Ethnic Brides...How 'Bout Makeup??

Just wondering what everyone was planning to use as far as product for their wedding. I know as women of color we have a unique challenge finding a line of products offered in the diverse color spectrum we require. So I'm hoping to get some input from everyone on what they use, what they want to try, what they've heard about and what they KNOW works! I figure we're already discussing hair...lets work our way down.

I'm hoping to find the right base/foundation that will be light enough for the Mexico heat and hold up in high humidity. Any suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAC is the only makeup I have found that comes in my color. I use their Studio Tech foundation. I bought a huge hat to wear the few days we are there before the ceremony so hopefully my face will still be the same color!

I do need to get waterproof mascara and eyeliner if anyone has any recommendations.

I live in a relatively small town (albeit the state capital..Springfield) about two hours south of Chicago. We don't have any MAC counters anywhere around here...which is something that irritates the hell outta me. But I'm thinking of just taking a leap of faith and ordering from their site and doing a little trial and error. That can get expensive, but oh well. I've always wanted to try it, and can't see any way to do so without a major drive in my future.

We do have Prescriptives here in the mall...BFB, what do you like specifically about it? I have oily skin...a few patches of dry, but believe me, I feel like I could fry a chicken on my forehead by the end of the day.

Because I absolutely hate wearing foundation and lots of make up - I really think it can often times "trick" people .... look below

Click the image to open in full size.

smile120.gif

I found Perscriptives to feel really natural. I still dont wear makeup often but when I do its usually if Im going out or if I will be in the sun and I cant even remember its on me. In fact no one but me knows that i have it on. I also like it because it comes with sunscreen.

The other reason why I have stuck with Perscriptives is the way they decide your color. they do this color test on your skin to determine your undertone (something like that) to pick which color is best for you. Some stores also do custom blend and make foundation just for you!

I dont have oily skin and I use Click the image to open in full size.

They do have an oil control foundation.

Oh yeah, they have this stuff I love! Its called Magic - Its a foundation Primer. You can wear it under your foundation or alone like I do and it gives your face a bronzed like shimmer.

I like mac stuff too but when I think of mac I think of creative diva! Im not really a diva or creative in the makeup area! I do love what they can do with eyes! I also like mac lip gloss. I think after seeing the people that work there I am so scared to use their foundation! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysBride View Post
Just wondering what everyone was planning to use as far as product for their wedding. I know as women of color we have a unique challenge finding a line of products offered in the diverse color spectrum we require. So I'm hoping to get some input from everyone on what they use, what they want to try, what they've heard about and what they KNOW works! I figure we're already discussing hair...lets work our way down.

I'm hoping to find the right base/foundation that will be light enough for the Mexico heat and hold up in high humidity. Any suggestions?
I had my first trial makeup session this weekend. I went to the mall & stopped by the Bare Escentuals store to try their Bare Minerals line. I never really wear foundation but this felt light. Although I felt like I had alot of makeup on cuz I'm not used to it, it did feel light on my skin. So maybe try that & see how you like it. I'm going to do my MAC trial today so that I have something to compare it to.
Good luck!

I highly recommend bare escentuals. I love all their products from their foundations to their lipglosses. I wear the foundation almost every day and it is very light. But it also lasts. As far as eyeshadow I like Urban Decay. They have this eyeshadow primer potion that you put on before the eyeshadow and it really makes your eyeshadow last. Last summer I went to Florida for vacation, I applied the primer potion and then some of their shadow and it lasted all day with out a smudge. I posted a few pics below and a link to urban decay at sephora.

Urban Decay Cosmetics at Sephora.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveangel0610 View Post
I highly recommend bare escentuals. I love all their products from their foundations to their lipglosses. I wear the foundation almost every day and it is very light. But it also lasts.
That is so true...the makeup lasted the entire day. I also found that it if I touched my face, the makeup didn't come off on my hand too much. It really stayed in place!