St Thomas Review of Visit...very long and detailed!

IslandLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by petunia View Post
Amanda,

Super report. I know the Ritz is very expensive if you want to stay there, but how were the reception prices? Are they more willing to work with you in ways the Wyndham would not? (your own planner, ceremony at a different location?) The beach at the Ritz is absolutely beautiful as well. Not too far away from the Ritz is Lindqvist beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, which you might also consider.

To be honest, I've never really liked Magen's Bay beach. Of course the crowds are a deterrant, but also, since it's a protected cove, it gets very very hot there, with almost no breezes. One good thing about Magen's is there's a place, Udder Delight, right at the head of the road leading to Magen's that has the most phenomenal ice cream shakes.

Angela's folks seem like wonderful people. What a special treat for you. You will find some of the most wonderful helpful people down there.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Reception Prices at the Ritz: Very expensive....talked to the WC there today and it is a MINIMUM of $5,000 for the outside terrace we wanted...OUCH..includes food and drinks..if you have a big party I guess this is ok, but not for us.

So we will likely have a reception in the outside of the formal dining room, but cant have a band, music, dancing, ect.

But with Angela, we get a reception at Megan's Bay so we will have music, drinks and appetizers there, then move to the reception area for dinner later

And NO they are not willing to work with me as I thought that they would...all about $$$$ again..I think it is heading this way b/c St. Thomas is so popular for weddings now.

As far as Linquest Beach, I have heard it was amazing from a few reviews..Ill talk to Angela see if they can do it there.

The good thing about where they do the wedding is here is a covered shack that they completely decorate up with white tool stuff and make it beautiful, but as you will see in my pics, looks like a big wood spot...but seeing pics of it when they are done is amazing.

Hope this helps

Manda

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Glad your site visit was great!
Morgan,
Your Duke Garden Pics are great..i have some hanging up in my appt now...just loved them...though stil HATE Duke..we still lost to Kansas.

Get this..we were on the cruise and I was in my Carolina shirt watching the game with a bunch of other fans...hee

Manda

• 2 weeks later...

It was great to hear of your overall impression of St Thomas, Islandlover! I just came back from St Thomas myself (it was soooo hard to leave) and tried to meet up with Angela. I am hoping to meet with her during my next visit. Thank you for sharing this information. I am sure to pass it along to many 'Newbies' who are looking at St Thomas for their DW.

Warmest Wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the Marriott when I did a site visit last month for 2 nights trying to find a place for my wedding and to be honest, I was not impressed. The rooms were pretty run down and not very clean to say the least. The only thing that I loved about that hotel was the Havana Blue restaurant. We decided to move forward with the Westin in St. John. They do a great job!

St Thomas is more costly than areas like Jamaica and Mexico for sure. St. John was the most expensive Ive seen, but reasonably so, it is secluded and beautiful. Not sure what to say compaired to British VI

You can still have a georgeous wedding on a decent budget there, just depends on what you want.

I TOTALLY recommend a wedding coordinator....NOT at a hotel WC, unless you want to pay BIG $$$$....I had already decided on Angela at:

St. Thomas Weddings, St. Thomas Wedding, St. Thomas Wedding Packages, St. Thomas Wedding Planner, US Virgin Islands Weddings, US Virgin Islands Wedding Packages.

But we wanted to go to hotels during our visit and we met with them as if w were going to use them, and they are all about the $$....you might as well get married in the states for the crazy prices they want....WCs will have packages for you and we just LOVE Angela.

...seems like the WCs care about YOU, and at the hotels, they charge you for everything and all I heard was.."this is the price for flowers you want, for rental service, for food, for pastor, for band"...ect....all broken down and detailed... with a WC they just make it easy

There is also other coordinators in St. Thomas, they are also great from the reviews, I think Bliss Island Weddings posts here a lot too, and Angela is on this site, so you can email them for details and look at their web pages.

If you have any other ?s just PM me or ask here.

Amanda

See I am an event planner so I know exactly how I want things to run; however being that I don't live there nor do I know any vendors down there, I am stuck trying to figure out my best option. I haven't looked into wedding coordinators yet but from what it seems like, the hotel contact I am working with has given me some great recommendations as far as music and flowers are concerned. I just don't want to have to pay double to have a wc and a hotel contact work on my wedding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkny23 View Post
See I am an event planner so I know exactly how I want things to run; however being that I don't live there nor do I know any vendors down there, I am stuck trying to figure out my best option. I haven't looked into wedding coordinators yet but from what it seems like, the hotel contact I am working with has given me some great recommendations as far as music and flowers are concerned. I just don't want to have to pay double to have a wc and a hotel contact work on my wedding...
I'm with you -- I would think if you're having your actual wedding ceremony and reception AT the Westin and the Westin has a wedding consultant, why pay for an outside consultant. If you're going to be paying them to use their facilities anyway, then I don't see how an outside wedding consultant would be necessary.

It'd be different if you were having your wedding and reception off-site from the Westin -- in that case, I'd say maybe work with a local wedding consultant.