*The official St. Lucia Brides CHAT thread*

Jennifer

Hair!!!  Yes, VERY humid.  The humidity seemed to drop after the sun is down.  I had flat-ironed my hair the morning we left, and as soon as I got into the terminal at Hewanorra, it was all frizzy.  I had brought an oil-based hair serum which I used profusely after washing my hair.  The problem is, there were no hair dryer in my room, and I did so much swimming!  So I had to let it hair dry everytime, which didn't really give me a good idea of what would happen if my hair was all well done.  But yeah, it is so hot and humid, I couldn't stand the weight of my hair on my neck...

Just jumping in real quick. 

*The departure tax ($26) is now included in your ticket fare.  The first time I went to St. Lucia in '07, I had to pay it in cash.  When I went for our wedding, the rules had already changed so no one had to deal with that.

*Hair and humidity -- seriously, it's no joke.  My MOH did the long waves and her hair looked awful by the time the ceremony started.  I made sure my hair was up and out of my face and I was very happy with that decision.  Also, keep in mind that you may swell a little in your dress.  I had to ask MOH to loosen it a little bit twice (thank goodness for the corset back), so just keep that in mind when you're getting your fittings.

*My dress arrived in a big crumpled mess (long story), but this is where the humidty is helpful.  I literally gave it a quick shake and it was 100% wrinkle free.  You realyl do not have to worry about your dress getting all wrinkled, nature has that covered.

*I've never had a problem with the ride from the airport, but I have heard some people say that they get a little motion sickness.  Some people comment on it being scary in the cabs, but that's just the way people drive there.  Honestly, I think the driving is safer there than in New York. 

I'm jealous of all your upcoming weddings!  Enjoy every moment and do not expect things will go perfectly.  Just remember that you are in one of the most beautiful places in the world marrying the love of your life!

I forgot to mention...for those of you seeking for some tour ideas or things to do, I saw a company there at our resort, they seemed to have it quite together with their car and stuff.  I just checked their website and it is quite nice.  They are called Solar Tours & Travel.

I was just on the saintlucianow.com website chatting with a travel agent from Ontario who just came back from touring 10 different hotels on St.Lucia.  She told me she has lots of pictures, you can email her at travelwithdonna@gto.net

So I am now looking into a St.Lucia wedding followed with a Turks and Caico honeymoon (pending prices of course!).

PS. Watch out for the sun!  I'm always covered in SPF 30 to 50, and it seems like the 5 minute walk from our room to the breakfast spot was enough!  I thought I was gonna wait after breakfast when changing to my bathing suit to put lotion.  I'm a redhead that doesn't tan, I just burn.  I'm so glad about purchasing a rashguard just before I left!!!  It saved my back and shoulders while snorkeling.  Highly recommend it!

Wilsonj2 - you should still get some perks if you have 5 rooms, as per Sandals new brochure dated February 2011, which wasn't in the October 2010 brochure.  It says that if you book between 5 and 9 rooms, the bride and groom get a room upgrade to 1st level concierge category (excludes Butler suite).

Originally Posted by wilsonj2 View Post

MEve, sorry you're having so much trouble!  We are getting married at Sandals, and we booked through a well-recommended TA.  She has been FANTASTIC, and if you want her info, I can send it to you.  We did not do a "package deal," since Sandals doesn't discount the resort costs anyway, so everyone is booking the resort through our TA and booking airfare either through her or on their own when they find a good deal.

At first, so many people said they wanted to come, but many have backed out now.  I don't think we'll get the ten rooms (and all the perks that come with that), but that's okay.  We sent out invitations to everyone we wanted to invite.  We're still not sure how many will actually book, but we don't really have to know until May.  This makes it hard to plan ahead, but I'm okay with that because I'm a teacher and won't have the time until May anyway.  We have developed a very laid-back attitude with this whole destinationg wedding thing....I think you have to!

I don't know if I answered your questions or not, but let me know if you think I can help more.  I have been MIA because I have had so much on my plate lately.  First shower today :)  It's getting really exciting now...

Thanks for the info!  I'll have to check into the other perks at 5 rooms.  The upgrade would be nice if the resort wasn't completely sold out for the length of our stay. :( oh well

Originally Posted by MEve View Post

Wilsonj2 - you should still get some perks if you have 5 rooms, as per Sandals new brochure dated February 2011, which wasn't in the October 2010 brochure.  It says that if you book between 5 and 9 rooms, the bride and groom get a room upgrade to 1st level concierge category (excludes Butler suite).

Originally Posted by MEve View Post

Almond Morgan Bay review in terms of wedding:

we visited on April 3.

Buildings are spread on the hills, some upper buildings (the rooms with oceanview) requires to go up steep paths and up lots of stairs.  We were told all the rooms are pretty much the same, what changes is the views (oceanview = $$).  The rooms are very clean, refurbished, and allow guests to share or bring children (we saw a room with 2 double beds and one single bed).

The wedding gazebo is stubby, brown, but set on the top of a cliff which gives a panoramic view of the ocean.  Far from the beach, so no bathers in bathing suits nearby.

The beach is clean, nice, with lots of natural shades if you require some and umbrellas are all taken (I'm a redhead, so I look for shade).  There is a restaurant on a pier, but it doesn't take over the visual real estate of the beach.

Pros: allow guests to share rooms to bring down costs.  The view from the gazebo.  The restaurants do not close on rotation during the off season.  The beach is nice.

Cons: possibility of a long, sweaty walk for the bride to reach the gazebo.  Gazebo is somewhat unattractive on its own.

Comment: on the taxi on the way back, we picked-up a Toronto woman at the Almond, and she said the food was great.  She stayed a week, and did say that despite the 4 restaurants, in the end the food didn't feel very diverse, but that it was good.

On AMB......

The restaurants DO close in rotation in low season. When we were there in October they only had 2 or 3 open each night.

Also, they provide Beach buggy/golf carts to get around. You only need to call reception and they send someone. We always saw Brides and Grooms in them, so guess this is something they automatically offer.

There is also a wedding location on the Beach, which faces away from the main beach, so although you are near to sunbathers, they will not feature in your shot  

Good morning ladies!

OMG! OMG!  3 months to go!  I did not sleep well last night thinking that we just have 3 months left.  OMG!

I really feel the need to stop thinking about things and start "doing" them! LOL

Have a good day!

LilyRose

LilyRose,

I had that same epiphany a few weeks ago.  I'm crazy busy with work right now and travelling everywhere for it and trying to manage things remotely with 1.5 months left!  All I have to keep thinking in my head is THANK GOODNESS I HAVE MY DRESS AND SHOES and everyone is confirmed at the Villa!!  That's what helps put me to bed at night hahahaha  cheesy.gif