Sign in to follow this  
Virg

Are Save the Month cards acceptable instead of STD?

If you don't have a date, I would send out an engagement announcement. That way you can say you are planning a DW in May, info and invitaitons to follow. You should go ahead and get a web-site going so you can add details as you figure out what they are, and get your guests used to checking it!

alright without having read any of the other responses, let me tell you my thoughts.

1) if i got a save the month card, i would be like WTF. i am one of those people with an extremely busy work schedule and i dont put anything on my calendar until a date is confirmed. if you havent booked and you dont have a date even set, (and if youre set on sending something out) send an engagement announcement instead that includes info that you're planning a DW and are hoping to do it in may of 2009. tell people to stay tuned to your wedding website for details.

2) save the dates sent so super early may cause people to forget

3) if its mostly extended family who dont know of your plans for a DW, enlist the help of your parents and start calling family members. then you avoid having to call every relative yourself, AND you save on the cost of sending stuff out plus postage. wait to send stuff until you have details in stone. make it clear with people that you have a website and will update it and will send out stuff in the mail as soon as you have stuff booked. that way, everyone knows its coming

just my 2 cents (ok, more like 10)

I think a save the month is a good idea - our friends/ family were happy to hear about it well in advance so they could start saving up!!

I would NOT put a date until you know for sure - we have had to change the date 3 times and now people can't come because we won't be able to do it when kids have off school like our save the date says sad.gif( Plus, it's been a hassle telling people new dates over and over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggie1013 View Post
I understand dealing with May 2009!! I already have the villa booked where we'll be having the reception and staying (along with our immediate families and close friends) and the date is set in stone. Airfare cannot be booked until 330 days before the flight, but I'm not worried about that. Flights to St Lucia don't exactly fill up the first day. We're actually ditching the STDs and going for super early invitations. I hate how invitations just turn into a formality. If people need to know 10 months in advance so they can plan according, then I'm going to invite them 10 months in advance. I know many probably disagree with me on this, but if I'm going to work really hard on boarding pass invites, I want them to be more than just a formality.

Oops, sorry for the rant. Anyway, back to the point, I wouldn't bother sending out a save the month. I would wait until you have the actual date--and it's definitely not too early to set that. Don't let people make you think it is. And feel free to send out STDs as early as you want. No harm in that!
Too funny!! You sound just like me! I was ranting to my fiance about all this yesterday and said almost the same things! lol I ma be wrong, but I was under the impression that the resorts wouldn't let ou confirm a date unless you had your airline ticket purchased?

P.S. I am doing Boarding pass invites too!

This is all great information ladies! I have so many options now!! I think that this will be a major headache until we finally decide what to do. Hopefull it will just come to me after a good night's sleep!

I didn't do a Save the Date....we did a wedding website instead and updated it daily/weekly as we figured out the plan. Those without computer access (like senior relatives) found out by word of mouth.