Mommies to be check in

Christine

I can't believe all 5 of you are so close! So exciting!!!

Martha, I can't wait to see pictures of the nursery!

I have my next ultrasound on Wednesday (my birthday!). This is the one where we can find out what we're having, but we're not going to (Mike's all pissy about it, but I really want to wait and be surprised). I'm just so excited to see the baby again, I can't wait!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lizz, seeing your baby will be a great birthday present! :)

Lisa, have you been having Braxton Hicks? I think I read somewhere that contractions feel like really bad cramps...I hope that is not happening to you. Are you still having them?

Mo, my OB is the only doctor in his office, but my friend that just had a baby did the rotation thing and actually found a doctor she liked better w/in the office and is going to switch to her. ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
Lisa, have you been having Braxton Hicks? I think I read somewhere that contractions feel like really bad cramps...I hope that is not happening to you. Are you still having them?
In my child birth class she says BH & contractions feels like someone wrapping their arms around your stomach and squeezing, then if you are having back contractions, it feels like someone reaching around your from the front and squeezing your back. I have been having those every once in a while but that wasn't it yesterday. I'm pretty sure I just need to go #2 wink.gif I swear if I'm not taking MiraLax every single day, I do not go. It sucks! And I didn't take it this weekend....so I'm sure that's it.

How are you feeling, Lisa? Anymore stomach issues?

I had an OB appt and I am SO frustrated with my doctor. I am totally changing doctors after Noah is born. He has been my OB/GYN since I was 16. He is the one that diagnosed my PCOS (after I took him some stuff I found on the internet) and he is the one that removed the tumor from my ovary and half of that ovary...He has always taken his time with me and took time to talk to me and stuff..However, since I got pregnant, I feel like just a number and he doesn't take time to sit with me and ask if I have any questions. He is also my mom's OB/GYN and she says that she has noticed he is real rushed when she goes to see him also....

This is how my appt went yesterday...The nurse does weight check (still only up 22 pounds, no weight gain since my last appt 2 weeks ago), did urine sample, blood pressure. Went into examination room. She asked if I have had any contractions, if the baby is still moving a lot, etc...Asks if I have any problems or issues....I tell her that I still have a lot of vaginal pain and discharge and that for the past week I have had a sweet taste in my mouth that wont go away and that I can never quench my thirst. Super thirsty all the time! She says I still have sugar in my urine, so she will talk to him about it. She writes everything down and has me get undressed for the exam then leaves. After a few minutes of waiting, my doctor & nurse come in. Says that he doesn't know what the sweet taste in my mouth is, but it's probably just because I am pregnant. Ummm. oKay, nice answer.

He ignores the fact that my last 3 or 4 visits have shown sugar in my urine. He doesn't ask me any questions about my discharge nor my pain. He does the exam, which is super painful...He is a big man with big hands and fingers. blah! Anyhow, baby is still way up high and cervix is not softening yet.

He pulls me up and tells me he will see me in a week. He is a jokester, so I wasn't real surprised when he said, have sex 3x a day to soften up the cervix. I started laughing and said "ya right!" He said "why not? This is what got you in this situation to begin with." I said "ya, but not 3x a day!" He said "oh, well just lay there!" I totally knew he was joking and wasn't offended at all. He was saying all this as he was walking out the door. He never asked if I had any questions or anything.

UMMMM HELLO! I had questions to ask....like the sugar in my urine, if the baby is head down, can we tell about how big he is, my vaginal pain..ughhh!

He was wearing his hospital scrubs, so I don't know if he had a busy morning at the hospital or what, but this is how all my appts with him have been since March! WTF? You are getting PAID to essentially take care of me. Make sure I fell okay before you just run out.

I told Jay and he was upset about the sex comment because he doesn't think the way it was said was appropriate. He was also mad because he is concerned about the sugar in the urine...

I came home and Googled to see if I could figure this out on my own. It seems that because I passed the GTT, I am probably okay. Sometimes there will be sugar in the urine because of the kidney filtration. It's not too uncommon with preg women. This is reassuring. I had my dad check my blood sugar this morning and it was 80. So, I guess all is well there, but still!!!!

UGH. OMG, sorry that was so long! smile105.gif

Quote:
How are you feeling, Lisa? Anymore stomach issues?

I had an OB appt and I am SO frustrated with my doctor. I am totally changing doctors after Noah is born. He has been my OB/GYN since I was 16. He is the one that diagnosed my PCOS (after I took him some stuff I found on the internet) and he is the one that removed the tumor from my ovary and half of that ovary...He has always taken his time with me and took time to talk to me and stuff..However, since I got pregnant, I feel like just a number and he doesn't take time to sit with me and ask if I have any questions. He is also my mom's OB/GYN and she says that she has noticed he is real rushed when she goes to see him also....

This is how my appt went yesterday...The nurse does weight check (still only up 22 pounds, no weight gain since my last appt 2 weeks ago), did urine sample, blood pressure. Went into examination room. She asked if I have had any contractions, if the baby is still moving a lot, etc...Asks if I have any problems or issues....I tell her that I still have a lot of vaginal pain and discharge and that for the past week I have had a sweet taste in my mouth that wont go away and that I can never quench my thirst. Super thirsty all the time! She says I still have sugar in my urine, so she will talk to him about it. She writes everything down and has me get undressed for the exam then leaves. After a few minutes of waiting, my doctor & nurse come in. Says that he doesn't know what the sweet taste in my mouth is, but it's probably just because I am pregnant. Ummm. oKay, nice answer.

