Chilaquiles With Tomatillo (green) Sauce

How to Make Chilaquiles With Tomatillo Sauce

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

This dish is excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serves four to six people, depending on appetites.

Making the Tomatillo Sauce

Things You'll Need

1 can (26 oz.) tomatillos

1 jalapeño pepper - stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped

1/2 tsp. salt

1 garlic clove - peeled and coarsely chopped

1 medium onion - peeled and coarsely chopped

10 sprigs cilantro - coarsely chopped

5 tbsp. canola oil

freshly cracked black pepper (for seasoning the sauce)

2 1/2 c. chicken broth

18 corn tortillas

1 c. crema mexicana or sour cream

1 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 c. crumbled queso cotija (aged Mexican cheese) - or mild feta

STEP 1: Drain the tomatillos. Puree them with the jalapeno, salt, garlic, onion and half of the cilantro in a food processor.

STEP 2: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add a drop or two of the puree.

STEP 3: If the puree sizzles when it hits the oil, add the rest of the puree to the pan. Let the puree cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until it turns a slightly darker color.

STEP 4: Add the broth and simmer until it takes on the consistency of gravy (about 8 minutes). Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if preferred.

STEP 5: Keep warm while assembling the chilaquiles.

Tips & Warnings

Frying the puree is a little tricky and messy, so pay close attention to the temperature of the oil. When you test it with a couple of drops of the puree, make sure it doesn't splatter too much.

Assembling the Chilaquiles

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

STEP 2: Heat the remaining oil in a small sauté pan over high heat. Stack the tortillas six high and cut them into eight wedges like a pie.

STEP 3: Using tongs, fry the tortilla wedges in the oil long enough for them to become slightly crisp and golden. The tortillas should be slightly flexible.

STEP 4: Cover the bottom of an ovenproof casserole dish with some sauce and a single layer of the tortilla wedges. Add some Monterey Jack cheese and more sauce.

STEP 5: Repeat this process until the tortillas, sauce and Monterey Jack cheese are gone. Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

STEP 6: Serve garnished with the remaining cilantro, queso cotija and crema mexicana.

Tips & Warnings

Sour cream is a perfectly good substitute for the crema mexicana, and feta cheese is fine instead of queso cotija.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANET1111 View Post
ohhh Tammy this is what we ate on the last morning of our honeymoon in Cabo. It was so yummy and I would pay a million dollars to be back there right now....
i know...i am craving them...i ate them every morning in cabo...some days red sauce, some days green...both were good but i LOVE the green sauce.

steve and i are gonna do a long weekend in cabo soon...but not soon enough for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacgarcia View Post
Isn't it the same recipe for the chilaquiles in green sauce? the green sauce is made of green tomatoes..
it is the same recipe but i wasn't sure if anyone had their own recipe that was better..or their mom's recipe...i am making it tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacgarcia View Post
I'm really bad at cooking but here I found another..

Astray Recipes: Chilaquiles en salsa verde

I wouldn't use the jalapeño on your recipe.. and I don't like cilantro so I wound't use it either hehehe nor onion.. yuck I hate it ...
I always take out stuff I don't like from recipes hahahaha I don't care if some flavor is lost..
this sounds like this yummy chicken enchilada casserole i make...i am so hungry!

Tammy: Wow sounds like you are getting major cravings:)

You can also get the green sauce "salsa verde" in cans or you can make a bunch and freeze in smaller baggs.

My last morning in Baja we had a different type of chilaquiles.

The tortillas were pan fried with a little oil then they added eggs and made a scramble in same pan untill eggs are cooked - finally they added the sauce.

Placed very hot on a plate with cheese & the cream.. VERY, VERY YUMMY!!!