricaG

                  EricaG
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,915 posts

                    Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:43 AM

                    Belive it or not, I found more, but I reaaly need to get to bed, so sty tuned tomorrow!!!
                    http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
                    My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
                    http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

                    Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

                    #230 rodent

                    rodent

                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

                      Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by LALA
                      1) Holy S$%T I missed you guys

                      2) I wrote this song for Nibblets YouTube - Ferrets: The Pursuit of Excellence | PBS
                      YouTube - Ferrets on a Bed

                      Oh no, now I know about ferret videos on youtube. there goes my productivity.




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users