Need Advice

TammyB

Ok, #1 probably wouldn't be a huge issue to me (if I didn't read the other 2 issues), because we always take Raven with us everywhere (as long as it's not too warm/cold). So we go for dinner, sometimes a movie, and we leave her in the truck with the windows cracked because she loves people watching and the Explorer is still better than cooping her up in the kennel at home. (But we also have cushy blankets in the back, and keep food/water dishes filled in the truck for her too). We also take her on vacation with us, and camp out if we can't find a pet friendly hotel to stay in. (We spoil her and love doing it! :)

Now, the other 2 items, I think you should discuss it with the couple. Without offering any leading information, pose the "what if" questions to them. I think the most important thing is whether they would bond and have a sense of commitment to Elsie. Owners make mistakes, especially if they're never adopted mill dogs (or a new breed they aren't familiar with), etc... but the real question is: if Elsie started regressing in her potty training, what would they do? Do they have plans on how they would integrate the dogs? What happens if the dogs have difficulty getting along?

Commitment and education are the two biggest obstacles to animal adoptions. People drop animals off at shelters because they aren't willing to adjust their lifestyle or spend the time fixing the issue. And sometimes, the people just have no clue how to overcome obstacles with animals, and have no idea what resources to turn to.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
Ok, #1 probably wouldn't be a huge issue to me (if I didn't read the other 2 issues), because we always take Raven with us everywhere (as long as it's not too warm/cold). So we go for dinner, sometimes a movie, and we leave her in the truck with the windows cracked because she loves people watching and the Explorer is still better than cooping her up in the kennel at home. (But we also have cushy blankets in the back, and keep food/water dishes filled in the truck for her too). We also take her on vacation with us, and camp out if we can't find a pet friendly hotel to stay in. (We spoil her and love doing it! :)
Wouldn't you be worried going to see a movie while your dog were left in the car? I mean I hear all the time that dogs are stolen out of cars.

I understand their are times when their is no choice but to leave your pets in the car. But I know personally that if Cain and I are on a long road trip and our dogs are with us, we don't stop at eat at a sit down place, we grab fast food. Yeah who wants to eat fast food all the time, but for us it's not worth the risk of something happening to them. IF their is a time that one of us is traveling with our dogs, and say we have to really use the restroom, yes we leave the dog in the car, but it's for less them 5 minutes.

I know everyone has a different point of view on this subject, but should that be a deal breaker if we are strongly against people leaving their pets in their car, however others in the rescue group have said they do it from time to time for no longer then 15-30 minutes?

I never leave mine in my car ever! One of the reasons being I don't want her stolen, other being I just don't like it too many dogs die in cars. What happens if you lose your car keys and the dogs is in the car?

The only time I've left my rotty in the car is when its been outside of the vets and I've thought it was safer to put her in there but she is less than 2 ft away and i can get there in 5 secs

Hi Tammy,

I went through this almost same situtation last year. We had a pup from when she was five weeks to seven months old and we wanted to keep her more than anything. We adopted her out to people that I was alright with but not in love with for Kate. I started really missing her and having doubts about this placement, especially after my FI told me a little about her (she was a customer of his at a rent to own company), so I did a home visit check up and could not beleive how things were for my sweet sweet Kate. We did not pull her immediatly, but kept a very close eye and things only got worse! Moral of my story is, we all have intuition... If you are not feeling it, there is a reason you are not feeling it... Yes you love your foster and you want the best for them, so you will find it, no matter how long it takes you and how picky you are, you will find it... These people you described sound unreliable and unresponsible pet owners... good luck!

Probably not the best house for her. Sounds like this couple might need a dog training class or two. Sounds like they might be really loving dog parents but not educated enough in training and caring for dogs to have not one but two pups.

Well, we called this couple last night, and then we spoke to a couple of the board members about them. We determined that they are probably just young and not very experienced, but that they should still be a good match. :-(((

So Elsie will be going to her new forever home next Saturday. OH I did threaten the women that if she doesn't keep in contact and send updates that I will hunt her down. :-) She laughed, but ummm I'm serious.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyB View Post
Oh trust me, I will. Plus the person that did the homevisit lives close to her so I may send him over to do a check up. :-)
That has to bring you some comfort, Tammy -- lots of good thoughts coming Elsie's way that she's found her new, loving, forever home. Big hugs to her.

Tammy,

We just adopted a boxer this past Sunday (haven't even had him a week!). The couple found him stray in January and have had him ever since! Needless to say, they fell in love with him but could not keep him because they are renting their home and landlord does not allow pets long-term. I found him on petfinder.com and contacted the foster parents. She told me that from the very first Email I sent her, she knew we were the perfect match for Marli. The owner of the rescue organization felt the same way. We have another dog, Kaia, who is not perfect by anymeans and who we keep in our laundry room when we are gone. That is where we told them that Marli would stay as well. Just keep in mind that everyone has little flaws, but they will work them out and find what is best for both dogs. I am sorry you have to lose Elsie, but I hope you are feeling better about it!