Photo

Getting "married" before DW?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

We got married in the US 5 days before we left for Cabo. Like most of you we thought it would be better to have our legal paper work in the US.

#22 happygilmore

happygilmore
    • 576 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

Like most everyone else, we plan on doing it a few days before...lot less hassle for everyone!

#23 Andi

Andi

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 3,490 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ana
        We are going to get legally married here about a month before our wedding and then we're having our religious ceremony at the Church in Cabo. We just didn't want to have to worry about it there and having blood taken etc...
        I have to admit, that having blood taken thing down in Mexico does sort of freak me out! that alone is reason enough to get "officially" married in the states!

#24 DRbride

DRbride
        • 108 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:03 PM

Our DW is 7.11 and we secretly got married yesterday after work in the court house. We had of 2 witnesses, which were my parents, and it was so quick and easy. I was so nervous that it was going to take away from my DW but it was nothing and honestly was so fast, it didn't feel like a wedding. We did it so early so I could switch my health insurance, but we knew we were going to do it, so what's 3 months earlier? Dominican Republic also says its about 3-4 months to get a marriage license and that was ridiculous. I just feel a lot better if everything was filed in our hometown. Good luck!

#25 MsSunshine

MsSunshine
          • 415 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

My hubby and I got married by the Justic of the Peace 2 years ago. Its alot easier to do this in the U.S. When you have your DW...it will be the real deal and extra special.

#26 AMANDA310

AMANDA310
            • 101 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

We got married Feb. this year and our wedding isn't until June 6 2009.
              I think it is going to save a whole lot of time & money & I really don't feel it has taken away from our Cabo symbolic cermony because I really didn't invite anyone to join in on the Feb last minute wedding.

If you come up with any more questions about it, let me know maybe I can help you out. The ladies above were absolutly right about the name change things...I'm going through that right now as we speak! haha

Thomas & I

#27 Cyclone

Cyclone
              • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

We are getting married after the DW. TOOOOOO much paper work to get ready and stuff to take to Mexico so i thought we can do Civil here later and do the Spiritual first because to me the spititual means more.

#28 Duchess

Duchess
                • 358 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Ana Cerda
                  We will be married before we go to Mexico. If you don't do it in the United States, it means that everytime that you need a copy marriage certificate you will have to get it from Mexico. Anyway, I believe almost everyone gets marry first and then to DW.
                  Especially Mexico brides. From what I hear, its kind of pain to do a legal ceremony there. I have a friend who did, but her wedding was in Spanish. We are keeping it a secret, but I have already been a little to "blabby" on that.

Hey does anyone know if the legal US ceremony has to be in the state you reside? We thought it would be nice to do it in his hometown (Port Huron, MI) since Puerto Vallarta is my family's vacation spot. Has anyone dealt with this?

THANKS!

#29 AmandaR

AmandaR
                  • 241 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:03 PM

It looks like we're definitely going to be tying the knot before our DW - unfortunately FI lost his job today, and we'll have to get him on my insurance ASAP. Just when things were getting less stressful...Fortunately, we're both looking at the positive side of things - he didn't enjoy his job anyway, and was going to start looking after the wedding. This just sped things up by about 6 weeks!

Amanda

#30 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Duchess
                      Especially Mexico brides. From what I hear, its kind of pain to do a legal ceremony there. I have a friend who did, but her wedding was in Spanish. We are keeping it a secret, but I have already been a little to "blabby" on that.

Hey does anyone know if the legal US ceremony has to be in the state you reside? We thought it would be nice to do it in his hometown (Port Huron, MI) since Puerto Vallarta is my family's vacation spot. Has anyone dealt with this?

THANKS!
                      the rules vary by state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users