Boycott El Dorado Royale & Karisma Resorts-UPDATE policy REVISED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Dragomire View Post
Well the local photographer should get better then. Im spending about $8000. in workshops and seminars in the next 12 months to be a better photographer... If the local photographers kicked a$$ then brides wouldn't be bringing photographers with them.
no, that's not what I meant at all. The choice is only that one local hotel photographer. You even have to pay the fee to bring in a local photographer. So it's limiting brides to just that one guy. There are some awesome photographers in riviera maya, but EDR brides can't even hire them without paying a fee. So they can try to get around it by flying someone in. I just don't understand why a hotel would want to hurt local business like that.

I'm all for a free market & letting people hire based on price & quality.

I'm glad Tammy posted this. Like someone else said, if the EDR were a mediocre resort, she would not even care.. the same with me.

There is a particular AI resort in Cabo that is known for having odd outside vendor policies, granted they are not as ridiculous as the EDR's, but I make it a point not to recommend it. Why? Because I want my clients to have their pick of vendors that will fit their budget, fit their style and vision of the wedding and fit their personalities.. It is simply too restrictive. So maybe I am not even close to calling for a boycott of this hotel but believe me, I will NEVER recommend it to any of my clients.

The One and Only Palmilla, Esperanza and Ventanas al Paraiso here in Cabo (all very high end resorts) will most certainly allow outside vendors without a question! why? Because they want to keep their couples happy and because they appreciate their business, after all, the couples will spend THOUSANDS of dollars to have their wedding at their location.. it's in their best interest to keep them happy.

What amazes me is that the hotel thinks they can instate new policies on a whim and expect clients to take it sitting down.

I fully support Tammy's decision to post this thread as a sticky, if it were a regular thread, it will be buried in 3 days and completely lost.

This thread is not a personal attack, we all agree that EDR is awesome but their new policy is unfair and ridiculous. I am sorry if any of my comments below come off as harsh but this thread is about 1 issue - EDR and Karisma changing their policies. Watching it get out of hand and become personal is bugging me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryzeless View Post
I think this is a little harsh and hurtful. I am getting married at the EDR. Yes, I do not agree with the policy change but I am not looking to change resorts, only change the policy. To put a sticky boycotting the place I am getting married at is hurtful to me. I understand that you are trying to help future brides in their slection but purhaps you can choose a different title. It is a beautiful resort and many brides have had no problems with it.
Pryzeless, this is not a 'personal' attack on you or you choosing EDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post

From what I've read on this forum, EDR isn't the only resort to have a policy for outside photographers, though EDR definitely seems to have the most extreme policy. There are many brides on this forum that are getting married at EDR this year, and are really really excited about it!!

Nobody said they shouldn't be - EDR is beautiful.

I agree that this sticky is a little harsh. Maybe it could be retitled/regrouped- and just have all the resorts that have outside vendor policie and what those policies are. That way brides can be informed about the resorts and their policies and make their own decisions from there.

Many EDR brides are upset and have requested this, if you don't agree that the policy should be changed or they should be boycotted, then don't support this thread by posting to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
I understand what Tammy is trying to accomplish -but as a bride who is very much looking forward to her EDR wedding in a month-- it is a little shocking to see sticker titled "boycott EDR" on this forum.

I do not agree with Karisma's new policy- they are taking business out of their own country by making it difficult to hire local photographers- and hurting their own business, with a very extreme policy. There are too many wonderful resorts in the area that do not have this policy that a bride would probably choose over a Karisma resort, bc of this policy.

With that being said-- I do NOT regret choosing EDR as my place to get married and am very excited about the resort, and our wedding! With this policy aside, I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with planning my wedding at EDR. I've gotten quick responses from Valeria, and they have been very accommodating to me, on my requests.

again, nobody is questioning your decision to choose EDR or Valeria

This policy would be the only reason, so far (my wedding is still to come!) that I would consider not recommending EDR to other brides.

This is the point, the policy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
If someone knew the policy & still booked their wedding there today, we wouldn't treat them any differently as a BDW member. We all get attached to our hotels & it's hard to hear someone talk bad about it. But, for EDR it's just about the policy which I think everyone agrees is not cool. If the policy goes away then we can have even more beautiful EDR pictures to look at. I couldn't get over how amazing the place is with the individual pools.

