Chichen Itza--New ??'s Post #28

Abbie - FI and I went last May when we went to check out the resort. We did Chichen-Itaz but we actually drove ourselves (it was about 2 hrs from the resort in puerto morelos) and hired a private tour guide when we got there. We felt it was the best decision (I kind of hate large group tours). If you do decide to go on your own make sure to go EARLY - like arrive by 9am since all the group tours from the hotels come in around 12 and its insane with so many people. So when we were there at 9 it was pretty empty and since we had our own tour guide we could ask him all the questions we wanted without feeling embarrassed or annoying LOL.

But like Mrs. Captain said - you cant climb the ruins. Apparently a couple years back someone fell and died so they stopped letting you climb. Hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you have more questions or want to see pics.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
BUMP

anyone else been since last year when this was posted?

the main reason we are going to riviera maya in the first place for our honeymoon is because doug has always wanted to see the mayan ruins.

we for sure plan on seeing tulum, no problem, thats easy.

but the way i see it, how on earth can we go all the way to riviera maya from seattle and NOT go to the most well known ruin in the world? BUT since its pretty much an all day trip, we want to make sure to do it right.

i have seen some tours that also stop at a cenote on the way back, and some tours that include a light and sound show?

what tour companies have you booked and or used, and would recommend or NOT??

thanks!
Abbie, we went to Chichen Itza the morning after our wedding (boy, that was rough lol). I felt like we had to see it. We used Cancun tours and surrounding area activities. to book our group trip. 14 of us went. I'm sure they could do just the two of you for transportation as well. We did hire a guide when we were there and it was the best decision ever. He knew so much of the history and the cool little details you would never have noticed. The trip included lunch and a show at a restaurant in town and then the driver took us to a cenote. We had to pay a separate entrance fee for the cenote because we added this at the last minute. It was well worth it even though we couldn't climb it. Just thinking about those things being built during the time period that they were is so amazing to me. Anyway, I'm totally babbling. :) I loved the trip and working with Cancun Vista (Martha in particular) was great.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I lived in Merida for 3 months and we toured around and did all the Myan stuff - I have to be honest and say Chichen was the best! Check you moon alingment if you go at the right time and at dusk you can see the snake climbing the stairs on the main ruin...soo amazing (well from what I hear I was unable to see it when I went). best of luck!!

I have to say that one of the reasons I picked Mexico for my wedding was because I have always wanted to see Chichen Itza and I am definitely planning on going. I know they say it's crowded, too touristy, but hey, I also hear it's amazing. This will also be my first time in Mexico. I'm looking into getting a private tour or even rent a car so that I can do what many people suggest, getting there before the crowds get there, so if anyone has any more info on private tours let me know...