Legality of Wedding in Cabos

Hello ladies, I was wondering if you have a legal ceremony in Mexico and you go through the blood work, etc. is there anything you need to do once you get back to the states to have your marriage recognized as being legal? (particularly in New York)? I went through Maye Cortinas to get the judge and set up the blood work, paper work processing etc.

Thanks so much. I leave tomorrow for my wedding on Saturday at the Westin and I had this last minute fleeting thought and was like, oh sh*&....I need to figure this out before I leave tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hi there.

All you need to do is, as soon as you get to NY, go to city hall or courthouse (Wherever you get married when doing it legal in NY), and file the document and that's it... Just in case, if they tell you that it's not valid, ask to speak with a supervisor, also, have it translated to English.

Ps.- Remember, your married in Mexico...Under mexican laws... hehehe funny ain't ithuh.gif

Hi there!!

Most states will only require that you file a copy of your marriage license once you get back but I have come across a couple of exceptions - NJ and TX - which have required an apostilled/translated/certified copy of the marriage license... I think you should be ok.

Congratulations and have a great time in Cabo! the weather is wonderful... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllureEventDesign View Post
Hi there!!

Most states will only require that you file a copy of your marriage license once you get back but I have come across a couple of exceptions - NJ and TX - which have required an apostilled/translated/certified copy of the marriage license... I think you should be ok.

Congratulations and have a great time in Cabo! the weather is wonderful... =)
Hello,

I live in TX and am having my legal wedding in Cabo....so when I get back to TX I have to give a notarized copy of the marriage license to my local courthouse? I am also confused about this process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristendotcom View Post
Hello,

I live in TX and am having my legal wedding in Cabo....so when I get back to TX I have to give a notarized copy of the marriage license to my local courthouse? I am also confused about this process!
Hi Kristen,

You should check with the courthouse but also with the SS office (name?) if you are planning on changing your name as this doc is obviously required... I've found that it is not always required but it's best to be prepared. You can get your doc translated here in Cabo and then apostilled here in La Paz. The process takes a couple of weeks to complete after the wedding...

Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllureEventDesign View Post
Hi Kristen,

You should check with the courthouse but also with the SS office (name?) if you are planning on changing your name as this doc is obviously required... I've found that it is not always required but it's best to be prepared. You can get your doc translated here in Cabo and then apostilled here in La Paz. The process takes a couple of weeks to complete after the wedding...

Good luck!!
Oh ok, thank you for the advice! I will call my local courthouse.