Wild Bunny advice :(

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

I swear I'm so mad at my dog.. UGH! Just a few minutes ago, he kept banging on the door to go outside so I thought he had to go pee or something. I was busy on the phone so I left him outside a little longer than usual. I look through the window and I notice him in the middle of the yard fixated on something. I had a feeling there was a bunny hole there.. so I ran outside and I was right. There was like 3-4 bunnies but one was out of the hole.. about 8 inches away from the others upside down on his back. I started to yell at my dog to get away bc I thought he killed him I noticed it's little stomach was moving up and down so I was relieved he was alive but I was scared if I left him like that, he'd die. So I pushed him back into the hole. I know thats bad right? Is the momma bunny going to disown them now? I don't want these lil guys to die Does anyone have advice on what to do?? They're so tiny but they already got hair on them so I don't think they were JUST born. I'm guessing like 2 weeks maybe? Can I nurse them to health?

#2 lucy106

• 2,880 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Call your local wildlife rehab place or your local police department should have an animal warden or animal control unit that should know what to do.

#3 Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 6,368 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Isn't it just birds that don't come back if they pick up your scent? I could totally be wrong though.

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

jenny i would call animal control or a local vet to ask what to do. poor bunny, dumb ol' dog

#5 alex

• 1,139 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

Hey there... I'm a rabbit owner so here's my advice...
          1st of all, take a deep breath. Your dog doesn't understand what's going on & quite possibly just wanted to play with the little bunn so don't be upset with him. Give him a little snuggle.
          I am pretty sure there's a good possibility that he Momma is going to disown the baby now (but we cant be sure!). Again, it's not yours or your dogs fault! I would definately recommend calling your local animal shelter & asking for advice.
          You would be able to possibly care for the baby until it was old enough to be placed into a new home, but I think it would be a very difficult task especially with a dog (& to be honest I'm not sure if he'd make it because of the young age PLUS he's most likely still nursing at this point so wouldn't be able to eat solid food.. also I hate to mention it but rabbits have very fragile backs so he could have been hurt too badly by being flipped over)
          I completely understand how upset you are right now, but I definately think your best bet is to get someone from an vet's office or animal shelter, etc to take care of things.
          That's about all I can think of. Hope I was a bit of help!

#6 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the advice girls. I'm going to call my vet and see what he says. I know my dog just wanted to play.. he didn't bite the bunny but he was curious as to what this lil rat looking thing was. I'm such an animal lover so I want to make sure they're taken care of.

#7 MelissaH

• 1,724 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

It is such a huge misconception that the mama will disown the baby if it smells something on it so please don't worry about that!!

#8 MrsV-to-be

• 554 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

I'm sorry!!
                I know what you are going through though! I once found my dog .... while lets just say beside a dead bird. I was so upset with him that I wouldn't even look at him for a week.

#9 zoeysmom1204

• 218 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

If worse comes to worse you can always syringe feed the baby bunn

#10 alex

• 1,139 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

Let us know how everything turns out! I'm really curious to see what happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users