Jump to content

Photo

Future sis-in-law driving me crazy!!


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 Ana

Ana

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 8,047 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

My FI and I decided to completely ignore anyone who says or does anything stupid. They can say and ask all they want, but they're not getting their way. Its our wedding and we're doing this our way. Furthermore, there are some family members on his side that are having some issues...so we're making them sign a contract that if they make us angry, sad or frustrated they're no longer going to be invited to the wedding.

#12 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

    Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

    Oh that stinks. Everyone has said this and I never understood it until I got engaged and started planning: "Weddings bring out the worst in people." It is so true. I'm sure her intent wasn't to be mean, ?? but I dont know her so ca't make that call. But I've learned that the best thing to do is nod and smile ;o) lol In the end you call the shots so screw everyone else.

    I even heard crap b/c I decided NOT to have a destiantion wedding!! hahah SO either way, people will add their two cents no mater what you do.

    #13 Mrs. Martin

    Mrs. Martin
    • Member
    • 514 posts

      Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Ana
      My FI and I decided to completely ignore anyone who says or does anything stupid. They can say and ask all they want, but they're not getting their way. Its our wedding and we're doing this our way. Furthermore, there are some family members on his side that are having some issues...so we're making them sign a contract that if they make us angry, sad or frustrated they're no longer going to be invited to the wedding.
      That's too funny! I wish we would have thought of that! But, if that was the case his parents wouldn't be allowed to go to the wedding!! They said horrible things to us when they found out about us not getting married in Catholic church. They went as far as comparing us to animals because apparently they live in sin. WTF? Yeah, they compared us to ANIMALS!! They're crazy! After they saw we put our foot down and did what we wanted, they haven't bothered us since. I'm just hoping this invitation issue doesn't start another war...

      #14 Ana

      Ana

        VIP Member

      • VIP Member
      • 8,047 posts
      • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
      • LocationToronto

      Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Mrs. Martin
      That's too funny! I wish we would have thought of that! But, if that was the case his parents wouldn't be allowed to go to the wedding!! They said horrible things to us when they found out about us not getting married in Catholic church. They went as far as comparing us to animals because apparently they live in sin. WTF? Yeah, they compared us to ANIMALS!! They're crazy! After they saw we put our foot down and did what we wanted, they haven't bothered us since. I'm just hoping this invitation issue doesn't start another war...
      that's terrible! actually our priest here in Vancouver acted the same way when he found out we were living together. He even went as far as to say that he doesn't marry people in his church if they're cohabitating and don't belong to his parish because its an embarassement for him! ummm yea....luckly we're getting married by a different priest in Cabo. Both my FI and I are Catholic, but I think at some point the religion has to catch up with the times and be a bit more progressive.

      #15 jajajaja

      jajajaja
      • VIP Member
      • 9,794 posts

        Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ana
        that's terrible! actually our priest here in Vancouver acted the same way when he found out we were living together. He even went as far as to say that he doesn't marry people in his church if they're cohabitating and don't belong to his parish because its an embarassement for him! ummm yea....luckly we're getting married by a different priest in Cabo. Both my FI and I are Catholic, but I think at some point the religion has to catch up with the times and be a bit more progressive.
        Or a little more openminded. That would piss me off because it's so judgemental.
        Happily married since 2008

        #16 Mrs. Martin

        Mrs. Martin
        • Member
        • 514 posts

          Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

          I completely agree with both of you. And it's sad that the church does not "update" their beliefs because extremely tradional catholics only follow what the priest's preach. My FI parents will not have it any other way if it's not what the Catholic church allows!

          My FI have not lived together (which his parents are thrilled about) but we recently put an offer on a house and it was accepted. Now that we are going through escrow, they truely believe we won't be living together until the wedding date. Excuse me, but if I'm paying a mortgage now, I'm for sure living their no matter what they say. The only reason I had not moved in with him before was because I live only a few blocks away from work compared to where he lives which would have taken me over an hour.

          #17 dido

          dido
          • Newbie
          • 7 posts

            Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

            Ooh, good luck with this one! We had some nay sayers at my wedding as well, but here's the thing - they are going to go - have the absolute time of their lives and be thanking you after it's over.

            In regards to the invite issue - tell your MIL and SIL that if they want extra invites to go out - they need to get off their butts and help put them together. Maybe that will shut them up!

            The other thing to consider is, no matter if you're doing the wedding at home or a DW, people are going to complain. Weddings seem to drum up stupid baggage and when you're dealing with someone elses family, it just doubles the trouble!
            Destination I Do Magazine
            www.destinationidomag.com
            866-359-9855

            #18 amyh

            amyh

              VIP Member

            • VIP Member
            • 3,754 posts

              Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

              I feel for you! My god mother keeps asking me if I am going to cover my shoulders during mass. How dare I get married wearing a strapless dress, in puerto vallarta, in July at 4 in the afternoon, with no air conditioning, WITHOUT wearing a shawl!

              p.s. I wonder if I am related to your FI, my last name is Martin and I have a huge traditional mexican family living in L.A. Sorry, just being nosey, lol.

              #19 Mrs. Martin

              Mrs. Martin
              • Member
              • 514 posts

                Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by amyh
                I feel for you! My god mother keeps asking me if I am going to cover my shoulders during mass. How dare I get married wearing a strapless dress, in puerto vallarta, in July at 4 in the afternoon, with no air conditioning, WITHOUT wearing a shawl!

                p.s. I wonder if I am related to your FI, my last name is Martin and I have a huge traditional mexican family living in L.A. Sorry, just being nosey, lol.
                I'm sure I'm going to get hell from the MI for not wearing a veil, so good luck with the shaw issue!!

                Oh, if you are related I would feel really bad for saying all these mean things about his family Where in LA are you from?

                #20 amyh

                amyh

                  VIP Member

                • VIP Member
                • 3,754 posts

                  Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Mrs. Martin
                  I'm sure I'm going to get hell from the MI for not wearing a veil, so good luck with the shaw issue!!

                  Oh, if you are related I would feel really bad for saying all these mean things about his family Where in LA are you from?
                  No worries, I know how crazy my fam is, lol. If we are related, then at least you have one realative on your FI's side who agrees w/ you!

                  I grew up in Santa Monica but live in Culver City.




                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users