Checking in on the Texas girls

Rachelle E.

Everything is ok in Rockwall. Thanks for checking in, Rach!

The storms hit pretty good about 3:30 a.m. James and I layed in bed and listened to them thinking....maybe we should get up and see if we are going to blow away....then we went back to sleep. Other areas definitely got hit alot harder than we did.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for checking! I'm down south close to Austin and we got hit but not too bad. Power was out for a bit and heard thunder and saw some lightning. There was a tornado warning but no sirens, THANK GOD that always freaks me out! We live in a 2 story and have the perfect space under the stairs in the center of the house if a tornado ever heads our way, that's where I'll be = )

Quote:
It hit hard here about 230 this morning I was up watching the news. There were two tornados just like nine miles from here!! I was freaking out. I was home alone my FI is up in Wichita Fallas working. My poor dogs were hiding under the bed. I was up for about two hours until it died down enough I could get some sleep. There were trees down everywhere on my way to work. I am glad to hear you girls are OK I was pretty worried last night.
oh that sucks that your FI wasn't home! I HATE being alone in the really bad storms! It always scarier that way. I'm glad you're alright though!

Your poor puppies under the bed reminded me of our fiasco last night...

So the tornado sirens started going off and David and I got out of bed to get into my closet...we had decided that was our official shelter. So I'm in the closet throwing all my shoes out of the way making room for us. David runs to grab the radio and a flashlight (power was out). And then I start to get the pets...Cat - no problem, he's portable and cooperative! lol! The dog...still chillin in his bed, has ZERO interest in getting up!! So I'm freaking out a little and end up kinda yelling at him. Which freaks him out. So finally he follows me into our bathroom (my closet is in the bathroom) but when he sees me trying to take him into the closet he FREAKS and sits back on his heels refusing to move. Now I can't just grab him and take him in there 'cause he weighs 120lbs! he is NOT portable! lol! Finally David comes back (radio and no flashlight - but using his cell phone for light! lol!) and tries to help me but the dog will not budge. We finally just had to shut him in the bathroom so at least he was near us, and shut ourselves w/ the cat in the closet. I wa so nervous and the cat was having a blast! Rubbing up on us, purring, rolling on the floor so we'll rub his belly etc. Anyway, we waited until everything seemed clear (the radio DID have battries, but they were dead! go figure!) and then finally left the closet. The dog was fine just laying by the tub. But anyway, after it was all over I figured out why he was freaking out and wouldnt' come in the closet. he used to get in SO much trouble for going in there and getting into my stuff when he was little...he chewed up a pair of shoes and a sweater one time...so we just taught him that the closet was off limits. And apparently we did a good job of that 'cause he as NO intention of ever setting foot in there again!! lol! Poor guy...I felt so bad! So we're working on a more Jake-friendly tornado plan now! lol!

Still here.... our neighborhood is a complete mess tho....

Here's some photos from the area...

Click the image to open in full size.

I woke up around 3:00am and just heard 'pop', 'pop', 'pop' over and over and over. It was the 70' tall trees all around us falling.... Saw 'green' lightning from the power lines & transformers being blown to bits.... winds were clocked at like 80+mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle E. View Post
oh wow Maria...those pics are crazy!
Where that little plane is flipped over is like seriously 4 minutes from my house!! eek! I'm glad to hear you guys are ok!! I was thinking you lived up in this area...
I pulled these photos from the WFAA site. I'm leaving work about 3 hours early today so I can go out with the camera and take some photos of what hasn't been cleaned up yet.

We're over in the 75/Legacy area (right by the golf course by Legacy), and the apartment complex was completely littered with trees. I heard it was really bad by Stacy Road/75 too.... and a metals sculpture at the entrance of Craig Ranch completed wrapped around a tree (like the "arms" of the sculpture folded around the tree)... one of my co-worker's neighbor in Craig Ranch actually had the brick on sides of his house rip away, down to exposed tylock house wrapping, etc....

we're at the bottom of a hill, and it was like a mudslide when I left for work this morning from all the run-off and soil erosion..... ick....

Quote:
We're over in the 75/Legacy area (right by the golf course by Legacy), and the apartment complex was completely littered with trees. I heard it was really bad by Stacy Road/75 too.... and a metals sculpture at the entrance of Craig Ranch completed wrapped around a tree (like the "arms" of the sculpture folded around the tree)... one of my co-worker's neighbor in Craig Ranch actually had the brick on sides of his house rip away, down to exposed tylock house wrapping, etc....

we're at the bottom of a hill, and it was like a mudslide when I left for work this morning from all the run-off and soil erosion..... ick....
Omg...I hadn't heard that about the sculpture at Craig Ranch yet! Wow...that thing is big too! And that's crazy about the brick getting stripped away. David did speak to one of our neighbors this morning and said that he has some small damage to the shingles on the roof....nothing too bad though. We haven't had a chance to check ours yet. Hopefully it's all ok!

Oh, and YUCK about being at the bottom of that hill! What a PITA!