Sandals Brides Updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedra27 View Post
Hello, Did any of you rent a cabana around the pool? From what I hear they are $100/day and you get a special menu with lunch and dinner in the cabana. I'm wondering if the food is even any different and it the cabana is worth it. Thanks
We didn't rent a cabana, but seriously thought about it. They looked like a great way to spend the day by the pool. They have fans, robes, really comfy looking chairs. I'm not sure how the food is, but I'd bet it's just a step up from the grill food. I'd say go ahead and splurge for a day!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedra27 View Post
We'll definetly have to consider it. One more question (for now)! Did they provide lots of hangers for your clothing? I don't want to pack any if they have them provided.
I usually hagn everything up so no there were not enough hangers for me. I did bring some from home though (6 or7) and there are were like 4 huge drawers in our room so I did fold some stuff.

One thing those going soon might want to think about is how or if you are going to call home. We had a lot of trouble with this. 800 numbers do not work in Jamica! We were not able to check our checking account or even our credit card balances (BWT no ATM at the resort). I also have kids and wanted to talk to them so the calling cards we bought did not work. We ended up buying them in the gift shop fo $20 and all we were able to do was call the credit card, the bank and home once and then it was used up so I called the main desk and got the number for people to call in and used our credit card to call home (for a 1 minute call it cost us $10!!!!). I had my parents who were babysiting call every evening and it only cost us $12 for 4 several minute phone calls on our home bill. I wish we would have just had them call us in the first place! I was told not to call home collect cause it would cost a fortune and our friends were planning using thier verizon cell phone but they were not able to call out. They could recive calls though. It was $1.50 a minute for thier calls. I just thought I would pass this info on to everyone. I wish I would have known it before going. Between getting cash and calling home, it was a big headach! Everything else was perfect though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisandsteph View Post
One thing those going soon might want to think about is how or if you are going to call home. We had a lot of trouble with this. 800 numbers do not work in Jamica! We were not able to check our checking account or even our credit card balances (BWT no ATM at the resort). I also have kids and wanted to talk to them so the calling cards we bought did not work. We ended up buying them in the gift shop fo $20 and all we were able to do was call the credit card, the bank and home once and then it was used up so I called the main desk and got the number for people to call in and used our credit card to call home (for a 1 minute call it cost us $10!!!!). I had my parents who were babysiting call every evening and it only cost us $12 for 4 several minute phone calls on our home bill. I wish we would have just had them call us in the first place! I was told not to call home collect cause it would cost a fortune and our friends were planning using thier verizon cell phone but they were not able to call out. They could recive calls though. It was $1.50 a minute for thier calls. I just thought I would pass this info on to everyone. I wish I would have known it before going. Between getting cash and calling home, it was a big headach! Everything else was perfect though!

We used our cell phones throughout our trip and we fretted over what the bill would be once we returned! LOL! We had guests calling us, venders (Lee's Tours, and my photographer) and everyone else under the sun! We kept trying to keep calls to a minimum, but in the end just saw it as a necessary evil. I just got my bill from that time period and the roaming charges were $245! (I use TMobile) I haven't seen hubby's bill yet! (He's with Sprint!)

Another option that may be useful that was shared with us wayyy too late was to buy a local SIM card and insert it into your phone. That way you would avoid roaming charges. SIM cards costed about $16. Anyone trying to work out their communication issues may want to consider this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieBride08 View Post
We used our cell phones throughout our trip and we fretted over what the bill would be once we returned! LOL! We had guests calling us, venders (Lee's Tours, and my photographer) and everyone else under the sun! We kept trying to keep calls to a minimum, but in the end just saw it as a necessary evil. I just got my bill from that time period and the roaming charges were $245! (I use TMobile) I haven't seen hubby's bill yet! (He's with Sprint!)

Another option that may be useful that was shared with us wayyy too late was to buy a local SIM card and insert it into your phone. That way you would avoid roaming charges. SIM cards costed about $16. Anyone trying to work out their communication issues may want to consider this option.

Wow that is crazy that you had to spend that much and yes I understand it was necessary! I mean you have to been able to communicate. Right before we left for Jamaica our cell phone was left in the rain. No one was to blame really, it just happen. (ok I admit it, I did it...lol) And we only have one since I do not work. It works out ok. I guess it was a blessing cause we would have been on it more and racked up high bill too! Ours is Cingular Wirless and I did not even check on their rates.
The SIM card is a great idea though. It would have saved you a ton I am sure!

I have a question how much did you tip all the various drivers? Did you go to Margaritaville that night that it was Sandals night? We did and we had this horrible bus driver. He demanded a tip and was rude when people handed him a 10. He reminded then that that was how he made his living and he did not get paid by anyone to drive the bus that night. We gave him 20 cause we had no change. I would have gave him no more than 10 if we had change! I had the money issue there. We had soooo much trouble getting cash!

Nope, we never did Margaritaville. We went to the Jubilee though. We decided to skip the 'Ville cuz we weren't in the mood for clubbing and that's how we kept hearing people describe that particular trip.

The business with the driver was craziness though! They can't brow-beat someone into giving a tip, come on! LOL! fencing.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisandsteph View Post
I have a question how much did you tip all the various drivers? Did you go to Margaritaville that night that it was Sandals night? We did and we had this horrible bus driver. He demanded a tip and was rude when people handed him a 10. He reminded then that that was how he made his living and he did not get paid by anyone to drive the bus that night. We gave him 20 cause we had no change. I would have gave him no more than 10 if we had change! I had the money issue there. We had soooo much trouble getting cash!
Yikes! That's scary. Now I'm wondering if we should even leave the resort at all. I was thinking Margaritaville would be a fun trip for our crew but now I have second thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
Yikes! That's scary. Now I'm wondering if we should even leave the resort at all. I was thinking Margaritaville would be a fun trip for our crew but now I have second thoughts.
Don't worry, that was just a special trip coordinated by Sandals and Margaritaville. They wanted to try to get several SGOR guests over there for a special "Sandals Night" that was planned for resort guests. If you plan your own trip to Margaritaville, I don't think you would have the same experience.

Most of the resorts have a Margarittaville night. Margarittaville provides the driver to get people there- the $20 tip was definately overkill- it's not that far of a drive! Definately don't let it scare you out of having a good time there!

Depending on how many guests you have you may want to make it a group excursion and have your own driver take all of you over & back. It's a lot of fun to go during that day when a cruise ship is in ( crowded and busy too!) but it can get hopping!