Dog had a seizure last night

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

Good morning. So Sheeba had a small seizure last night! Joe wasn't home, and I was drying my hair. I go out into the hall way and I see her laying kinda on her back with her paws around her snout...so I thought she was playing. Than I realize she is locked up like that and she started to convulse and I realized it was a seizure. My old dog, Ted, used to get them bad, he had epilepsy. So I'm sitting there with her, and talkig to her tryig to calm her down. Iit was so sad to watch, I HATE seeing that, this is why I could never be a vet. So anyway, after about 5 minutes she was done and was back up and running around like normal!!?? It was very strange. When Ted used to get them he would droul really bad, lose control of his blatter, be zoned out for hours, it was sad. So Sheeba didnt get that way so thats why I thought it was just a minor one, ?? Poor baby. I'm going to call the vet and see what they think. So strange, does anyone have any idea about why this happened? She is a Shiba Inu (Joe named her Sheeba, isnt he original? ha) and I'm not sure of any problems that breed might have... ??

#2 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 10,366 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

oh, no that is so sad. definitely call the vet and see what they say, I hope she's ok

#3 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

Oh no, how scary Jacqueline! I would have freaked out because I have no experience with that. Let us know what the vet says. I hope your baby is okay :)

#4 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
        • Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

Jac that's scary! For sure call the vet and see what they think, maybe she sould go in and get checked. It's not good Ted had that before too, but at least it helped that you knew what was happening. Poor doggie Give her a hug from us.

#5 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Oh no! Poor sweetie! I've no idea why it would have happened, but the fact that she recovered so quickly must be a good sign.

Keep us posted!!!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#6 Spazz

Spazz
        • VIP Member
        • 10,482 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

Oh no, that is so scary! Let us know what the vet says.

#7 lscilley

lscilley
          • 1,466 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

That's so sad I could never sit and watch that either if it was my pet I get really attached to mine. I hope you find out what caused it.

#8 Christine

Christine
            • VIP Member
            • 21,514 posts
            • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
            • Wedding Location:Napa, California
            • LocationReno, NV

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

oh how scary, I hope she is okay.
            Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#9 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

:o( I know she is the sweetest dog and it is the hardest thing to watch. I just dont know WHY it happened. I thought maybe she got a hold of some pills laying arouund, like tylonol pm's or something (since im addicted!! lol) But they arent laying around all over, they are on my night stand. Maybe my cat knocked it off, ?? maybe she ate something outside in the yard, I have no idea. We will see, I'll keep u informed. When my old dog used to have them, the vet told us it was good to let them hear your voice to comfort them but not to get too close to their face, b/c sometimes they might snap at you, not being mean but just a scared reaction, and if they get ahold of you, the jaw can locked due to the seizure :o( So keep that in mind if it ever happens to any of you. Ted grabbed my hand one time and my hand was black and blue and SO swollen!

#10 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

that is really scary! i probably would have freaked out and rushed him to UPenn Vet Hospital. Definitely call your Dr. ASAP and keep us updated!!! xoxo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users