• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
  • VIP Member
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

UPDATED W/PICS - Scroll Down...

OK, I just realized I neglected to give my review of the hotel we stayed at during our site visit in December. (Got a little carried away with Las Caletas and Terra Noble, I'm sure some of you can understand that! )

Hopefully my memory will work with me here...

The Westin - Puerto Vallarta, Marina District
    Rooms: Depends on which category, but for our room I'd say B+/A-
    Service: A+
    Grounds: A
    Beach: B
    Overall: A

Nice welcome. Even though we booked a room w/2 double beds our TA said she was going to leave a note with the manager saying that we were on our site visit and to try and get us a King. When I brought this up with the front desk clerk they had not received any such note. She told us she could switch us if we wanted but that the room we were booked in had a great view, so we decided to go with it. When we got to our room we loved it. The bellboy called the maids and they rushed up and made a GREAT oversized King bed out of the 2 smaller. Everyone was sooo sweet about it. The balcony was perfect size w/a little table and two chairs. We were on the top floor (14th) and the view was amazing. We could see everything from the ocean to the mountains to Walmart (lol). Yes, the rooms are slightly outdated but they have a very cheerful feel to them with bright pinks/oranges/blues, etc. The bathroom wasn't "superb" but it was fine for us (and I can be picky). There were some small spots of mold and water damage but hey this is right next to the ocean so I was prepared. If they updated the rooms a bit and took care of the mold I would give the rooms a solid A.

We would definitely recommend getting a "Beach Club" grade room. This comes with private access to a very nice lounge area with big screen TVs and fantastic views of the ocean/mountains. Breakfast, "Light Appetizers" (you can make a meal out of these if so inclined - stuff like quesadillas, chicken wings, etc), Sodas/Juice/Beer/Wine and Self Service Full Bar are included during select times of the day. We LOVED just having to roll out of bed, hop down one floor and eat breakfast there every morning. Very refreshing. If you do not do this plan, I would suggest heading across the street to Tacos and Beer. We ate there a few times for lunch and loved it - excellent $1 tacos and $1 beer. They also seem to have a decent breakfast for around $5.

The pool was nice - tons of palm trees. Very relaxing Good pina coladas too. However, I would also recommend heading to Walmart your first day there and loading up on alcohol, non-alcoholic bevs, plastic cups and snacks. It will save you a TON of $$! We would make our margaritas in our room and walk around with them - nobody seemed to care. (You can get a bottle of Cuervo for $7 at Walmart)

There was not a ton of action going on around the pool but I really enjoyed the peace and quiet.

The beach was pretty good. Honestly we only got to spend one day on the beach and I had several pina coladas so it gets a little fuzzy here There was a red tide which I had never heard of, but Martin said it was dangerous so we stayed out of the water.

Nikki Beach Club was always dead when we tried to go (granted this was the week before XMas so the hotel wasn't very full). We finally ate lunch there while waiting to head out to the airport and it was DELICIOUS!!! I had shrimp quesadillas and a pina colada - mmmmmm, soooo decadent

Let's see, what else...
    I can't really think of anything right now. If you have a specific question just post here and I'd be happy to try and answer it.

Overall we would definitely recommend it. This is where we are advising our guests to stay for our Las Caletas wedding. Since it is in the marina area it's very close to where you go to catch the boat out there.

Ok, pics to come.....

~ Jaime & Martin ~
    "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

Thanks, I enjoyed that. Tacos & Beer, must remember that for the next PV trip!

#3 edna

edna
      • Site Supporter
      • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Thank you for the review Jaime and for sure I will try the tacos & beer for the next time!

#4 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 5,752 posts
        • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

thanks for this review jaime -- our wedding is at the westin in los cabos, and we booked a royal beach club room because it comes as part of an upgrade for filling our room block. im so happy to know that you enjoyed it and thought it was worth it, we didnt know anyone who had stayed in a RBC room before, so im glad to hear you loved it!

#5 Yari

Yari
        • VIP Member
        • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the review! I love tacos...must remember that restaurant.

#6 Lorilou

Lorilou
          • 533 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Jaime for the review. we, along with many of our guests, staying at the Westin in PV for our wedding in 43 days!! so happy that it got decent reviews. bummer about the beach though...oh well at least we didn't pay an arm and a leg. we definitely plan on making a run to wal mart for "supplies"-beer, wine, margs...etc. to save some pesos.

#7 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
            • Moderators
            • 25,218 posts
            • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
            • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hey, teaser! Where are the promised pics?
            I stayed there years ago when it was our crew hotel, it was so nice! And PV is so small, not like Cabo to San Jose, so from the marina to downtown is only like a 10 min cab ride. Nice!

#8 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
            • VIP Member
            • 4,791 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Lorilou
              Thanks Jaime for the review. we, along with many of our guests, staying at the Westin in PV for our wedding in 43 days!! so happy that it got decent reviews. bummer about the beach though...oh well at least we didn't pay an arm and a leg. we definitely plan on making a run to wal mart for "supplies"-beer, wine, margs...etc. to save some pesos.
              Very cool, I can't wait to see the review your group gives it!

Quote:
              Originally Posted by DougsGirl
              Hey, teaser! Where are the promised pics?
              I stayed there years ago when it was our crew hotel, it was so nice! And PV is so small, not like Cabo to San Jose, so from the marina to downtown is only like a 10 min cab ride. Nice!
              Hahaha, you called me on it. Bad Jaime!
              Actually I realized I had 100 pics and it was late when I wrote this so I fell asleep while they were uploading to photobucket... I've got to run to school soon but I will try and get them up this week. At least a few teasers and then a link to the rest...

~ Jaime & Martin ~
              "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#9 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
              • VIP Member
              • 4,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

OK, here are some pics as promised...

Our Room:
                Click the image to open in full size.

Partial View from our Balcony:

Another View from our Balcony:

Martin at Tacos & Beer:

2 Views from the Royal Beach Club @ Breakfast:

Pic of the Rooms from the Pool

2 Pics of the Pool:

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

#10 jajajaja

jajajaja
                • VIP Member
                • 9,794 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Great review. Looks fabulous. That pink ceiling looks so odd in the room though. And I love Martin on the bed. Does every guy do that when the go into a hotel room? Half sit on the bed and grab the remote. I swear I have several pics of Steve like that.
                  Happily married since 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users