ABSOLUTELY! :)

I would like to see some similar action taken for ROR. I don't feel like their policy is fair to their brides or their in house photographer. Maybe an organized email petition? We do have to fight back against the nickle & diming or it will just get worse as destination weddings keep getting more popular. Nothing wrong with hotels profiting, but it upsets me how they are hurting local photographers with the rules. I'd rather see them just charge $500 more for the wedding fee or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisoncollette View Post
Sometimes boycotts are the only thing that will get the attention of a business. Also having the thread as a sticky ensures that it will not get buried and future brides will have quick access to it. One of the reason's FI and I chose a non-resort was because we wanted control over our vendors from food to photography. I am very committed to living as green as possible. I also insist on buying local and my best friend is a celiac. As Heidi found, many resorts cannot cater to special needs diets. So the ability to bring in my own chef capable of serving seven vegetarians, a vegan, and one celiac was very important. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, my vendors preferences were for a slightly different reason than most though I am bringing my own photographer also.
very well said!

Quote:
I think we have noticed on the forum that everyone defends their place. I get upset if someone talks smack about Mexico, Riviera Maya, all-inclusives, Texas, my hometown, my favorite restaurant, etc. I don't mean to, but I can't help feeling a loyalty to places that mean something to me.

So I'm sure it's hard for the EDR brides to see something like this. But, hopefully they understand where it's coming from & it will only make things better for future EDR brides.

Thanks Tammy for taking action. You have a lot of power being the owner of this ever growing forum. I know you will use it well :)
I would understand the defensiveness of the EDR brides if Tammy actually was saying something negative or "talking smack" about EDR - but she's not! She's actually saying how great of a resort it is, just that their policies aren't fair and are actually hurting the resort. Even the EDR brides that have a problem with this thread agree with that! So I guess I"m confused by those that have a problem with this thread, and I wonder what they'd suggest instead. Ya know?

Quote:
no, that's not what I meant at all. The choice is only that one local hotel photographer. You even have to pay the fee to bring in a local photographer. So it's limiting brides to just that one guy. There are some awesome photographers in riviera maya, but EDR brides can't even hire them without paying a fee. So they can try to get around it by flying someone in. I just don't understand why a hotel would want to hurt local business like that.

I'm all for a free market & letting people hire based on price & quality.
gottcha Morgan,, I misunderstood you. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
I would understand the defensiveness of the EDR brides if Tammy actually was saying something negative or "talking smack" about EDR - but she's not! She's actually saying how great of a resort it is, just that their policies aren't fair and are actually hurting the resort. Even the EDR brides that have a problem with this thread agree with that! So I guess I"m confused by those that have a problem with this thread, and I wonder what they'd suggest instead. Ya know?
oh yeah, I agree. it's definitly not talking smack about EDR. I just understand how sometimes it's hard to hear anything negative about a place you are fond of. Even if they agree with the content, it's just hard to see it sometimes. Probably not making sense here. I don't think anything should be changed though. I even suggested a sticky thread about EDR last week. I'm really glad to see Tammy did this. But, I understand how the EDR girls might have a little trouble with it. I hope they can see it's what needs to be done though. We all love our wedding locations & want to recommend them to anyone looking for a great place to get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Dragomire View Post
gottcha Morgan,, I misunderstood you. =)
glad you know what I was saying now. I feel people should get to hire to best photographer for them whether they are local are flying in. The fee & restrictions make that harder. Even if people can find some ways around it, there is still a problem. I like a competitive market. It drives us to do our best. Like you said, you spend a bunch on training each year. What EDR is doing will lead to the hotel hiring a photographer who is willing to work for the least. There is no incentive for that photographer to improve their skills since they have a monopoly. The hotel is the one making the money while shutting out talented photographers. So I think that is bad for brides & bad for photographers.

Quote:
glad you know what I was saying now. I feel people should get to hire to best photographer for them whether they are local are flying in. The fee & restrictions make that harder. Even if people can find some ways around it, there is still a problem. I like a competitive market. It drives us to do our best. Like you said, you spend a bunch on training each year. What EDR is doing will lead to the hotel hiring a photographer who is willing to work for the least. There is no incentive for that photographer to improve their skills since they have a monopoly. The hotel is the one making the money while shutting out talented photographers. So I think that is bad for brides & bad for photographers.
well put Morgan rockon.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelsel View Post
Jennifer,
I know what your TA was told regarding the $500 and the "optional" 3 nights stay, but that is NOT what they are emailing the brides. Here is what we received:
the last time i booked a wedding a few months ago, it was just that the outside vendor had to be a guest (they stayed 2 nights) or pay the fee that is why i think it is ridiculous that they are insisting on a 3 night stay AND a fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
I'm confused too, I don't know why the word boycott and the fact it is a sticky would make me feel hurt.. Tammy is doing this for the sake of future brides, not to talk bad about EDR..
I don't see how a boycott could hurt present brides..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Melody,

what other resorts do you know of that have this policy?
i know that this thread is for edr and karisma resorts, but i believe - according to what i've read on here lately - that dreams cancun is not letting future brides use external vendors. i dont have evidence or proof - just what i read here:
Dreams Cancun...no external suppliers!?!