TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

How to Make Chilaquiles With Tomatillo Sauce

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

This dish is excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serves four to six people, depending on appetites.

Making the Tomatillo Sauce
Things You'll Need
1 can (26 oz.) tomatillos
1 jalape±o pepper - stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1 garlic clove - peeled and coarsely chopped
1 medium onion - peeled and coarsely chopped
10 sprigs cilantro - coarsely chopped
5 tbsp. canola oil
freshly cracked black pepper (for seasoning the sauce)
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
18 corn tortillas
1 c. crema mexicana or sour cream
1 lb. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 c. crumbled queso cotija (aged Mexican cheese) - or mild feta

STEP 1: Drain the tomatillos. Puree them with the jalapeno, salt, garlic, onion and half of the cilantro in a food processor.

STEP 2: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add a drop or two of the puree.

STEP 3: If the puree sizzles when it hits the oil, add the rest of the puree to the pan. Let the puree cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until it turns a slightly darker color.

STEP 4: Add the broth and simmer until it takes on the consistency of gravy (about 8 minutes). Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if preferred.

STEP 5: Keep warm while assembling the chilaquiles.

Tips & Warnings
Frying the puree is a little tricky and messy, so pay close attention to the temperature of the oil. When you test it with a couple of drops of the puree, make sure it doesn't splatter too much.

Assembling the Chilaquiles

STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

STEP 2: Heat the remaining oil in a small saut© pan over high heat. Stack the tortillas six high and cut them into eight wedges like a pie.

STEP 3: Using tongs, fry the tortilla wedges in the oil long enough for them to become slightly crisp and golden. The tortillas should be slightly flexible.

STEP 4: Cover the bottom of an ovenproof casserole dish with some sauce and a single layer of the tortilla wedges. Add some Monterey Jack cheese and more sauce.

STEP 5: Repeat this process until the tortillas, sauce and Monterey Jack cheese are gone. Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

STEP 6: Serve garnished with the remaining cilantro, queso cotija and crema mexicana.

Tips & Warnings
Sour cream is a perfectly good substitute for the crema mexicana, and feta cheese is fine instead of queso cotija.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#2 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

if you have a chilaquiles in green sauce recipe, please post in this thread.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 Janet

Janet
  • VIP Member
  • 7,459 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

ohhh Tammy this is what we ate on the last morning of our honeymoon in Cabo. It was so yummy and I would pay a million dollars to be back there right now....

#4 anaderoux

anaderoux
    • 3,220 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by host
      if you have a chilaquiles in green sauce recipe, please post in this thread.
      Isn't it the same recipe for the chilaquiles in green sauce? the green sauce is made of green tomatoes..

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by JANET1111
      ohhh Tammy this is what we ate on the last morning of our honeymoon in Cabo. It was so yummy and I would pay a million dollars to be back there right now....
      i know...i am craving them...i ate them every morning in cabo...some days red sauce, some days green...both were good but i LOVE the green sauce.

steve and i are gonna do a long weekend in cabo soon...but not soon enough for me!

Quote:
      Originally Posted by anacgarcia
      Isn't it the same recipe for the chilaquiles in green sauce? the green sauce is made of green tomatoes..
      it is the same recipe but i wasn't sure if anyone had their own recipe that was better..or their mom's recipe...i am making it tomorrow!

Awards and recognition: 

#6 anaderoux

anaderoux
      • 3,220 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'm really bad at cooking but here I found another..

Astray Recipes: Chilaquiles en salsa verde

I wouldn't use the jalape±o on your recipe.. and I don't like cilantro so I wound't use it either hehehe nor onion.. yuck I hate it ...
        I always take out stuff I don't like from recipes hahahaha I don't care if some flavor is lost..

#7 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by anacgarcia
        I'm really bad at cooking but here I found another..

Astray Recipes: Chilaquiles en salsa verde

I wouldn't use the jalape±o on your recipe.. and I don't like cilantro so I wound't use it either hehehe nor onion.. yuck I hate it ...
        I always take out stuff I don't like from recipes hahahaha I don't care if some flavor is lost..
        this sounds like this yummy chicken enchilada casserole i make...i am so hungry!

Awards and recognition: 

#8 MERRYME

MERRYME
        • 324 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Tammy: Wow sounds like you are getting major cravings:)

You can also get the green sauce "salsa verde" in cans or you can make a bunch and freeze in smaller baggs.

My last morning in Baja we had a different type of chilaquiles.

The tortillas were pan fried with a little oil then they added eggs and made a scramble in same pan untill eggs are cooked - finally they added the sauce.

Placed very hot on a plate with cheese & the cream.. VERY, VERY YUMMY!!!
          Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
          22nd of December 2006

#9 anaderoux

anaderoux
          • 3,220 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

I'm hungry!!!! let me see if I have the ingredients to make some..

#10 MERRYME

MERRYME
            • 324 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

I'm hungry too!! Have to make a grocery run!!
              Alegria Inn - Todos Santos
              22nd of December 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users