Photo

Poll: Guests not staying at resort

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jamericangal

jamericangal
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

As we already know there is a fee for guests to enter the property on the day of the wedding. "Day Pass" as they call it. It is very expensive. I was wondering if you all have the guest pay this fee of are you all picking up the tab. I am torn on this one. What are you all doing.

Karen

#2 happygilmore

happygilmore
    • 576 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

We put on our website under our travel information that if people aren't staying at the Dreams resort to please be aware that there is an $80/day fee to come to the resort. As much as I would love to pay we just can't, plus ideally I want everyone at the same resort so we can all hang out and enjoy our vacation together.

Hope that helps!

#3 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
      • 802 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

yep, unfortuanelty......i have lots of family that lives in JA. I am paying for my family members plus 1 guest to come onto the resort to attend the wedding. other U.S. Guests that are coming but planning on not staying at the resort (I am not paying for.....i just notified them saying that it is recommended that they stay at the resort, but if they choose not to, there will be a $50 Riu entry fee.

#4 monicaswave

monicaswave
        • 450 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

I am not having my wedding through a resort so I am not in this position. We are staying at a resort and most of our guests will stay at the same place but not everyone. If I had to pay for day passes for my guests to come to my wedding I would pay for the tab but not sure what the norm is.....sorry I guess I'm not much help with this.

#5 lucy106

lucy106
          • 2,880 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Our guests who choose not to stay at our resort are aware they are responsible for the day pass fee. You cant pay for it all unfortunately.

#6 dragonfly

dragonfly
            • 1,820 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by md_ocr
              yep, unfortuanelty......i have lots of family that lives in JA. I am paying for my family members plus 1 guest to come onto the resort to attend the wedding. other U.S. Guests that are coming but planning on not staying at the resort (I am not paying for.....i just notified them saying that it is recommended that they stay at the resort, but if they choose not to, there will be a $50 Riu entry fee.
              Everton also had ton's of family living in Jamaica and we knew our dream of a small intimate wedding would be gone if we chose Jamica as our destination, it would have been like decideing to marry here we would have felt obligated to invite aunts, uncles cousins, ect or our moms would have been upset. We also understood that we would be responsible for the extra fee's associated with inviting people who were off resort.

There has been other threads on this exact issue and people are usually pretty split on their feelings. I still believe that yes you should be responsible for your guests coming on the resort, you have invited them to a wedding, not to a hotel therefore you must absorb the costs of that. We do not get invited to at home weddings and then get charged a fee for actually coming to the wedding, people would be insulted if that were to happen. I aslo don't feel we can stipulate where people must stay for our convenience. Once again you have invited them to "your wedding" not to "your vacation' therefore I say pick up the tab for your guests to actually be allowed to be at your wedding, jmho.

#7 Dez921714

Dez921714
              • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

We are picking it up. I'm afraid it's going to add up quickly though.

I put this note in the letter that went out with our save the dates

"You are not obligated to stay at the Moon Palace. If you choose to stay at a different resort, please let us know and we’ll purchase a “day pass” for you for the day of the wedding. If you do stay at a different resort but want to hang out with friends and family who are staying at the Moon Place, you’ll need to purchase a day pass (for any day besides our wedding day), so please make sure that the price difference is worth it, as you may end up paying more in the long run."

And I explain it with numbers to anyone who mentions staying at a different resort...Day pass = about $85 each...you find a hotel thats $500 cheaper...you and your wife spend 2 days at the Moon Palace (other than our wedding)...85x2 = $170 a day x2 = $340...that's not including if they have kids or transportation and having to lug you drunk tush back to your resort come 11pm (i think that's their cut off)
                http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#8 gkashmira

gkashmira
                • 1,962 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

When we were considering different resorts (some AI and some non-AI) we always assumed we would pay for anyone who was not staying at the resort for the day of the wedding. We didn't end up going with AI though so have not actually gone through this.
                  Kashmira & Dan
                  Happily married since June 16, 2007
                  http://i95.photobuck....a/IMG_0769.jpg
                  Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
                  Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

#9 adrianna28

adrianna28
                  • 178 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

A fee?? Wow, I better look into this. I am not sure if the Sheraton Los Cabos has a fee or not. Thanks for bringing it up!

#10 jajajaja

jajajaja
                    • VIP Member
                    • 9,794 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I personally would pay- only because while it's great to have everyone stay at one resort, not everyone will have the same amount of cash available. If they can't afford to stay at your resort (that's the only reason I could imagine someone staying elsewhere) then they probably can't afford the day pass either. They are invited so why not help them out?

I think the thing to remember is that while it is our weddings, people do pay a lot of money to come. It's a vacation for them too-I couldn't imagine a lot of my friends and family members wanting to blow thousands of dollars just to attend my wedding otherwise.
                      Happily married since 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users