He ignores the fact that my last 3 or 4 visits have shown sugar in my urine. He doesn't ask me any questions about my discharge nor my pain. He does the exam, which is super painful...He is a big man with big hands and fingers. blah! Anyhow, baby is still way up high and cervix is not softening yet.

He pulls me up and tells me he will see me in a week. He is a jokester, so I wasn't real surprised when he said, have sex 3x a day to soften up the cervix. I started laughing and said "ya right!" He said "why not? This is what got you in this situation to begin with." I said "ya, but not 3x a day!" He said "oh, well just lay there!" I totally knew he was joking and wasn't offended at all. He was saying all this as he was walking out the door. He never asked if I had any questions or anything.

UMMMM HELLO! I had questions to ask....like the sugar in my urine, if the baby is head down, can we tell about how big he is, my vaginal pain..ughhh!

He was wearing his hospital scrubs, so I don't know if he had a busy morning at the hospital or what, but this is how all my appts with him have been since March! WTF? You are getting PAID to essentially take care of me. Make sure I fell okay before you just run out.

I told Jay and he was upset about the sex comment because he doesn't think the way it was said was appropriate. He was also mad because he is concerned about the sugar in the urine...

I came home and Googled to see if I could figure this out on my own. It seems that because I passed the GTT, I am probably okay. Sometimes there will be sugar in the urine because of the kidney filtration. It's not too uncommon with preg women. This is reassuring. I had my dad check my blood sugar this morning and it was 80. So, I guess all is well there, but still!!!!

UGH. OMG, sorry that was so long! smile105.gif
Yikes, that sounds horrible. I'm sorry that you had a bad appointment. That is defiantly not how a good OB works. Even if he is a jokester I think they whole sex comment was a little out of line.

Have you done your GBS test yet? I am doing mine at my 35 week appointment next week. Make sure you ask him about it next week if he doesn't because it is SUPER important and should be done between 35-37 weeks. A good friend of mine just had her baby and it is now very sick, might even die because she was not tested for GBS and now the baby has GBS syndrome. It's really sad.

Anyway, he should defiantly be communicating with you a little better. Next week, you should make it clear to the nurse ahead of time that you have some questions that you would like for him to answer. Make a list a head of time, and if he tries to run out the door again with questions unanswered wait there until he answers them!

GBS? Is that the strep B test? The vagina swab?

If so, I have a problem with this because I had mine way early....like 24 weeks or something! I had it before my friend had hers and she was 9 weeks ahead of me! When I told her I had it done, she was shocked...I thought it was kinda early too because I could always develop the yeast or whatever before I deliver! Are we talking about the same thing?

If so, what should I tell him? I mean he is a doctor....how do I ask him to do it again w/o insulting himhuh.gif

Quote:

If so, I have a problem with this because I had mine way early....like 24 weeks or something! I had it before my friend had hers and she was 9 weeks ahead of me! When I told her I had it done, she was shocked...I thought it was kinda early too because I could always develop the yeast or whatever before I deliver! Are we talking about the same thing?

If so, what should I tell him? I mean he is a doctor....how do I ask him to do it again w/o insulting himhuh.gif

Yes, GBS is Group B strep. Wow, that is crazy that you had it so early. You are totally right, a test that early is absolutely unreliable. That is actually what happened to my friend, she had hers two weeks early at 33 weeks and it came back negative. Well, needless to say that was not true and she really was positive at the time of her delivery. Now, he baby is in the NICU fighting for her life and if she lives will have permanent brain damage and most likely be mentally retarded. And it all could have been avoided with some simple antibiotics. It is so sad.

If I were you I would just mention that you would like to be tested now that you are closer to delivery if he says he was not going to do it again, and tell him your concerned because you know someone who tested too early and got a negative but their baby still got sick. I would laugh it off and say something like "better safe than sorry right".

Honestly the chances are very slim of a baby getting GBS syndrome, but after it just happened to my friend, I would definitely not take any chances.

Quote:

Yes, GBS is Group B strep. Wow, that is crazy that you had it so early. You are totally right, a test that early is absolutely unreliable. That is actually what happened to my friend, she had hers two weeks early at 33 weeks and it came back negative. Well, needless to say that was not true and she really was positive at the time of her delivery. Now, her baby is in the NICU fighting for her life and if she lives will have permanent brain damage and most likely be mentally retarded. And it all could have been avoided with some simple antibiotics. It is so sad.

If I were you I would just mention that you would like to be tested again if he says he was not going to do it again, because you know someone who tested too early and got a negative but their baby still got sick. I would laugh it off and say something like "better safe than sorry right". Honestly the chances are very slim of a baby getting GBS syndrome, but after it just happened to my friend, I would definitely not take any chances.

I just checked my little card I take to my appts, where they write down all my info and they did it on 7/30, which was 2 months ago!!! I was like 27ish weeks! Ugh! I am so frustrated...I am gonna grow some canjones and just ask him to redo it. I just dont want to offend him. I mean, what if he tests everyone this early?

I just need to get brave for my baby's sake and do it, right?

So sad about your friend and her baby. I hope she makes a speedy recovery and doesn't have any negative setbacks. sad.gif