Poll: Guests not staying at resort

Im having a little issue. I have "guests" who took their little time to book and my resort is all booked up. In my case my resort is the only resort on the island so I have to pay for guest to come over to my island. I have no clue how much its going to cost. I am so upset about this but I only have a few guest and I know they are paying thousands of dollars to come.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to second what Morgan said. What I am most looking forward to is being able to spend some quality time with the guests of our wedding... and would be extremely dissapointed if people stayed at other resorts. Although, ours isn't the cheapest AI we could have chosen... it was the one we wanted... and thus far our family and friends have understood. I never really listed resort alternatives... maybe wrong on my part... but no one has complained or asked about it. I am lucky though in the since that a portion of my dads family does yearly family vacations... so it is kind of expected. From the beginning we have talked about it as our wedding AND a group vacation. We decided not to do a group booking since we have people coming from different places... plus that way people could choose to stay how long they wanted (and how much there budget could afford).

But since we haven't booked yet... I guess who knows what will happen. I guess my willingess to pay might depend on the situation and why they chose to stay elsewhere.

I have to agree with Morgan also in the sense that I would feel hurt if someone decide to stay at a different resort to save a few bucks. Our resort is AI and was around $900, not to say that this is the cheapest by any means bc I know everyone's situation is not the same. But we want all our friends and relatives in the same resort so we can make a 5-day "vacation" out of it not just our wedding day. A couple of friends saw cheaper rates at another resort and are thinking of staying there....but after they pay for their day-passes ($90 ea. person), plus transportation, are they really saving a whole lot? Everyone's situation is different and people do like to save money whenever they can, but we just cannot be responsible to pick up that tab for every single guests who decides to stay at a different reosrt. Just me.

I posted information regarding daypass on our wedding website as well and ask guests to put into great consideration to book in the same resort so it will be easier to coordinate everything. Honestly if a few chose to stay elsewhere I'd have picked up the cost. Luckily everyone booked at our resort so I don't have to worry about it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonie View Post
I posted information regarding daypass on our wedding website as well and ask guests to put into great consideration to book in the same resort so it will be easier to coordinate everything. Honestly if a few chose to stay elsewhere I'd have picked up the cost. Luckily everyone booked at our resort so I don't have to worry about it..
Yes, it is also a coordination thing for me too. We are chartering a van to take everyone to the ruins. I don't want to start the morning off picking people up at various hotels, especially if they are out of the way. I wasn't planning on taking a phone & wouldn't know how to be in communication with people if they are not at our hotel.

If I thought about the day passes simply as not wanting to pay so I had more money to spend elsewhere I would feel differently. I do feel bad about the whole day pass thing though. I don't like that it would feel like a cover charge on our wedding so I'm just really hoping no one books elsewhere. But, when I get invited to weddings it costs me a lot to go, too. I typically have to fly, get a hotel, sometimes rent a car, and most the time buy a BM dress. So I make a point to only go to a wedding if I really do want to go. If I don't really want to spend the money on a hotel, flight etc, I have no problem RSVPing no. I've tried really hard to make my guests feel comfortable doing the same. I know its worked and only people who really want a Mexico vacation are going. grouphug.gif

I agree. Yes, we invited all these people to come but we would be fine with just Greg and I and our close family if that's all who could afford to come. We are thinking of it as a fun vacation together more than anything. We didn't give options for other resorts either. But we are having an at home reception also so people knew if they couldn't afford it they could still celebrate with us when we got back. So, I wouldn't feel bad about it. We haven't had anyone that has booked at another hotel though so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

Well here is the situation. I sent out save the dates back in September. I did let everyone know about the day pass issue. My family is originally from Jamaica but all invited guests live in the USA. Most people have waited until the last minute to book and the prices of the rooms have gone up. So I have 11 people not staying at Sandals. Pretty much they have said that they are ok with covering the day pass. I will be paying for 4 people because they are only staying for a very short time. I have 2 people I did not want to invite but I " had to " so I will not pay for them. I guess my issue is although most of my family said they will pay for the day pass I feel bad but at the same time I gave them ample notice about the resort and the day pass issue.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrak View Post
I agree. Yes, we invited all these people to come but we would be fine with just Greg and I and our close family if that's all who could afford to come. We are thinking of it as a fun vacation together more than anything. We didn't give options for other resorts either. But we are having an at home reception also so people knew if they couldn't afford it they could still celebrate with us when we got back. So, I wouldn't feel bad about it. We haven't had anyone that has booked at another hotel though so I guess I don't have to worry about it.
I agree. We are looking at this as a vacation as well since our families are spread across the country. Also, we only really want our immediate families to join us (and I know they will want to stay at the same resort) and only inviting other people due to other obligations. So, if anyone outside of the immediate family actually comes and can afford it then they can pay for the day pass. Hopefully that doesn't sound too rude!