Sign in to follow this  
starchild

Pet Insurance

Ok when I first read this title I thought it was for a life insurance policy. lol

My parents vet offers a wellness plan which covers all routine stuff (dental cleanings, shots, exams, etc.) for like $10 a month or something totally cheap like that. I wish my vet did- I asked if they could do something similar but they don't. Maybe ask your vet if they can do a plan like that. I had a brochure at one time when I was trying to ask my vet to consider the idea.

Anyways, I didn't know there was such a thing as insurance for your pets. That's awesome! I had to pay 1K out of pocket when my dog had an emergency. Good to know.

Also, about crazy raccoons, be careful of coyotes if you have them around too. One tried to attack my puppy late in the night when she was going potty. I had to foot race it there because I let the puppy get across the yard from where I was standing. I didn't even think about coyotes lurking in the shadows- or other creatures. Most of the time they run when they see humans, but this coyote must have been hungry. This was years ago and I have since learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Rachel View Post
Also, about crazy raccoons, be careful of coyotes if you have them around too. One tried to attack my puppy late in the night when she was going potty. I had to foot race it there because I let the puppy get across the yard from where I was standing. I didn't even think about coyotes lurking in the shadows- or other creatures. Most of the time they run when they see humans, but this coyote must have been hungry. This was years ago and I have since learned.
holy crud coyotes!!!! I would've got out my shot gun if I saw a coyote trying to eat my Bubba! Darn I don't have one....but you know what I mean!

shot gun? haha you animal Leia.

This was at my parents house and they live kinda out in the middle of nowhere. They don't have a fence so the animals (like coyotes) just free roam around waiting for innocent peeing puppies.

Their neighbors had their dogs attacked by a cougar. Now that's scary!

We ad it for our cat. He was really sickly when we first got him lots of stomach problems however when you start with insurance we used pet plan they get your pet's file, they must visit the vet before you can get covered for a check up. they saw his gastrointestinal issues and they covered us with the exception of his stomach stuff which was one of the reasons for the insurance in the first place. we got it anyways just for peace of mind but we were paying $40 a month for 4 years and didnt use it so we cancelled, i figure the money we spent on ins. prior would have cost us the same if he did get sick so i will just cross my fingers he is ok. plus we have 3 cats and i felt guilty only insuring 1 because he is a purebred and the other 2 we got at an animal shelter. if you have any questions let me know!

I considered getting it for my beagle when she was little. The problem is like with people insurance is a lot of the pre-existing clauses. She had all the problems before...so it would have been a waste for me! But maybe if you have an animal that is healthy already it would be a good idea!

We have it for our dog and have had it for about three years. We pay about $400 a year for insurance (that's the premium package) and the annual deductible is $100 bucks. For us personally it's been great - the pup had some stomach/mild poisoning issues last month and the bill was $550 - basically we got our money's worth in premium's for the one visit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyR View Post
We have it for our dog and have had it for about three years. We pay about $400 a year for insurance (that's the premium package) and the annual deductible is $100 bucks. For us personally it's been great - the pup had some stomach/mild poisoning issues last month and the bill was $550 - basically we got our money's worth in premium's for the one visit..
What company do you use? I have a bunch of brochures from various carriers, but have yet to go through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle View Post
I considered getting it for my beagle when she was little. The problem is like with people insurance is a lot of the pre-existing clauses. She had all the problems before...so it would have been a waste for me! But maybe if you have an animal that is healthy already it would be a good idea!
She did have a pre-exisitng shoulder problem which caused her to limp and her surgery cost us $4500...she now has an eye infection and the meds the vet gave us aren't working, so she has to have her eye duct flushed. She will have to be sedated and we have yet to get a quote, but I'm think it will cost about $300...sigh...love her, but she's costing us $$$$$$