Photo

I might have to change my ring setting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy

Mandy
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:51 AM

I have this amazingly beautiful solitaire E-ring. However, my problem is that I cannot find a wedding band to go with it. It is a Solstice brand 6-prong tiffany mounting with approx 1 1/4 diamond. The band itself is very thick, making any possible wedding band not fit next to it. In addition, the stone is set very low, so the band would have to be curved to fit next to it. I want a band that has shared-mount set small diamonds, but apparently this doesn't exist in a thick, curved band. I could have one made, but I'm getting quotes in the $1700 range (with the price of gold and the cost of designing the ring). I am way too cheap to pay that for my wedding band, so now we might be looking for an entire new setting.

Maybe I'm just being too picky. I've even thought about no wedding band, but I kind of feel like a solitaire needs a wedding band with it. Any (cheap) ideas?

#2 Dbld78

Dbld78
    • Banned
    • 665 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

Have you thought of once you get married wearing your engagement ring as a right hand ring? Then getting the wedding band you really want.....

#3 Mandy

Mandy
      • 514 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:03 AM

Yeah, but I really like my diamond and will probably stick with it on my left hand. If I compromise anywhere, it will be no wedding band, just the solitaire. Plus, the wedding band I want is really simple and not so much a stand-alone ring. Are you going to wear your e-ring on your right hand after you get married? I know one of the girls (I can't remember who, maybe a mod?) had an absolutely beautiful wedding band that she wears alone on her left hand.

#4 BarefootBride

BarefootBride
        • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

Mandy, If you have a 1.25 ct diamond dont cheap out with a cheap wedding band. 1700 isnt bad considering what FI paid for the E ring. Are you really okay changing settings? If so I say go for it but if you really like your setting now, consider getting one made or plan to wear either or.

#5 Mandy

Mandy
          • 514 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

Well, the diamond was actually a gift from his mom (from her 3rd or 4th marriage). He keeps telling me that the rest is just gold, and it will still be from him. I just don't know. And I don't think we can afford $1700 right now.

#6 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

I'm just keeping my ering. I love the simplicity of it so I don't want to add a band to it. I'll just give him back the ering after we take our pictures before the wedding. Then he will put it back on me. if I ever feel like I need a band some day, it will be an anniversary gift. But for now, I want to keep it how it is.

#7 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Did you ask the jewerly shop if they can make a custom wedding band with just gold? And what it would cost? I would assume the price you listed is with diamonds, I would bet just a plain gold band would me much cheaper.

#8 Mandy

Mandy
                • 514 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

I think I have decided to just go with my E-ring for now, like Morgan is doing. I am a little bummed, but at the same time, I do like the solitaire by itself. Besides, I have friends who always end up just wearing their solitaire alone because they like it that way. Oh well.

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 18,759 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:15 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Mandy
                    I think I have decided to just go with my E-ring for now, like Morgan is doing. I am a little bummed, but at the same time, I do like the solitaire by itself. Besides, I have friends who always end up just wearing their solitaire alone because they like it that way. Oh well.
                    I've had several friends who have two rings say they like the way it looked better when it was just the ering.

You can always add a ring later. It can be a nice anniversary gift.

#10 Mandy

Mandy
                    • 514 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Morgan
                      I've had several friends who have two rings say they like the way it looked better when it was just the ering.

You can always add a ring later. It can be a nice anniversary gift.
                      Yeah, that's what we'll probably do. And some of my friends who had their band soldered wished they hadn't so they could wear their e-ring alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users