ACK! We're moving x-country the week before our wedding!

lyrebard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Wow! that is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time :)

did you already book your airline tix from NYC? can you change them from SD? at least you have a much faster flight.

i think Morgan convered the bases...the only other thing i would add is to inventory your boxes when you pack. you may need something and not have time to unpack every single thing.
what i recommend is (i know it sounds tedious) to make a list of everything that is going into a box (on excel if you can) and number the boxes and match those to the lists

Great tip. I labeled my boxes really good when I moved from Texas to NC. I also packed a box that was labeled "open first." It had shampoo, soap, showercutain rings & liner, a pot, plate, bowl, scissors, towel...just all the stuff you might want right away.

We had driven 24 hours & unpacked a bunch of stuff in the heat. It was nice being able to shower ASAP.

You can also ship your car. I think that can be expensive though. Are you moving a bird? Another option is to leave your bird with someone & your car and then get it later. SD is a place you can do without a car at first right? I've seen friends have to move off fast, so they left their cats, dogs, cars, etc. with someone else for a few weeks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
You can also ship your car. I think that can be expensive though. Are you moving a bird? Another option is to leave your bird with someone & your car and then get it later. SD is a place you can do without a car at first right? I've seen friends have to move off fast, so they left their cats, dogs, cars, etc. with someone else for a few weeks.
you can ship your car but its super expensive and no you really can't get around La Jolla without a car, the west coast is not known for its mass transit, although they did just put in a trolley but it doesn't go any where near La Jolla. It goes from the ball park into SDSU which is directly east not north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Wow, sounds stressful! Luckily you have Morgan to walk you thru it!

Morgan - you are so knowledgeable!
Ha Ha! I'm just surrounded by people moving all the time. Just about everyone I am friends with where I live now moved here from another state & will move out of state once they are done.

LOL. Thanks for the tips so far, everyone! And those are great suggestions, Morgan. I think we think alike: Pods were my first idea, but see below.

Re: my bird. I'd actually love to fly with her--I've moved a gajillion times, and whenever I do it by plane she flies in a little carrier underneath the seat in front of me. It's great, especially as the silly thing gets carsick. But she's moved cross-country in a car, and does get used to it.

Re: Pods. I really, really thought this was the way to go! But when I called to get an estimate, they told me that neither NYC or San Diego have parking allowances for them, and there's certainly no room on our "property" to park it. (love apartment life in New York, LOL!) Wonder if we could pack it up fast, and unpack it fast, so that parking wasn't an issue.

Since Mark is going to have to work from the day after we leave Mexico, coming back to NYC post-wedding isn't really an option. Although I LOVE the idea of our stuff moving across country while we're sunning ourselves on the Caribbean shore. =) Just have to figure out a way to handle it all... If we drive, I'd have to put all we need to live for the next week, as well as wedding stuff, and my bird, in my little Mini Cooper. Having problems visualizing that one, hee.

Christine: I would love any and all suggestions for housing you have! (So far I'm looking at the Hillcrest neighborhood, as it seems quaint enough to keep me satisfied and close enough for Mark to walk or bike to work.)

Alyssa: Thanks for the concern, but don't worry, we haven't bought our plane tickets yet. We were being held hostage by the Match, and decided it would make more sense to know where we were moving to and when the residency would start before we bought tickets. And man, I'm so glad we waited!

Guess I'd better get my butt in gear and start organizing our wedding, since now it doesn't look like I'll have much leisure time as it gets close.

Hillcrest is not close enough to walk or bike to La Jolla unless he is being put at the hospital there, I used to work in Hillcrest it is a quaint area, it is the rainbow district (not sure if that's the right term), which I think makes it incredibly safe to walk around.

Hillcrest is off the 163 near Balboa park, which is awesome and my favorite place in San Diego. What hospital will he be at?

oh and by the way, what is your first name, I am sorry I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrebard View Post
LOL. Thanks for the tips so far, everyone! And those are great suggestions, Morgan. I think we think alike: Pods were my first idea, but see below.

Re: my bird. I'd actually love to fly with her--I've moved a gajillion times, and whenever I do it by plane she flies in a little carrier underneath the seat in front of me. It's great, especially as the silly thing gets carsick. But she's moved cross-country in a car, and does get used to it.

Re: Pods. I really, really thought this was the way to go! But when I called to get an estimate, they told me that neither NYC or San Diego have parking allowances for them, and there's certainly no room on our "property" to park it. (love apartment life in New York, LOL!) Wonder if we could pack it up fast, and unpack it fast, so that parking wasn't an issue.

Since Mark is going to have to work from the day after we leave Mexico, coming back to NYC post-wedding isn't really an option. Although I LOVE the idea of our stuff moving across country while we're sunning ourselves on the Caribbean shore. =) Just have to figure out a way to handle it all... If we drive, I'd have to put all we need to live for the next week, as well as wedding stuff, and my bird, in my little Mini Cooper. Having problems visualizing that one, hee.

Christine: I would love any and all suggestions for housing you have! (So far I'm looking at the Hillcrest neighborhood, as it seems quaint enough to keep me satisfied and close enough for Mark to walk or bike to work.)

Alyssa: Thanks for the concern, but don't worry, we haven't bought our plane tickets yet. We were being held hostage by the Match, and decided it would make more sense to know where we were moving to and when the residency would start before we bought tickets. And man, I'm so glad we waited!

Guess I'd better get my butt in gear and start organizing our wedding, since now it doesn't look like I'll have much leisure time as it gets close.
I was worried about that since you are in NYC. Is there a facility where you can take your stuff & load it up since they can't bring it to you?

Do you have a lot of stuff? I have a friend that moved from Washington to NC by flying her stuff. She shipped all her books media rate. Then she checked everything else on her flight. It was when southwest allowed 3 checked bags weighing 75 lbs each. Also her parents flew with her so she got all their luggage too. Probably wouldn't work for you.

That is so great your bird can fly in the cabin with you. I'd be so scared to check a pet.