Photo

Getting Married in Cuba

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#11 *JillD*

*JillD*
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well Congratulations on finding a location!! I just noticed when I was reading through some other threads that you were looking at costa rica & panama before, and then I remembered that you were having some problems with travel to those locations. We were going to do costa rica for our honeymoon, but decided to stay in mexico and move to a different resort, so we'd spend a little less money on air travel. I think Cuba will be a great location, definetly post pics!

#12 JulieG

JulieG
    • VIP Member
    • 8,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:27 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jilly76
      Well Congratulations on finding a location!! I just noticed when I was reading through some other threads that you were looking at costa rica & panama before, and then I remembered that you were having some problems with travel to those locations. We were going to do costa rica for our honeymoon, but decided to stay in mexico and move to a different resort, so we'd spend a little less money on air travel. I think Cuba will be a great location, definetly post pics!
      Yeah, we had a lot of problems. The only issue with Panama is the fly out days. You can only go on Monday's. I am not asking my guests to take a week and a day off work, I don't think that would be very nice of me :) So, that is why we are not going to Panama. Other than that, it looks amazing and I would totally have gone there.

I have a location now though, so I feel a lot better. Now, I just need a resort.

#13 Christine

Christine
      • VIP Member
      • 21,514 posts
      • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
      • Wedding Location:Napa, California
      • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

Jules,
      Here's the quick history lesson, basically, the previous government was very favorable to the US and I think we even had a Ford plant there. Fidel and his party (group) started a revolution because of corruption, poor living conditions, etc. and took over. when they took over they felt that the US was somewhat to blame for their situation (going back to the Spanish-American War in the late 1800's when the US helped Cuba to become independant) anyway so when Fidel took over he kicked us out, of course then we had the cuban missile crisis, bay of pigs when JFK was prez. Communism was involved with our break with cuba during the cold war and now we are not allowed to travel there, except the military going to Guantanamo Bay.
      Okay sorry to rant, but I am a history teacher.
      Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#14 weez

weez
      • 151 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

Glad to hear that you picked your resort Julie! The first step is always the hardest one!
        It is a load off your already stressed mind isn't it?!

#15 JulieG

JulieG
        • VIP Member
        • 8,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by weez
          Glad to hear that you picked your resort Julie! The first step is always the hardest one!
          It is a load off your already stressed mind isn't it?!
          Well we have not picked a resort yet. Just the location. lol When the resort is picked, I will feel a whole lot better. I do feel a little better though having the country picked at least. lol

#16 JulieG

JulieG
          • VIP Member
          • 8,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Soon to be Mrs. Hull
            Jules,
            Here's the quick history lesson, basically, the previous government was very favorable to the US and I think we even had a Ford plant there. Fidel and his party (group) started a revolution because of corruption, poor living conditions, etc. and took over. when they took over they felt that the US was somewhat to blame for their situation (going back to the Spanish-American War in the late 1800's when the US helped Cuba to become independant) anyway so when Fidel took over he kicked us out, of course then we had the cuban missile crisis, bay of pigs when JFK was prez. Communism was involved with our break with cuba during the cold war and now we are not allowed to travel there, except the military going to Guantanamo Bay.
            Okay sorry to rant, but I am a history teacher.
            Too funny. I am sure their side is different, its just like we are taught that Napoleon was a bad person, but ask anyone from France and they think he was a god. lol So, its all about who teachs you what and what country you live in.

I do not doubt what you are saying is true, but I think there is probably more to it.

thanks for the history lesson though, I like to learn new things.

#17 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

of course there is another side to it. I would love to be able to go to Cuba to find out the other side, but who knows if Fidel dies maybe the US can start working their relationship out with his brother? doubt it but for now we will live through your pictures!!!
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#18 JulieG

JulieG
            • VIP Member
            • 8,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

Quote:
              of course there is another side to it. I would love to be able to go to Cuba to find out the other side, but who knows if Fidel dies maybe the US can start working their relationship out with his brother? doubt it but for now we will live through your pictures!!!
              I will see what I can do for you. I can totally ask someone there what they think the reason is. That will be my homework, I will complete for you teacher :)

#19 Christine

Christine
              • VIP Member
              • 21,514 posts
              • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

great-nice new siggy by the way...love it!!

#20 JulieG

JulieG
              • VIP Member
              • 8,323 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:48 PM

Quote:
                great-nice new siggy by the way...love it!!
                Thanks, I am trying to change it though, the pic does not look so nice, washed out or something, hopefully this new one worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users